= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 13, 2014 at 11:00 PM Post #6,886 of 21,171
Go back and reread his post.  He specifically referred to the people posting the graphs, not the headphones themselves.

You should maybe spend less time making useless posts on this thread and more time enjoying music, since you love to talk in such a condescending way.  People who posts graphs and objective data on forums such as this do it to help other people, whether it's for buying decisions or for helping others with the 560 understand the relationship between subjective impressions and objective data.  Now go and enjoy your music.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:01 PM Post #6,887 of 21,171
I actually do believe that's all headphones do -- reproduce music for audiophiles. 

Thanks for highlighting that fact.

Guess there are some happy Beats audiophiles that are happy with your assertion.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:07 PM Post #6,888 of 21,171
Guess there are some happy Beats audiophiles that are happy with your assertion.

yeah, I'm glad I'm not one. perfectly happy with my set of cans,

and of course, my music library.

where's that bridge you want to sell? must be over some troubled waters?

Not here.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:10 PM Post #6,889 of 21,171
  Go back and reread his post.  He specifically referred to the people posting the graphs, not the headphones themselves.

You should maybe spend less time making useless posts on this thread and more time enjoying music, since you love to talk in such a condescending way.  People who posts graphs and objective data on forums such as this do it to help other people, whether it's for buying decisions or for helping others with the 560 understand the relationship between subjective impressions and objective data.  Now go and enjoy your music.

at last. an astute and sharp kindred poster. 
beerchug.gif

never let emotions cloud logic, fairness, and compassion.

and never forget the original raison d'etre for head-fi's existence: to promote enjoyment of music.

off to bed I go, to rest my weary but satisfied ears and head....

cheers

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #6,890 of 21,171
yeah, I'm glad I'm not one. perfectly happy with my set of cans,

and of course, my music library.

where's that bridge you want to sell? must be over some troubled waters?

Not here.

Says the guy who posts primate pics to emphasize.. whatever it is you're trying to put across.

Anyway, won't be long before I get a new cable for the HE-560. Felt hamstrung with the length of the current cable.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #6,891 of 21,171
We're all here on head-fi, talking about headphones because we use them to listen to music, movies, games and other tasks.  There's no need to act like any of us aren't enjoying our headphones enough with what they're intended for.

At the end of the day, head-fi is NOT a forum to primarily promote talk about music or the enjoyment of music, that part should already be a given.  Head-fi is a forum to help promote discussion for headphones, for the sake of consumerism and hobbyism.  I for one much rather see a guy posting objective measurements of a headphone on a thread that someone coming in on the same thread saying something completely useless like 'I'm enjoying my 560s with x album, it sounds so beautiful!'

There are dedicated subforums on head-fi for the specific talk of music and all things related, but on a hardware subforum with a thread titled specifically 'hifiman he-560 impressions and discussion thread,' posting measurements of the 560 is 100x more relevant than posting fuzzy, gushy crap talking about enjoying music.  Random +1 posts with monkey pictures included.

At the end of the day I still listen and enjoy my music, but I don't have to post it on this thread to reinforce that idea to others or myself.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #6,892 of 21,171
Never mind. Missed 'classical' on the post, lol. LCD2 definitely not optimal for classical.

Aug 13, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #6,893 of 21,171
  At the end of the day, head-fi is NOT a forum to primarily promote talk about music or the enjoyment of music, that part should already be a given.  Head-fi is a forum to help promote discussion for headphones, for the sake of consumerism and hobbyism.  I for one much rather see a guy posting objective measurements of a headphone on a thread that someone coming in on the same thread saying something completely useless like 'I'm enjoying my 560s with x album, it sounds so beautiful!'

T gushy crap talking about enjoying music.  Random +1 posts with monkey pictures included.

At the end of the day I still listen and enjoy my music, but I don't have to post it on this thread to reinforce that idea to others or myself.

Actually, I find that graphs are useless for me as a consumer. I never base purchases on graphs, especially ones posted by manufacturers or their fanboys. What I DO value are personal verbal impressions and descriptions of sonic traits, describing particular music tracks (and backed up by citing albums and tracks) and how the speaker heard the tracks. Subjective as they may be. Lord forbid, that our hobby should be taken over by the technocrats who would eliminate all subjectivity for the sake of "objective" graphs. I'm a neuroscientist, so I don't need to be told the value of graphs -- there's a place for them, in the academic journals and at the bedside to save lives.

So...in my first post on this thread, I asked for opinions on whether the 560 could possibly sound as good as, or better than, my LCD2.2, and whether the 560 would be suited for classical music. So far, I have had some useful responses, thanks to those individuals who replied and who made the effort to cite specific musical examples.

Keep on listenin'

p.s. the monkey pictures are meant to be humorous, like the "emoticons". Sometimes, a pic is worth a thousand words.

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:30 AM Post #6,894 of 21,171
graphs are made for the consumer ^ Audeze made a graph for you as a consumer that purchased their product so you know what to expect(your precious lcd2.2)
Headphone sites exist to help people make purchases based on what their tastes are and graphs help them explain it as well as those here who post graphs.

I am no better  for explaining something this obvious as the person who needed the explanation. Im probably just as bored if not more.

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #6,895 of 21,171
  I never base purchases on graphs, especially ones posted by manufacturers or their fanboys. What I DO value are personal verbal impressions and descriptions of sonic traits, describing particular music tracks (and backed up by citing albums and tracks) and how the speaker heard the tracks. Subjective as they may be. Lord forbid, that our hobby should be taken over by the technocrats who would eliminate all subjectivity for the sake of "objective" graphs. I'm a neuroscientist, so I don't need to be told the value of graphs -- there's a place for them, in the academic journals and at the bedside to save lives.

