= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Mar 19, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #12,361 of 21,171
HE-560 addiction? 
atsmile.gif

he-560 blackout & now he-560 withdraw 
wink_face.gif

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #12,364 of 21,171

Great to hear. Eventually many audiophiles will crave a new sound signature no matter how satisfied they are with their current gear. Just the nature of the audio beast. Like good wine or coffee, if you drink the same varieties over and over again, eventually you become used to them and the pleasure centre in your brain will not react as strongly. Same for audio. Get that wallet ready!

Sonic I guess you didn't look at my signature. I already listen to a variety of sound signatures my friend. I'm not a huge headphone type guy anyway. So I can say with confidence I'm done ... lol

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #12,365 of 21,171
Sonic I guess you didn't look at my signature. I already listen to a variety of sound signatures my friend. I'm not a huge headphone type guy anyway. So I can say with confidence I'm done ... lol

I call bs on that I'm done fantasy

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:22 PM Post #12,366 of 21,171
  The 560 does not have more body compared to the HE-6 - not in a million years - IMO.  If someone hears that - that must be the direct result of a thin sounding amp.  On the same amp the 560 is clearly thinner, while the HE-6 has body for days.  

I agree with the fast and aggressive nature of the HE-6.  I also agree the decay is somewhat fast as well -  faster than any of the LCDs but not as fast as the HD800 or SR-009.  

I think the HE-560 does have more bass body. But that's not necessarily a good thing. That means it sounds a bit more bloated than the HE-6.

In a sense, the HE-560 is closer to Audeze headphones, whereas the HE-6 is closer to the Hifiman house sound, which is typically snappy, fast, articulate, and sharp.

Also for context, I think the reason why you hear the HE-560 as thinner is due to the stock Focus Pads causing that bump at 3-4KHz. A bump around there tends to exaggerate the body of metallic, tinny sound that makes something sound "thin". The HE-6, in contrast, doesn't have this emphasis, and instead, it's more emphasized a bit higher up, giving more sharpness and definition.

Once that peak on the HE-560 is pushed down, as with Focus Pads A, it actually sounds fuller, because it has always been that full. Slowness = more decay = more full.

Edit: though I may be mistaken, I don't think it is technically feasible for a headphone to have fast decay and yet a "full" sound at the same time. This is evident after some long listen with HD800 and SR-009. Both are fast, and yet both would feel lacking in body, giving a more ethereal presentation to music.

But yet I also don't think the lack of "body" can be detrimental, because no one can deny that both the HD800 and SR-009 would sound very musical out of the right setup. Much like the HE-6 can sound very musical out of the right setup. "Musical", I think, is related to something else other than "body". Though it is certainly possible that having "body" can give the illusion of "musical".

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #12,367 of 21,171
  I apologize for the super boring question, but what accessories does the he-560 come with? I´m waiting for my pair and trying to decide what interconnects to order. I understand there are two sets of cables, one 1/4 and one balanced, right? No 3.5? If no, then what is the cable in this picture: http://theheadphonelist.theheadphonelist.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/HiFiMan-HE-560.jpg

Something you have to order separately?

Imo, the provided cable is well built. They can customise hp cable to your liking.

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:56 PM Post #12,368 of 21,171

Talk to me in two years, then I'll believe you're done until then .....
rolleyes.gif
  man that is some IEM inventory. I can't stand things in my ear so sadly I miss out on that experience.

Mar 19, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #12,369 of 21,171

I think the HE-560 does have more bass body. But that's not necessarily a good thing. That means it sounds a bit more bloated than the HE-6.

In a sense, the HE-560 is closer to Audeze headphones, whereas the HE-6 is closer to the Hifiman house sound, which is typically snappy, fast, articulate, and sharp.

Also for context, I think the reason why you hear the HE-560 as thinner is due to the stock Focus Pads causing that bump at 3-4KHz. A bump around there tends to exaggerate the body of metallic, tinny sound that makes something sound "thin". The HE-6, in contrast, doesn't have this emphasis, and instead, it's more emphasized a bit higher up, giving more sharpness and definition.

Once that peak on the HE-560 is pushed down, as with Focus Pads A, it actually sounds fuller, because it has always been that full. Slowness = more decay = more full.

Edit: though I may be mistaken, I don't think it is technically feasible for a headphone to have fast decay and yet a "full" sound at the same time. This is evident after some long listen with HD800 and SR-009. Both are fast, and yet both would feel lacking in body, giving a more ethereal presentation to music.

But yet I also don't think the lack of "body" can be detrimental, because no one can deny that both the HD800 and SR-009 would sound very musical out of the right setup. Much like the HE-6 can sound very musical out of the right setup. "Musical", I think, is related to something else other than "body". Though it is certainly possible that having "body" can give the illusion of "musical".

