= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 3, 2014 at 2:49 AM Post #4,278 of 21,171
Some preliminary impressions from 6moons:
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/hifiman/3.html

Having heard/reviewed three Audeze whilst owning their pre-Fazor LCD-2; having written up numerous HifiMans, Oppo's flagship ortho and two dogs from Dan Clark's MrSpeakers kennel, I feel confident that the planarmagnetic breed has a general propensity for minor darkness and lush midband textures. Anyone arriving in ortholand from Sennheiser's HD800 or AKG's K-812 would instantly hone into this treble difference. So would fans of electrostatic cans from Stax (I've not heard the KingSound equivalents). Not so with the HE-560. It's the first ortho in my experience to graft atop the typical planarmagnetic signature an electrostatic-type treble. Particularly fresh out of the box and when driven from a very wide-bandwidth current-source amp like Bakoon or Questyle, the HE-560 will sound uncharacteristically bright and lit up not just for an ortho. Here break-in becomes a mellowing agent. But even afterwards the HE-560 will never 
need
 this type of accelerating light-injection amp to compensate like my chunky chocolaty LCD-2 most certainly do. This latest HifiMan is a planar the HD800/K812 crowd could love. That's big news.

To summarize, the HE-560 doesn't have much of the warm/lush sonic characteristics of planarmagnetics and sounds more airy and treble-happy, like an HD800. If so, I think the HE-560 would be a better match with an aftermarket copper cable than a silver one.

Jul 3, 2014 at 2:55 AM Post #4,279 of 21,171
Pretty much cements my assumption that the HE-560 wouldn't be a headphone for me, at least in terms of an end be all headphone. I'm of the LCD2/HD650 loving crowd. Though having really enjoyed the Alpha Dog, I wouldn't say the HE-560's sonic presentation wouldn't be enjoyable.

I'm definitely most hyped for the 400i.

Jul 3, 2014 at 2:58 AM Post #4,280 of 21,171

Having heard/reviewed three Audeze whilst owning their pre-Fazor LCD-2; having written up numerous HifiMans, Oppo's flagship ortho and two dogs from Dan Clark's MrSpeakers kennel, I feel confident that the planarmagnetic breed has a general propensity for minor darkness and lush midband textures. Anyone arriving in ortholand from Sennheiser's HD800 or AKG's K-812 would instantly hone into this treble difference. So would fans of electrostatic cans from Stax (I've not heard the KingSound equivalents). Not so with the HE-560. It's the first ortho in my experience to graft atop the typical planarmagnetic signature an electrostatic-type treble. Particularly fresh out of the box and when driven from a very wide-bandwidth current-source amp like Bakoon or Questyle, the HE-560 will sound uncharacteristically bright and lit up not just for an ortho. Here break-in becomes a mellowing agent. But even afterwards the HE-560 will never 
need
 this type of accelerating light-injection amp to compensate like my chunky chocolaty LCD-2 most certainly do. This latest HifiMan is a planar the HD800/K812 crowd could love. That's big news.

To summarize, the HE-560 doesn't have much of the warm/lush sonic characteristics of planarmagnetics and sounds more airy and treble-happy, like an HD800. If so, I think the HE-560 would be a better match with an aftermarket copper cable than a silver one.

That treble happy nature seems to go away with use...  I'm not sure if its actually break in or not, but it does go away.  Speaking of which, Cute, how long has you used the HE-560 for? 

Jul 3, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #4,281 of 21,171

need

That treble happy nature seems to go away with use...  I'm not sure if its actually break in or not, but it does go away.  Speaking of which, Cute, how long has you used the HE-560 for? 

Ran them 24/7 for the 10 days I have had them, on my second system!

Jul 3, 2014 at 6:40 AM Post #4,283 of 21,171
You do realize this treble going away in time stuff is just the pads compressing and your brain adjusting, right?
smily_headphones1.gif

Some say that... Others say it's the diaphram loosening up.. Whatever the reason isn't important. What matters is it happens over time. :p

Jul 3, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #4,284 of 21,171
I will gladly temporarily trade you mine later on.  I feel I need to give HD800 an extended try to get rid of my bias against it. 

LOL, that might reinforce your bias.

Haha these two posts remind me of my hate and now love for my hd800.

I am still biased with memories of hate for them even though now, they are now anax modded and also using Cardas cable so they're giving me my best sound (!)..

I am hoping the he560 can make me hate them again! lol.

Jul 3, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #4,285 of 21,171
Haha these two posts remind me of my hate and now love for my hd800.

I am still biased with memories of hate for them even though now, they are now anax modded and also using Cardas cable so they're giving me my best sound (!)..

I am hoping the he560 can make me hate them again! lol.

The thing with the rug liner and creatology foam? What do ya think about them? Mine are anax modded too

I don't think they hit my sweet spot (as in end-game sweet spot). They are just not 100% right to my ears, not neutral. It's a tough one when e-stats are the competition at least, so I have mixed feelings as well.

I'll look forward to HE-560 impressions and perhaps a comparison!

Jul 3, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #4,286 of 21,171
good to see some measurements and listening impressions coming through. veneer finish notwithstanding i'm looking forward to hearing this can.

Jul 3, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #4,288 of 21,171
Jul 3, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #4,289 of 21,171
The thing with the rug liner and creatology foam? What do ya think about them? Mine are anax modded too..

Edit:
Although the 2.0 is easily the best mod version yet,
It is still not optimal as it destroys soundstage especially in the increased bass area,
but backing off on the foam brings it close to original levels.

It is ok though and I am guessing that the he560 may be equal to the hd800 soundstage in it's modded state..

Jul 3, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #4,290 of 21,171
  I'm just surprised you were so emphatic about keeping the production 560 over the preorder one, even though it's more colored in the lower treble (6-7db as opposed to 2-3db), and are now vocally expressing displeasure with the same region.

I really wanna know if it's an issue with the new pads or not.

My post #153: "And be sure to try the Pre560 pads on the New560! I found this to be the most neutral setup. I also remove the outer grills, too."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back