= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 10, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #5,026 of 21,175
Maybe, I just listened to the YouTube video.

Ok so I just listened to the youtube link for the first time.  The lower bass note on youtube is distorted heavily and VERY noticeable, probably regardless of what headphone you have plugged in.  If you have access to this track from the CD the change in notes was not very perceptible on my HD600, and much clearer on the HE560.

This might explain why you thought I was talking crazy talk earlier.

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #5,030 of 21,175
I'd personally go with the Wolfson equipped Compass 2 for it's less analytical dac. I had the Sabre equipped one, and it really tightened the bass on most headphones, making some sound slightly bass light, when they had some warmth with the lowly E17. I guess I prefer a warmer source/amp, over dryness/neutrality.

Jul 10, 2014 at 11:59 PM Post #5,032 of 21,175
  You guys want subtleties in the bass, try tracking the (piano?) in the left channel in the beginning of Mombasa from the Inception soundtrack.

That's more of a test of instrument separation than bass performance IMO. But yeah as the HE560 separation is pretty top-notch it spotlights that background piano quite easily.

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #5,033 of 21,175
There's a very faint but audible bassy sound in the left channel that sounds like the bass notes of a piano that hits at :39, :42, :46, :49, :56, :59, 1:02.

Being able to discern those different bass textures at the same time has a lot to do with the balance and performance of the bass in relation to the rest of the sound.

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #5,034 of 21,175
By the way if any of you posted a somewhat respectable writeup over the last 2 months or so (anything after page 170), and want it linked in the first thread post, do post and link to your writeup post again. I've been skimping on that since May, and feel that it's unfair only early posters got linked, but there's no way in hell am I skimming through the second half of the whole thread.

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #5,036 of 21,175
You want bass performance testing - Try Rimshot by Erykah Badu. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zwgh11iB44) I have the CD and it's amazing at testing bass.. This youtube version is so crap lol

anyway, the bass section at 1:00 really goes deep and is quite textured especially on the HE-560. Very enjoyable on this headphone.

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #5,037 of 21,175
  By the way if any of you posted a somewhat respectable writeup over the last 2 months or so (anything after page 170), and want it linked in the first thread post, do post and link to your writeup post again. I've been skimping on that since May, and feel that it's unfair only early posters got linked, but there's no way in hell am I skimming through the second half of the whole thread.

Put measurements up if you're allowed to?  That would be a great addition to the FP :wink:  Maybe some information about the two pads (Focus and Focus-A)? 

I did make some remarks at ChiUniFi a few weeks back: http://www.head-fi.org/t/711824/hifiman-he-560-impressions-discussion-thread/3645#post_10652826  I'm working on my full-length review as we speak, so that should be coming out soon. 

You want bass performance testing - Try Rimshot by Erykah Badu. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zwgh11iB44) I have the CD and it's amazing at testing bass.. This youtube version is so crap lol

anyway, the bass section at 1:00 really goes deep and is quite textured especially on the HE-560. Very enjoyable on this headphone.

I have a few songs I like to use to test bass...  Senses Fail - The Priest and the Matador is a great song to test bass with IMO, especially with the intro, lots of texturing and subtle parts.  The song Negative Space is an extended intro into the song as well. 

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:44 AM Post #5,038 of 21,175
Holy crap!  These have to be the best electronic headphones I have ever heard!  Every electronic song I listen too just springs to life.  The bass is perfect.  Clean, distinct, tight, and just right!  So clean.  Going from my he-400s to these... it makes my 400s sound like I stuffed cotton balls in the cups.  Very very impressed.... feels like I need more amp though.  I was running a modded ODAC/O2 combo at work and a W4S mINT at home.  I need to find a nice clean solid state amp for these... my friend is bringing his bifrost/lyr combo over tomorrow... can't wait to see how that is going to be.

I think I am going to order the pre-prod pads.  They fit me much better and didn't rub the top of my ear.

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:59 AM Post #5,039 of 21,175
  Holy crap!  These have to be the best electronic headphones I have ever heard!  Every electronic song I listen too just springs to life.  The bass is perfect.  Clean, distinct, tight, and just right!  So clean.  Going from my he-400s to these... it makes my 400s sound like I stuffed cotton balls in the cups.  Very very impressed.... feels like I need more amp though.  I was running a modded ODAC/O2 combo at work and a W4S mINT at home.  I need to find a nice clean solid state amp for these... my friend is bringing his bifrost/lyr combo over tomorrow... can't wait to see how that is going to be.

I think I am going to order the pre-prod pads.  They fit me much better and didn't rub the top of my ear.

Let us know!! I'm quite interested in your opinion of that combo. :) And I know what you mean, Massive Attack's Mezzanine album just shines with these! Really amazing :D

I have a few songs I like to use to test bass...  Senses Fail - The Priest and the Matador is a great song to test bass with IMO, especially with the intro, lots of texturing and subtle parts.  The song Negative Space is an extended intro into the song as well. 

Thanks buddy, I should give them a listen sometime.

Jul 11, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #5,040 of 21,175
  You guys want subtleties in the bass, try tracking the (piano?) in the left channel in the beginning of Mombasa from the Inception soundtrack.

Yes, that's a good one too! I really enjoy alot of the nuances of the Inception soundtrack...

Dale

Users who are viewing this thread

Back