= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 11, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #5,056 of 21,175

The answer here is that you're judging the 560 relative to the lcd2.2 C.  The old lcd produces bass like a good sub woofer does. It's tight and extends forever. When compared to the lcd2.2 C, the 560 would seem bass light and "thin" as you say. 

But judged on it's own merits, the 560 actually has impressive bass response. YMMV

I am quite confused so far... So where does the HE-560 stand in comparison to LCD-2 rev2, HE-500, HE-400 or HE-4 (use at least 2 of these headphones please) in terms of bass quantity and tightness?

Anyone could answer this... If you know the answer, please share your opinions!

Btw, I am really confused by the HE-560... I am even confused by the measurements posted on the other site. I cannot get where does the HE-560 stand. Is it in between HE-500 and HE-6? Is it similar to HE-5LE? Is it more HD800like (sharp, very resolving, spacious) or more HE-500like (smooth, quite unresolving, quite intimate)?

It's similar to some of the discussion in the original HD800 thread (the one that got closed) - lots of differing opinions but eventually most listeners came to a consensus. The big thing to realize is that we all hear things differently. Ear shape and size as well as differences in the way our nerves and brains process the sound means that the HE-560s can have a different signature that is unique to each listener. That said, you'll find that 90% of the population will have similar responses when listening to them.

My one line description after about 70 hrs of listening:

The HE-560 is more musical than the HD800s and very enjoyable - it has accuracy, significant depth, width and height in all ranges and a signature and comfort that is just a notch below the HD800s - highly recommended!

As a couple of others have said, I would say the HE-560s are the best open headphone I've heard under $1000 US. It didn't take me long to realize that I'm keeping my pair. Combined with my HD800s, I have what I consider the 2 best open headphones on the market today, but of course that's just my opinion. 
smily_headphones1.gif
 Hopefully others are enjoying them as much as I am. Good job Team Hifiman!!

Dale

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:31 AM Post #5,057 of 21,175
  It's very easy to hear people say that he4 sounded poorly or didn't have good bass response until you asked asked them what amp was used. I would venture to say that many of those who tried the he4 never amped it properly. When you realize that the he4 has essentially the same amping required of the he6, then you'll get a better idea. 

On a speaker amp with taps, the he4 will rock your molars. The he4 just loved my vintage Pioneer sx1280 at 165 watts into 8 ohms.  That setup would get down to crazy levels with good punch still be tight.   

This begs the question - how does the HE560 scale with higher power amps?  Anyone have something at their disposal they could test with?

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #5,058 of 21,175

This begs the question - how does the HE560 scale with higher power amps?  Anyone have something at their disposal they could test with?

I've got an emotiva mini-x. It sounds good, lol.

Jul 11, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #5,059 of 21,175
When HFM states the HE-4 need 2 watts for properly driven attributes, I'll side with them in saying the HE-4 needs power. I've heard it off lesser amps, and stronger amps, and it makes a solid difference. For example, i didn't particularly like the Lyr (I sold it off soon after selling my first HE-4), yet it made the HE-4 sound better than the Compass 2 (which I loved the most out of all my amps), NFB-5, and lesser other amps. The HE-4 is the ONLY headphone I preferred off the Lyr vs off the rest. I just didn't really care for the Lyr overall. If I didn't like it, but it's raw power changed the He-4 compared to the rest... I'll fully stand on saying the HE-4 needs the power. But hey, if you wanna go against what HFM states about a headphone they made.... by all means. I think the HE-4 sounds piss poor off weaker amps. I enjoyed it most off the Lyr and SA-31, both being power amps. My fave amp btw is the NFB-5, which is a lesser amp than the Compass 2, SA-31, and Lyr that I had.

Frankly, I don't know how the hell people can think something like the Vali could compare to the Lyr when using the HE-4. But having not heard the Vali (just others like the Magni, Asgard 2, and Lyr), I'll refrain from calling BS.

Having owned two HE-4s, and two HE-400s, i don't know how anyone could ever think they have similar tastes in power. Pseudo, backwards world, maybe.

Sorry for going off topic. I just... roll my eyes when people talk about the HE-4 being easy to drive.

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:01 AM Post #5,060 of 21,175
Yes, MattTCG, I concur with your thoughts in that relatively comparing the LCD to the 560, the 560 does sound thin but improves on its high end especially noticeable on cymbals and hi-hats.  Another parameter to reiterate is, again relatively comparing to the LCD, the 560 exhibits a smaller presentation perhaps due to a smaller total driver area. The holographic image of the vocalist is just smaller to my ears.

Regardless, I have to say the comfort is in agreement with most of you all - it's very comfortable and light, feathery compared to the LCD.  However, in regards to the pads themselves, I prefer them to be deeper so my ears won't touch the driver foam piece.  

Has anyone done an in-depth comparison between the HE-6 and 560 yet?

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:08 AM Post #5,061 of 21,175
Seriously?

