= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 11, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #5,086 of 21,179
  I think the stock cable is very good. What I am using still needs to burn in. I would not buy cheap silver cable though, unless upfront, you know it is very good as silver not done right can sound cold and edgy. 

The stock cable is great, I've got no issues with the cable :p   The cabling comes from Furutech (according to EBay).  I did end up getting it due to curiosity.  In contrast to the stock, they are a little more revealing and add a little air.  It adds a nice bit of aggression to the midrange as well.  Sensitivity is increased as well.

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #5,087 of 21,179
  ....and they are really close to my Abyss in terms of SQ....

eek.gif

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #5,088 of 21,179
  Just got mine couple of days ago, first listening impression is really good. I thought I might need to sell them due my financial issues, now I want to keep them and sell my LCD-XC. But they are truly exceptional headphones, and they are really close to my Abyss in terms of SQ. They are so comfortable to wear though. 

I second the 
eek.gif
  Maybe you should sell the Abyss and Audeze.  That should help the finances 
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #5,089 of 21,179
Haha, Abyss and HD800 are still my favorite, but HE560 is really close, although it is hard to say how close they are. But I like he560 a lot. Especially its deep bass. 

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #5,090 of 21,179
  They are always bowed slightly I find. Well, you might find that the regrilling mod I document is the way to go, as it is by far the most ubiquitous Hifiman-specific mod around here.

Which BBQ sauce has the best SQ when grilling? 
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2014 at 4:58 PM Post #5,093 of 21,179
  gotta agree.  The stock cable for the 560 is miles ahead of the stock cable for the 500, and is eveen better than the custom cable I had build for my 500's.  Sweet, detailed, smooth

I wish it were a bit longer like the HE4, contrary to some liking the shorter length..

Jul 11, 2014 at 5:24 PM Post #5,095 of 21,179

This begs the question - how does the HE560 scale with higher power amps?  Anyone have something at their disposal they could test with?

I would say it scales noticeably with power but I still find that synergy is more important after a certain point.  So far I've tried it with the DA8 headphone out (~1W), M9 single ended (~2.7 W), and M8 balanced ~(9W).  It sounded the best balanced out of the M9 (paired to DA8) but surprisingly I preferred it plugged into the DA8 amp section than the M9 when used in single ended mode.  And here's probably the surprising part, so far I prefer the sound out of the DA8 amp over the M9 paired with the Gungnir even in balanced mode.  It may not be as "well driven" technically, but it seems to be getting enough juice and the signature is more enjoyable.

Jul 11, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #5,096 of 21,179
  They are always bowed slightly I find. Well, you might find that the regrilling mod I document is the way to go, as it is by far the most ubiquitous Hifiman-specific mod around here.

I don't expect museum quality from HIFIMAN anyway.

At full extension it just barely wraps the noodle.... I have a huge mellon. So very light in weight and will be comfy long term!

Won't really be able to make value judgments' on SQ for a week or so. Very tight, the mids in front of bottom and the top is slightly splashy, typical of a tight lipped tympani driver
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #5,097 of 21,179

I would say it scales noticeably with power but I still find that synergy is more important after a certain point.  So far I've tried it with the DA8 headphone out (~1W), M9 single ended (~2.7 W), and M8 balanced ~(9W).  It sounded the best balanced out of the M9 (paired to DA8) but surprisingly I preferred it plugged into the DA8 amp section than the M9 when used in single ended mode.  And here's probably the surprising part, so far I prefer the sound out of the DA8 amp over the M9 paired with the Gungnir even in balanced mode.  It may not be as "well driven" technically, but it seems to be getting enough juice and the signature is more enjoyable.

And that's what I was talking about... Personal preferences and synergy is the key, not number of terawatts your are feeding your headphones with. 
wink.gif

Jul 11, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #5,098 of 21,179
The cable is good SQ wise and durability wise. My only gripe with it is that it isn't very flexible... But that's certainly the least important criterion. Should have been rubebrized or nyloned, not fabriced :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back