= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 17, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #5,536 of 21,171
  I also did get a chance to finally try out the Focus A pads and the Focus pads.  Personally, I feel that the differences are extremely small.  I found a couple main (if you can call them main) differences...  The first is that the production pads seem to have the slightest bit more energy, sharpness, in the lower treble due to the slower decay.  This was very hard to discern though :/  The second is that the bass seems a little more fluid on the Focus A in contrast to the production.  The second, bass difference, was easier to hear for me...  The thing is that the differences seem so small to me unfortunately... 

A couple notes...  The Focus A pads seem to seal with my head a little better (which could explain the differences in bass), I'm not sure why (my production pads have been broken in longer).  The second is that I think the differences in comfort are the major things here.  The Focus A are much more comfortable on my head.  The clamping force has been decreased, probably due to the softer foam in the pre-production pads. 

In this hobby, we all thrive on extremely small differences. 
biggrin.gif

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:48 PM Post #5,537 of 21,171

I was listening to Diana Krall's "My Love Is" and Miles Davis' "So What" which I did some AB listening tests as best I could.

Off topic, but Diana Krall has a new group called Puss 'n' Boots that I thought was really nice, better than her solo stuff, more energy and melody.
(This was on Jimmy Fallon the other night.)

Jul 17, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #5,538 of 21,171
Fair enough but regardless, the Focus-A are too soft and decompressey for my ears.
Very soft but dare I call almost too much.
Should I disregard the subjective sound changes the Focuses just fit me like no other pads.
I might reevaluate my statements once I have my setup tuned.:rolleyes:

This brings me to the issue of clamping force.
I have noticed out the box that it was a bit firm,
And to another member it was too much. .
I tried bending but unfortunately the metal band is very strong. .
I was able to lighten the clamp bit was afraid to bend the metal too much..
Anyway with the focusA pads it is definitely more comfortable and now that I opened the band up a bit,
There is no compressing of the pads as you observed. .
I am thinking to open more so I just leave it flat over some clothes opened and burning in when I am not home.

Leaving flat is better as the pads are not compressed. .

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #5,539 of 21,171
  In this hobby, we all thrive on extremely small differences. 
biggrin.gif

That's true...  Personally, if you haven't heard the new pads, unless you're sensitive to the spiked frequency, you won't miss out on anything, except for the comfort :p 

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #5,540 of 21,171
That 5db difference at 4-5khz from focus a to focus pads is a way bigger difference than burn-in, cables or amp/dac switches will give you too, and that type of stuff is often blown out of proportion on head-fi as well.

Just goes to show you.

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:11 AM Post #5,541 of 21,171

That's true...  Personally, if you haven't heard the new pads, unless you're sensitive to the spiked frequency, you won't miss out on anything, except for the comfort :p 

Ehhh I beg to differ. To my perception it is a significant difference, though I am fairly sensitized to pick up tonal balance changes.

Pretty simple really, if one wants a more aggressive energetic HE560 flavour, go with focus pads. A more neutral and even flavour warrants the focus-a pads.

Jul 18, 2014 at 12:48 AM Post #5,542 of 21,171
  Ehhh I beg to differ. To my perception it is a significant difference, though I am fairly sensitized to pick up tonal balance changes.

Pretty simple really, if one wants a more aggressive energetic HE560 flavour, go with focus pads. A more neutral and even flavour warrants the focus-a pads.

I'll use them a little longer and see. 

Jul 18, 2014 at 1:53 AM Post #5,543 of 21,171
OK, I heard something more (swapped genre of song).  There is slightly more aggression with the the production pads.  Vocals have a tad bit more air, though this isn't as noticeable still.  The biggest change, still, is the bass though, I get more sub-bass with the pre-production pads (better seal I'm assuming still). 

Another note, I do hear the changes in the 4kHz region, but it doesn't really seem like a 5 dB increase like stated above... It sounds closer to half that to my ears...  Possibly 3 dB, but definitely not 5. 

EDIT: I can see what Cute is talking about regarding the vocals with the production pads.  They tend to have slightly more raspy sound using the production pads.  I'll do a longer write up about the differences later. 

Jul 18, 2014 at 2:22 AM Post #5,544 of 21,171
EDIT: I can see what Cute is talking about regarding the vocals with the production pads.  They tend to have slightly more raspy sound using the production pads.  I'll do a longer write up about the differences later. 

I also see now as some brass instruments have a bit more edge to them.
I like FocusA pads for the smoother more natural presentation plus a bit more sub bass body..

As far as "air" it still is there just not as accentuated in that region, so you actually feel you can hear deeper. .
At least for me.

Jul 18, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #5,546 of 21,171
I have been really tempted to get a listen in on some HE-560. Unfortunately there is no way I could justify the purchase as most of my listening is done through speakers. Headphones mostly for gaming.  Would still be nice to hear the difference one of these days.  I think I could stand to wait until the next model, or wait til a successor to the HE-6 comes around.

Jul 18, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #5,547 of 21,171
  Off topic, but Diana Krall has a new group called Puss 'n' Boots that I thought was really nice, better than her solo stuff, more energy and melody.

I wonder if this the group you mentioned...http://www.allmusic.com/album/no-fools-no-fun-mw0002651008         http://www.nbc.com/the-tonight-show/filters/guests/8036   

Jul 18, 2014 at 5:52 AM Post #5,548 of 21,171

I've looked up puss n boots, but I think you meant to say Norah Jones and not Diana Krall.

Also, you guys are really tempting me with all these pads talk lol. I think I may still hold out for a bit longer, before I start experimenting with Focus Pad A.

Jul 18, 2014 at 6:30 AM Post #5,549 of 21,171
Wow... these just keep improving.  I have had them running since they arrived Monday afternoon.  I haven't listened to them much after the first stint and trying out my amps.
Well tonight, my impressions the CEntrance HiFi-M8 have changed.  I would still like more gain as some albums need max gain and the dial almost all the way up but others are much easier to handle.  At first I wasn't particularly impressed with the amp but as the HE560s have matured, the pairing is getting better.   They are becoming more and more resolving, separation is getting better and clarity increasing.  Bass is more taut and realistic and the trailing edge of notes is more lifelike.  There is still a few things the CLAS/Continental do better, particularly decay but what's really going on is that these headphones are very responsive to what's upstream.  It's hard to pin down a headphone without having the same gear but then perhaps the headphone is letting you hear the gear better and it's not just the sound of the new headphones.  

When I had the Stax 007/717 , I didn't think of it having a sound other than "right".  These seem to possess that same quality and will only need the right amp etc to be "right".  These are very good headphones.  

I find these to be a little close in terms of placement and soundstage but I've found that with other planars so perhaps that's a trait of this technology(?).

Well that's my ramble for the 72hour mark..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back