Yes. I have no preconceptions so I am just reporting what I heard, using Poweramp player and lossless music (versus fully optimised PC-based audio system). I thought the HE-4 sounded excellent tonal-wise out of it (warm, relaxed) but the overall detail, transparency, soundstage expansion and soundstage definition were lacking in comparison to DA8 (thought not as much to say that it wasn't an enjoyable listen out of the Fonepad). Asus was much better in terms of price/performance ratio than the DA8 (obviously as it's my smartphone/phablet = I would have bought it anyway) but what made me keep the DA8 in the end were the last percents of performance, smoothness and transparency which Fonepad couldn't match - it would start to bother me in the long term even though I could easily live with it for a few days.

This side-by-side comparison (along with another one about a year ago, comparing headphones from different price categories) made me realise how severely overstated are so-called life-changing improvements with every upgrade of an audio chain. I am not saying that Nwavguy was right... But I am also not saying that hardcore audiophiles are right. Something in between is where I stand and HE-4 represents what I believe is a sweetspot in terms of price/performance (after owning several high-end headphones).

Feel free to disagree or call me mad...

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:21 AM Post #5,062 of 21,175
^Nah, I think it was well spoken

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:57 AM Post #5,063 of 21,175

David, I guess what I was wondering is how it performs on a higher power amp like the mini-x in comparison to a lower power amp.  Do you have a lower power amp for comparison?  I wonder if the bass characteristics improve as they are fed more power as seems to be the case with many other Hifiman phones.

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #5,065 of 21,175

David, I guess what I was wondering is how it performs on a higher power amp like the mini-x in comparison to a lower power amp.  Do you have a lower power amp for comparison?  I wonder if the bass characteristics improve as they are fed more power as seems to be the case with many other Hifiman phones.

Nah, only my x-can v8 tube hybrid (1.3 watt, 32 ohm). I'd love to compare to my x3, but I ain't got the cables.

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #5,066 of 21,175

I think both of our 560s left at the same time from RazorDog. There was no update from the 8th until now showing the package made it out of processing in Chicago yesterday around 4:30pm. Man that is slow, at this pace mine won't arrive until late next week. Once you get an update let me know what path your 560s are taking. I would be curious to know if it went the same route given that you are on the west coast and I am central/east. I hope we get ours soon, the wait is killing me!

Did you pay for express shipping?  Man.. that was the longest 2 days ever.  Anticipation is making me cranky..  I am thinking that they are going to miss the "delivered by" date and should qualify for a refund in shipping
mad.gif
...but then again, I've had priority items take 2 weeks just to get from Washington to me, about a 4 hour trip including the ferry...
rolleyes.gif

Anyway,,,  I'll just relax for the weekend and hope for at least by Tuesday (my birthday)..

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #5,067 of 21,175
I do agree about the price/performance of the HE-4.
It was my first planar headphone and I sincerely thought that any more expensive planar would be undoubtedly superior to it. Well, not so much in the end...
While the HE-500 was a definite upgrade on the M-Stage (because it was driven better), as soon as I got the SA-31 I realized the HE-4 was still up there with it, albeit with a very different sound (dry vs lush).

The HE-560 brings the best of both worlds (sound, sensitivity, weight)  plus better ergonomics (and comfort compared to the HE-500, obviously; the HE-4 was very comfy already, because it is so light).
The bad thing is that it also brings a steeper price that is more in line with the american competition. I guess Hifiman raised their margin as they grew to become a world renowned company (and they would be stupid not to, considering how well it seems to sell).

Jul 11, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #5,068 of 21,175
  Maybe yet another set of pads with a deeper cavity could be made for those of us with ears that stick out.

These pads are about 2.4 cm thick at their thickest.  Please note that my pads have probably compressed a bit (a lot) due to use.  I know a lot of people are fussing about the size of the pads, my message is not to repeat what has been done already, wait for the pads to come and see for yourself.  The angled cut and how much the pads have been used can skew measurements as well.  The fact that your ear sits at a weird angle, and isn't a straight line, skews measurements too. 

Jul 11, 2014 at 1:06 PM Post #5,069 of 21,175

These pads are about 2.4 cm thick at their thickest.  Please note that my pads have probably compressed a bit (a lot) due to use.  I know a lot of people are fussing about the size of the pads, my message is not to repeat what has been done already, wait for the pads to come and see for yourself.  The angled cut and how much the pads have been used can skew measurements as well.  The fact that your ear sits at a weird angle, and isn't a straight line, skews measurements too. 

I have ears on the larger side and mine do touch the pad itself slightly (not the screen material over the driver).  As someone stated earlier, this might be a function of the cylindrical nature of the production pads.  If the Focus-A pads do allow for the ear to tuck behind the pad opening like I am used to on my HD600's that may be a comfort improvement.  This is really splitting hairs though as they are incredibly comfortable as-is.

I did order the pre-prod pads from head-direct because I couldn't resist trying out the other option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back