= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Mar 19, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #12,346 of 21,175
  Great to hear. Eventually many audiophiles will crave a new sound signature no matter how satisfied they are with their current gear. Just the nature of the audio beast. Like good wine or coffee, if you drink the same varieties over and over again, eventually you become used to them and the pleasure centre in your brain will not react as strongly. Same for audio. Get that wallet ready!

Yes and no.  Yes, I'd like to try some new gear to see what it does.  If I ever get some serious disposable income, I may try some.  But I won't be getting rid of my current rig, which I really dig.  Why?  When I try different wines, it's the rare one that makes it into the rack on a regular basis, but my favorites always have their slots available.  And no, I won't be adding a second rack.  As far as coffee goes, thankfully Food Lion's French Roast beans are great and relatively inexpensive.  Change is not on the horizon, esp. with my finicky wife drinking half the pot 
wink.gif

Now, if one is willing to take a slight loss on selling lightly used gear one previewed but decided not to keep - and if one is willing to take the chance someone else will want it at all; admittedly, not a huge risk within the Head-Fi community alone - then trying new gear is doable, if you budget well.  Kind of like what you did with your amp(s).

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #12,349 of 21,175

Yes and no.  Yes, I'd like to try some new gear to see what it does.  If I ever get some serious disposable income, I may try some.  But I won't be getting rid of my current rig, which I really dig.  Why?  When I try different wines, it's the rare one that makes it into the rack on a regular basis, but my favorites always have their slots available.  And no, I won't be adding a second rack.  As far as coffee goes, thankfully Food Lion's French Roast beans are great and relatively inexpensive.  Change is not on the horizon, esp. with my finicky wife drinking half the pot 
wink.gif

Now, if one is willing to take a slight loss on selling lightly used gear one previewed but decided not to keep - and if one is willing to take the chance someone else will want it at all; admittedly, not a huge risk within the Head-Fi community alone - then trying new gear is doable, if you budget well.  Kind of like what you did with your amp(s).

LOL! That is what I do, I essentially lease sound signatures as nothing I own will ever stay fresh for more than two years. I keep my stuff mint, sell at a loss and reinvest in a new sound signature when possible. I just get bored of anything regardless, and I crave hearing what else is out there. Curse or a gift, not sure, but it does mean buying and selling more frequently that's for sure.

Mar 19, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #12,350 of 21,175
I apologize for the super boring question, but what accessories does the he-560 come with? I´m waiting for my pair and trying to decide what interconnects to order. I understand there are two sets of cables, one 1/4 and one balanced, right? No 3.5? If no, then what is the cable in this picture: http://theheadphonelist.theheadphonelist.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/HiFiMan-HE-560.jpg

Something you have to order separately?

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #12,351 of 21,175
  I apologize for the super boring question, but what accessories does the he-560 come with? I´m waiting for my pair and trying to decide what interconnects to order. I understand there are two sets of cables, one 1/4 and one balanced, right? No 3.5? If no, then what is the cable in this picture: http://theheadphonelist.theheadphonelist.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/HiFiMan-HE-560.jpg

A cable and a wooden box, though I hesitate to call the cable an accessory, since it's required.  So, a box.  No balanced cable.  HFM might be willing to give you a discount on a balanced cable, if you asked them to send balanced instead of the standard single-ended quarter-inch cable.  Or they may just laugh at you.

Good question about the 3.5 mm cable in that photo.  You could poke around the head-direct site to see if they sell such a cable.  Maybe it's something "theheadphonelist" people made for themselves.

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #12,352 of 21,175

No, it just comes with one 6,3mm jack not balanced cable, and the headphones with Focus Pads on.

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #12,353 of 21,175
Thanks. Looks like it´s time to buy a ridiculously expensive short 1/4 to 3.5 cable. Anyone have any mega-ridiculously expensive recommendations?

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #12,354 of 21,175
  Thanks. Looks like it´s time to buy a ridiculously expensive short 1/4 to 3.5 cable. Anyone have any mega-ridiculously expensive recommendations?

That 3.5 mm plugged cable looks a lot like this one: http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=163

but that's balanced, so it could be this one: http://head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=145

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #12,355 of 21,175

LOL! That is what I do, I essentially lease sound signatures as nothing I own will ever stay fresh for more than two years. I keep my stuff mint, sell at a loss and reinvest in a new sound signature when possible. I just get bored of anything regardless, and I crave hearing what else is out there. Curse or a gift, not sure, but it does mean buying and selling more frequently that's for sure.

I used to do that until I sold my Stax rig. I just get stuff that's my sound signature now which means headphones similar to the HE-560 or close enough to it. It's good when you don't know what you want but not so much when you figure it out. Of course the curse for me is now amps. I'm not quite satisfied with my current amp so looking at different options for it now.

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #12,356 of 21,175
  ^^ Thanks money. The lcd-x does indeed sound wonderful. I've heard it many times. Ultimately it is way too heavy for me. Is the he560 different enough from the hd800 to be a complementary headphone to it?

Lol Matt haven’t you own the HE560 twice already or am I hallucinating?

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #12,357 of 21,175

Grado makes a nice 1/3 to 1/8 Adapter, on my iPhone so I am not technically capable enough to post the link :cry:.

Large parts of my system have changed, the Alpha Dogs, HD650, PSB M4U1's, are gone, along with the E17 and Music Fidelity X-Can V.3. Added Grado PS500e, Alclair RSM Quad ciem, Apex Glacier and a A&K 100, mark 2. My 560's, Lyr 2 (with Rob's Holy Grail Ruskies) and Bifrost are here to stay!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back