= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jun 30, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #4,096 of 21,171
I want the HE-6 sound from my iPhone, well honey child, we've been waiting for Mr. Fang to make the HE-6i.

Don't get this idea into his head please. He is so crazy that he might just want to do it. :D

All I can say is that HE-560 contains all the best knowledge and skills we know how to make a planar headphone as light as possible, as efficient as possible and most importantly as good sounding as possible. To top that we need some serious research and break through. In other words it probably won't happen very soon.

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
Jun 30, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #4,099 of 21,171
  Not sure what you really mean by your last sentence, but just want to point out that if I'm going to spend near or over 1k for an end game-ish set up, I think the prudent and wise thing to do is get objective facts set straight so the money can be spent in an informed manner. Even if you don't agree with the mode of discussion hopefully you get why it's a necessity for people (like me) to ask these types of "model number superiority" questions. 

Oh I even disagree with your notion of what constitutes "necessity" 
tongue_smile.gif

the stupid connector.

I've broken 2 stock hifiman cables(the second one in under a week, was probably broken out of the box) and 2 aftermarket cables because of this, the best connector in the world. I now use the Q audio adaptor so that I can efficiently deal with this problem. I recommend a hardwire. FANG if you are reading this you better get your butt in gear with some new connectors or some extreme bulk cable that will never break. How is the stock 560 cable btw, I noticed they changed it.

ok will post again in another 6 months will casually read until that point. good luck finding some objective facts outside of FR and db sensitivity.

This I actually do agree with: their choice of connector sucks. I'm tempted to mod the HE560 to adopt the Audeze-type minixlr input once I get mine in.

Jun 30, 2014 at 5:54 PM Post #4,102 of 21,171
Sound + comfort + durability = near perfection

Very few headphones can come close to satisfying these criteria... I am very picky in terms of sound and comfort, less so with durability ( the headphone has to work obviously).

But should they pass all three, that's all I need, really... :D

Jun 30, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #4,103 of 21,171
I have been listening for about 1 1/2 hours very light weight don't want to make a judgement on sound yet but very different than 500
So far so good I don't believe in 150 hr break in bought but think 48 hrs is needed very comfy which is a nice change will give my opinion in a few days but I thing there will be a modded 500 for sale soon

Jun 30, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #4,104 of 21,171
Someday i will try the HE-560.
I became a Hifiman fan since i got my HE-500.
Before that i was into AKG, which doesn't mean i'm not interested in hearing the AKG K812, but the Hifiman HE-500 sound so wonderful that i would be eager to try the HE-560.
The only thing i could criticize Hifiman, the construction of the headphones doesn't last long, AKG hp are certainly more robust.

Jun 30, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #4,105 of 21,171
Hello, wonder if anyone with a Stax SR-007 had the opportunity to hear a 560 and would like to give his impression.

Jun 30, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #4,106 of 21,171
  I want the HE-6 sound from my iPhone, well honey child, we've been waiting for Mr. Fang to make the HE-6i.

LOL...  For what it's worth, I am actually quite comfortable running the 560 straight off of my 5s :wink:  Takes about 66% of my volume bar to get it to a comfortable level though :p  Should max out somewhere between 90-100 dB too. 

Don't get this idea into his head please. He is so crazy that he might just want to do it.
biggrin.gif

All I can say is that HE-560 contains all the best knowledge and skills we know how to make a planar headphone as light as possible, as efficient as possible and most importantly as good sounding as possible. To top that we need some serious research and break through. In other words it probably won't happen very soon.

Hey Fang!  Make an HE-6i that can be driven off an iPhone, it would be so awesome! :p

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #4,107 of 21,171
Just got home about 20 mins ago, earliest listening impressions of the rev2 HE560s vs test prototype HE560s is that the production unit is much more linear in the upper midrange (test HE560 is more recessed and almost HE400-like in that regard). It also has a slightly softer treble compared to the test prototype.

Comparing to rev1 (preorder) HE560 I still have on-hand, the rev2 definitely sounds less mushy/closed-in, whether it be due to the enclosure change or the pad change or a combination I don't know yet, but that is an immediate distinction I pick up.

I have to say though, I find the test prototype earpads just as comfortable (if not moreso) compared to the latest earpads. Edit: I definitely find the test prototype earpads more comfortable, no questions; the newer earpads have bigger opening circumferences, but no real estate under the opening; the older-style earpads sort of curve in under and have more space for the ears to wedge in. This is what you guys get for complaining without real basis.

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #4,108 of 21,171
Just got home about 20 mins ago, earliest listening impressions of the rev2 HE560s vs test prototype HE560s is that the production unit is much more linear in the upper midrange (test HE560 is more recessed and almost HE400-like in that regard). It also has a slightly softer treble compared to the test prototype.

Comparing to rev1 (preorder) HE560 I still have on-hand, the rev2 definitely sounds less mushy/closed-in, whether it be due to the enclosure change or the pad change or a combination I don't know yet, but that is an immediate distinction I pick up.

I have to say though, I find the test prototype earpads just as comfortable (if not moreso) compared to the latest earpads. Edit: I definitely find the test prototype earpads more comfortable, no questions; the newer earpads have bigger opening circumferences, but no real estate under the opening; the older-style earpads sort of curve in under and have more space for the ears to wedge in.

What is your early impression about bass ?

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #4,109 of 21,171
What is your early impression about bass ?

Sub-bass extension/linearity (based on sinewave generator): rev2 = rev1 > prototype

Tightness (based on music): rev2 = prototype > rev1

Otherwise very similar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back