= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 31, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #3,166 of 21,171

You guys sound like ex-husbands of the same woman, trying to get back with her by sniping at each other. Relax!!.
Weekends are for meditating on the qualities of beer, how Maleficent is awesome, and how annoying post-credit scenes are in Marvel movies.

He's been up late and I'm a jerg. What can you do.

May 31, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #3,167 of 21,171
  Some folks might want to write it off as Audeze finally solving their inconsistency issues, but if my experience with the LCD-X being underwhelming while the LCD-XC being stupid good sounding, while many of the comments on... other forums... are true, then it's still highly possible that Audeze's still suffering consistency issues.

It was just the opposite for me. I thought that the lcd-x was impressive, but the xc just didn't win me over. Can't say why, I believe that they have the same drivers. 

May 31, 2014 at 12:42 PM Post #3,170 of 21,171
To be honest, he's only been quick to defend the issue with the wood veneer and the fact that HiFiMan is making a lot of changes since the original public announcement...  Everything else he's agreed with (bass issue which he found, treble issue if I'm not mistaken, wood scratching issue, etc.).  He's been the one that has pointed many of the issues out and had HiFiMan fix them.

There is a definite roll in the type of wood used that affects grain patterns, thickness, etc. 

On the other hand, I can flip this about you as well...  Ever since you heard about the delays in the product because they wanted to fix issues with the headphones, you've been mad, cold, and upset (possibly due to impatience)...  I have a feeling that's driving you to say half of these things equally since they are fueled by emotion (anger, maybe a little resentment, maybe you want some payback because you were a little impatient?  IDK).  You make the statement that he's quick to defend, I'm going to make the statement that you're quick to offend. 

I won't deny you do make a good claim here regarding wood thickness, but the type and quality of wood used makes a huge difference as well. 

think you need to check your facts too bro and you're definitely confusing me with someone else. if you look back over my posts you'll find that I'm one of the folks here who'd prefer hifiman to take the time to get this can right before bringing it to market.

May 31, 2014 at 1:11 PM Post #3,172 of 21,171
  Alright, so the HE560 at the THE Newport show still has the ebony veneer, hardly a surprise as I bet this same unit was photographed for the initial announcement about the cup design change in this thread.

The mystery of the teak veneer continues until someone physically asks Fang about final decisions regarding the veneer types.

the teak veneer matches the yolks - both look plastic

that doesn't change the fact that both your pics are of solid wood cups. however you shot them and whatever timber they're made from they still look like solid wood cups - not wood veneer cups. it's obvious man and you're reaching.

Of course, they are teak wood cups.

My argument is that you can't base your evaluation of veneer of one type of wood, against solid wood of another type. Either compare ebony veneer against solid ebony, or compare teak veneer against solid teak.

I'm with Up Late, solid Wood cups, either type of wood would be a nice touch, Veneer is just that... and the new cups with that black ring looks palsticy, I don't have an issue with plasticky BUT I like the look and feel of Solid wood, hence is why my HE 4 has wood cups

I was excited to hear solid wood implimented into the HE 560... and now that it is Veener... that kind of dimish my excitement... the positive is... Monkeynutz or what ever he calls him self now [Leboah or something]  will hopefully make a set of full wood cups now that Hifiman is doing Veneer 

Either way... $899 with full wood... sounds nice. I think $800 is a fair price for "veneer" maybe I don't know anything but... well I paid $150 for my cups, and they are made of soft wood which is cheaper to manufactor than a hard wood, my point is... I do think there is a cost for full hard wood cups, and since we are now using a veneer some of the total price of the headphones should hopefully be reduced 

May 31, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #3,175 of 21,171
I just decided to drive down to the Newport show, and take my pre-order 560's with me.  If anyone wants to meet up with me on Sunday to do a comparison with the new version, send me a PM.

May 31, 2014 at 1:55 PM Post #3,176 of 21,171
  I just decided to drive down to the Newport show, and take my pre-order 560's with me.  If anyone wants to meet up with me on Sunday to do a comparison with the new version, send me a PM.

That's wonderful!! Thanks for doing that. I'd love to hear any impressions. 

May 31, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #3,178 of 21,171
Either way... $899 with full wood... sounds nice. I think $800 is a fair price for "veneer" maybe
tongue_smile.gif

tongue_smile.gif

tongue_smile.gif

tongue_smile.gif

tongue_smile.gif

tongue_smile.gif

tongue_smile.gif

May 31, 2014 at 2:37 PM Post #3,180 of 21,171
HE-6 is plastic and costs 1299$.
I think a veneer for 899$ is fair, especially since it sounds close to headphones that are more expensive.
Doesn't matter anymore I guess since they couldn't do it for various reasons.

Bottom line, I don't think veneer warrants lowering the price cause SQ is top notch, but it'd be nice ;D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back