= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jun 6, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #3,361 of 21,171
I think HFM made the right choice in switching away from wood. Here's how I found my pre-order copy today after sitting on the stand (untouched) for a week:

And a similar crack is forming on the other ear. And the yokes are scratching, as reported by others.

They sound wonderful, nonetheless. The new veneer look is a bit cheesy in my opinion, but I'm not terribly concerned by appearance. I'm hoping v1.1 sounds even better.

-Jeff

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #3,362 of 21,171
  I think HFM made the right choice in switching away from wood. Here's how I found my pre-order copy today after sitting on the stand (untouched) for a week:

And a similar crack is forming on the other ear. And the yokes are scratching, as reported by others.

They sound wonderful, nonetheless. The new veneer look is a bit cheesy in my opinion, but I'm not terribly concerned by appearance. I'm hoping v1.1 sounds even better.

-Jeff

Ouch :frowning2:  Well, I know why they switched now :/  Even then, improved sound, they might even be lighter with plastic. 

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #3,363 of 21,171

-Jeff

Jesus. Yeah they'd be digging themselves a big hole with a gravestone if they kept with the teak cups then, that just looks gnarly.

Unless the crack is formed due to the excessive pressure of the yokes (since they are fitted too small with the teak cup batch), in which case whoever's deciding to keep their solid teak cup HE560s might want to consider fixing the yokes themselves.

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #3,364 of 21,171
Guess, we are now all anonyunanimous in our support for the move to plastic cups! 
tongue.gif

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:20 AM Post #3,365 of 21,171
  Guess, we are now all anonymous in our support for the move to plastic cups! 
tongue.gif

Unanimous*, but yeah. Well except maybe @up late and a couple of other woodie addicts.

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #3,367 of 21,171
Hi all. I don't know where to ask but this place seems to be the best.  I managed to demo the HE560 and was very impressed though I cannot upgrade yet, at least in the foreseeable future. The pads however were really good and I was wondering if the new pads were interchangeable with the old ones so I can use them with my HE400 without any problems whatsoever.

Jun 6, 2014 at 4:52 AM Post #3,368 of 21,171
  Hi all. I don't know where to ask but this place seems to be the best.  I managed to demo the HE560 and was very impressed though I cannot upgrade yet, at least in the foreseeable future. The pads however were really good and I was wondering if the new pads were interchangeable with the old ones so I can use them with my HE400 without any problems whatsoever.

They are interchangeable, but can't be bought seperately just yet.

Jun 6, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #3,369 of 21,171
  And it is in the Oppo thread, but it is also in the 560 thread because I'm directly comparing it to the 560.  

Ah, well that wasn't clear from the wording in the comment you posted, it referred generically to "Hifiman or Audeze offerings" and "Hifiman and Audeze models." No mention of the He-560 specifically.

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #3,371 of 21,171

-Jeff

poor choice of timber for the application or poor quality control or both

Unanimous*, but yeah. Well except maybe @up late
 and a couple of other woodie addicts.

not gonna let you get away with that. the timber veneer looks like the cheaper option that it is. like i said in an earlier post, there are plastic alternatives that are already being used that are durable and look more premium than the option that hifiman have gone with for the he560.

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #3,372 of 21,171
I wouldn't be opposed to an aluminum cup for the flagship hifiman planar magnetic.  That combined with the headband would make it look very much like the sr-009.  The only thing missing would be the leather earpads.  You hear that Hifiman?  For once, go all out with your materials for your statement product.  Your cost to performance ratio is already through the roof, so adding a little extra cost for the sake of build doesn't hurt.

Jun 6, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #3,373 of 21,171
poor choice of timber for the application or poor quality control or both
not gonna let you get away with that. the timber veneer looks like the cheaper option that it is. like i said in an earlier post, there are plastic alternatives that are already being used that are durable and look more premium than the option that hifiman have gone with for the he560.

If it makes your day better 
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #3,374 of 21,171
.... like i said in an earlier post, there are plastic alternatives that are already being used that are durable and look more premium than the option that hifiman have gone with for the he560.

I personally would have loved a leather look, like on my tiny Mikros90 has on its surface. .
Regardless, it is not going to be used outside (!) Lol

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #3,375 of 21,171

Users who are viewing this thread

Back