A lot of false dichotomies and straw man fallacies here. Just addressing (sequentially) with the phrases in bold.
1. Nobody said anybody should or does base purchases on graphs. Graphs are additional data (just as subjective write-ups are data on the same product in question).
2. Fanboys aren't the only non-manufacturers who measure headphones. People who measure headphones, measure headphones. This is non-indicative of how much they like a product.
3. Why should a hobby be taken over by pure subjectivists either?
4. Graphs don't have to be relegated to academic journals, or to the field of medicine. Graphs are an important tool that headphone manufacturers use to develop their products--products that you enjoy.

I believe Sennheiser sends a graph of the HD800 to owners? This is part of their effort to show you how your specific pair measures, and one of the reasons they do this is to show you that the LR channels match very closely. That's just one way that graphs are made available to the consumer, and that's one manufacturer's way of showing the effort they put into ensuring the end product is great.

Aug 14, 2014 at 12:56 AM Post #6,896 of 21,171
Man this headphone has been throwing me for some loops. On some songs I want more mids and others I am just fine. Just like how I perceive the bass. But if I could lump it up into a summary I would desire more mids and bass more often than I am not. The fidelity in those areas is outright perfect though.

I dont know how well I will groove with this yulong because the he560 is a really good headphone and I may want an amp with juicier mids and bass to have an end game closed back. 

Any recommendations under 900 (if this Yulong doesnt work out) I wanna get this thing right fast! I also am a bit scared to use a vintage receiver alone because I want this clarity to be there. 

Aug 14, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #6,897 of 21,171

Actually, I find that graphs are useless for me as a consumer. I never base purchases on graphs, especially ones posted by manufacturers or their fanboys. What I DO value are personal verbal impressions and descriptions of sonic traits, describing particular music tracks (and backed up by citing albums and tracks) and how the speaker heard the tracks. Subjective as they may be. Lord forbid, that our hobby should be taken over by the technocrats who would eliminate all subjectivity for the sake of "objective" graphs. I'm a neuroscientist, so I don't need to be told the value of graphs -- there's a place for them, in the academic journals and at the bedside to save lives.

So...in my first post on this thread, I asked for opinions on whether the 560 could possibly sound as good as, or better than, my LCD2.2, and whether the 560 would be suited for classical music. So far, I have had some useful responses, thanks to those individuals who replied and who made the effort to cite specific musical examples.

Keep on listenin'

p.s. the monkey pictures are meant to be humorous, like the "emoticons". Sometimes, a pic is worth a thousand words.

Your question on comparison between the 560 & LCD2.2 could be described subjectively and objectively. Both are valid. When you're buying a car, a house, or anything do you only rely on someone's written subjective impression of it? Or do you also look at objective info, such as pictures, stats and measurements? Just because someone finds the latter valuable doesn't mean they aren't 'enjoying their music'.  BTW you just contradicted your opinions in what you said above: "Sometimes, a pic is worth a thousand words.". Guess what? Sometimes a graph is too.

Also, on your website I see #6 in your preachy 'Audio Ethos': "6. I don't buy gear made in China.". So there ya go, what are you doing asking about the HE-560 anyway. Hate to break it to you but they are made in China.

I hope we see many more measurements and graphs about the HE-560.

Aug 14, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #6,898 of 21,171
Graphs are a great baseline as it lets me know what kind of tonal balance to expect (at least when it comes to easy to understand ones like Tyll's or purrin's.)

People can spout off what kind of sound signature headphones have, but I have heard everything from the LCD2 being neutral (it isn't, at leaat pre-fazor), or an HD650 being bright to some. Hence why graphs let me know what impressions are more accurate and true to a headphone's signature. It isn't always the case (i.e. Headroom's graphs of the D7000 showing a steep sub bass roll off which is opposite of what it actually sounds like), but it's true more often than not.

Aug 14, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #6,899 of 21,171

Your question on comparison between the 560 & LCD2.2 could be described subjectively and objectively. Both are valid. When you're buying a car, a house, or anything do you only rely on someone's written subjective impression of it? Or do you also look at objective info, such as pictures, stats and measurements? Just because someone finds the latter valuable doesn't mean they aren't 'enjoying their music'. Get off your high horse. BTW you just contradicted your opinions in what you said above: "Sometimes, a pic is worth a thousand words.". Guess what? Sometimes a graph is too.

Also, on your website I see #6 in your preachy 'Audio Ethos': "6. I don't buy gear made in China.". So there ya go, what are you doing asking about the HE-560 anyway. Hate to break it to you but they are made in China.

Well.. haha

Aug 14, 2014 at 2:09 AM Post #6,900 of 21,171
Your question on comparison between the 560 & LCD2.2 could be described subjectively and objectively. Both are valid. When you're buying a car, a house, or anything do you only rely on someone's written subjective impression of it? Or do you also look at objective info, such as pictures, stats and measurements? Just because someone finds the latter valuable doesn't mean they aren't 'enjoying their music'. Get off your high horse. BTW you just contradicted your opinions in what you said above: "Sometimes, a pic is worth a thousand words.". Guess what? Sometimes a graph is too.

I like his Audio Ethos #1: "1. I listen to music, not equipment." Why bother even being on Head fi? A generic mp3 player and the earbuds that come with it should be more than sufficient for you to "listen to music".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back