Bass bloat and body as in weight to the tone of music is different.  Yes the HE-6 has a faster decay it also has more weight to the tone of the music i.e.more body.  It doesn't have a bloat or a long decay no.  The 560 has less weight to the tone of the music compared to the HE-6.

I have both Focus and Focus A pads.  Sounds the same comparison wise.  

I'm not sure what amp you did your comparison on but that may have made all the difference in the world.  When dealing with the HE-6, that's the first thing you should have right.  Otherwise everything else will be skewed..

Mar 19, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #12,370 of 21,171
Bass bloat and body as in weight to the tone of music is different.  Yes the HE-6 has a faster decay it also has more weight to the tone of the music i.e.more body.  It doesn't have a bloat or a long decay no.  The 560 has less weight to the tone of the music compared to the HE-6.

I have both Focus and Focus A pads.  Sounds the same comparison wise.  

I'm not sure what amp you did your comparison on but that may have made all the difference in the world.  When dealing with the HE-6, that's the first thing you should have right.  Otherwise everything else will be skewed..

Uh, no.

What I mean is that the HE-6 is faster, so its bass "snaps" rather than "slams". That means it sounds like a whip versus the HE-560, which sounds like a rubber ball.

A whip doesn't sound like it has "body" IMO. Or else we may just be talking about different definitions of "body".

To me, "body" means "fullness", or a sense of solidity, or density. This doesn't necessarily mean "weight". Both the HE-560 and HE-6, IMO, can convey "weight", with the HE-6 being able to convey more because of the "snap" that it gives, but the HE-560 gives more of a sense of "solidity" or "density" to the sound.

Or let me put it another weight: it's like clouds. Clouds can look very voluminous and yet they are very very light. In this respect, the HE-560 is able to present this voluminous feel to me. The HE-6 can convey almost the same, but it also sounds a bit too fast that the clouds look semi-transparent. In that respect, the HD800 and SR-009 would be even more transparent.

And the Focus Pads and Focus Pads A do have differences that are measurable on multiple measurement systems, including mine. I'd think this difference should be audible, but then again, it could be that you are not as sensitive to these differences as many others here, including myself.

Mar 19, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #12,371 of 21,171
Again, 

I'm talking about the TONE of the music, not the bass decay or bass bloat because of a slower decay.  The HE-6 has more weight in its tone or it's tonal balance has more weight to it.  If you have no idea what tonality is and going to always refer it to bass decay and bloat than we're not talking about the same thing.

However, what I do know is on the wrong amp the HE-6 can sound very thin with a flabby bass and brutal highs.  That's what you must be hearing I guess.  On a pretty good rig the difference in the 2 headphones are pretty evident.

Bass decay / bloat is one thing, tonality is another.  

In order to critique the HE-6 first you have to have your ducks lined up in a row.
Uh, no.

What I mean is that the HE-6 is faster, so its bass "snaps" rather than "slams". That means it sounds like a whip versus the HE-560, which sounds like a rubber ball.

A whip doesn't sound like it has "body" IMO. Or else we may just be talking about different definitions of "body".

To me, "body" means "fullness", or a sense of solidity, or density. This doesn't necessarily mean "weight". Both the HE-560 and HE-6, IMO, can convey "weight", with the HE-6 being able to convey more because of the "snap" that it gives, but the HE-560 gives more of a sense of "solidity" or "density" to the sound.

Or let me put it another weight: it's like clouds. Clouds can look very voluminous and yet they are very very light. In this respect, the HE-560 is able to present this voluminous feel to me. The HE-6 can convey almost the same, but it also sounds a bit too fast that the clouds look semi-transparent. In that respect, the HD800 and SR-009 would be even more transparent.

And the Focus Pads and Focus Pads A do have differences that are measurable on multiple measurement systems, including mine. I'd think this difference should be audible, but then again, it could be that you are not as sensitive to these differences as many others here, including myself.

Mar 19, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #12,373 of 21,171
lol ... Okay fellas .... Happy listening  
beerchug.gif

Mar 19, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #12,375 of 21,171

The HE6 is faster, have stronger and more weight to the bass punch, no way around that. The HE6 also is more transparent and the HE 560 has like a tendency to smoothing things out a bit compared to the 6. The 560 is more laid back, but I don’t think that the 6 is aggressive or overly forward.

A stock 6 has too much treble for me, some modding and it will have a very good treble IMO. The image and depth is way better on the 6 while the 560 has a bit wider soundstage. Both are good headphones that have the super nice effortless sound combined with a sweet upper mids and treble.

My 2c

Users who are viewing this thread

Back