= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 12, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #2,372 of 21,171
  Message received from HIFIMAN...

" Sorry for the troubles we brought to you! There is some HE-560 in stock. But we have made the new plan about the shipping for HE-560. Some American people say the earpads should be bigger due to their bigger ears. So we decide to make the bigger size earpads and ship the HE-560 with new earpads to USA or European pre-orders later. Since the factory need to make and make other improvements, we now do not have the exact shipping date. We believe it is worthy for us to wait for it! "

Bad for me... More time to wait for a new toy.
Anyone know some about this "new earpads and other improvements" ????

confused_face(1).gif

Read a few pages back in this thread (pretty sure it was this one; you could check the other HE-560 threads).  You got the gist of the pad changes, but there's also an issue of the wood being scratched when rotating the cups.  This, too, is discussed.  Try 10 pages or so back.

May 12, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #2,374 of 21,171

On a quick listen of "Paper Airplane", 24/96 flac recording, the song "Dimming of the Day", multiple times throughout the track when Allison sings the word "need you", or the word "need", she gets breathy/shouty/tizz, when she increases the volume of her voice inflection, during that word, I hear what I was trying to describe on the HE-560, but not on my other phones, DT880, etc!  I would need to listen, and do some digging in some of my other tracks to pinpoint that same thing, but that is pretty much the distraction right there!

I don't have this album. Tried the YouTube version, but I don't hear any tizz sound through out the song. Probably because the low sound quality.

May 13, 2014 at 1:15 AM Post #2,375 of 21,171

Watching my frequency analyzer in the track that I identified above, the breathy, shouty  tizzy sound is under 10,000 hz, centered at 9,000 from what I can tell, cant understand why I don't notice it there with my DT880, and I didn't expect to on the PM-1 either.  So it must just be the nature of the tuning with the HE-560, I just need to reduce the volume there to avoid the annoyance!  I have too many tizzy tracks.  I notice a lot of what you described with many tracks that have a chorus, notorious are the Tallis Schollars, other music where there are old chants, religious music, each headphone to various degrees.  PM's with @analogsurviver, brought my attention to Tallis Schollars, which no headphone either one of us have heard can handle without similar distortion!

Getting sound reproduced/heard "perfectly" with headphones above say 2 kHz without the ill efects of one sort or another is always going to be difficult. Both the headphone itself and/or ear interface with it can - and unfortunately do - go wrong and isolating the fault is anything but easy.

I own ( and use) AKG K 1000 and Stax Lambda Pro, among others, that are reasonably free from these issues. I have joined head-fi primarily on order to get some IEMs that are as close equivalents of K 1000 and Lambda Pro in IEM format - for monitoring live recordings, where any open headphones are useless because of lack of isolation . After a year or so, I did get to stroke the goldmine :
Havi B3 Pro ( Old or Original  Version ) 
http://www.head-fi.org/t/711582/havi-b3-pro-1-appreciation-thread
 Havi can still be caught at the extremes a live microphone feed ( or DSD recording ) of say a soprano to be slightly less than perfect - yet i emphasize slight .  It retains almost complete aplomb of the mentioned Tallis Scholars track - rare in any headphone, unheard of at the $ 60 (+shipping) asking price.

It is my experience that the physically small transducers stand a better chance of having relatively resonance free reproduction. Large surface metal plates, as used for electrostatics ( Stax etc ) are inherently going to ring - and pulse response measurements of many really good SMALL dynamic driver headphones or IEMs can in practice surpass in theory inherently superiour electrostatics. 

May 13, 2014 at 1:36 AM Post #2,376 of 21,171
I haven't seen an impulse response graph for any IEM, or "small dynamic drivers" that surpass the impulse response of some orthos or electrostats. One downside with a smaller driver is they cannot produce as much low frequencies visceral-ness, as compared to larger drivers. Evidently, one can say the same about the largest headphone drivers, versus loudspeaker drivers.

May 13, 2014 at 1:55 AM Post #2,377 of 21,171
  I haven't seen an impulse response graph for any IEM, or "small dynamic drivers" that surpass the impulse response of some orthos or electrostats. One downside with a smaller driver is they cannot produce as much low frequencies visceral-ness, as compared to larger drivers. Evidently, one can say the same about the largest headphone drivers, versus loudspeaker drivers.

Generally agreed. For pulse response, you can compare Stax' own "small vs large" - SR1MK2 (Baby Stax ) vs any other Stax as measured by the innerfidelity - the Baby Stax does settle down quicker than its bigger siblings.
There is quite a number of IEMs with equally or even more impressive results.

Baby Stax is in fact capable of greater visceral-ness in the bass as compared to the Lambda Pro. It will reproduce large pipe organ bass better. Baby Stax is primarily limited by the small amp(s) usually associated with it, if powered from the desktop amps, then this is an entirely different matter - MUCH more alive and extended in the treble. Regardless of drive, Baby Stax does not match bigger siblings' soundstage.

May 13, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #2,378 of 21,171
And so the wait continues... Good things still worth waiting for I see! Literally.

May 13, 2014 at 6:18 AM Post #2,380 of 21,171
I noticed the tizz at higher volume yesterday, too.
It's like a small ringing in the treble and happens only with few selected tracks.
I'm currently running with the DA8, which has a Sabre DAC that could well be the culprit.
I'll check with the SA-2 soon.

-> for the first time in almost a year, I feel like I'm connected to the music again! The sound, while still not as "in front of me" as I would like, is enveloping, like a surround effect. It's the first time I get that effect and I quite like it (anything that is not inside my head will do...).
The imaging and details, really, are excellent!

Fang (and your crew), you're the men!

Hello Clemmaster,
You seem to be very happy with HE-560. I am very glad for you. I can notice that you possess the Yulong DA8 DAC. Has the DA8 got enough power to drive the HIFIMAN HE-560?
I am very interested in your answer.
Best regards.

May 13, 2014 at 6:41 AM Post #2,381 of 21,171
  Not gonna lie, I did forget about this. It was a promising mod that dead-ended.

No need to be shy.  What was the mod and what was the intention?

You were suppose to say "BeetleJuice" three times and your ears would shrink to better fit the earpads, only it didn't work. That would have been nice for the Sennheiser Momentum Almost Around Ears.

May 13, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #2,382 of 21,171
The DA8 does 1w@32ohms which should do for the 560 imo, going by the specs & impressions.

May 13, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #2,385 of 21,171
HFM just mailed me and ask whether I want the phone to be shipped with the smaller earpads NOW, or wait till the big one is manufactured.
blink.gif

I also just realised that my ear is 6.3cm tall. Since this is my first time purchasing full size cans, any advice on this? Thanks 
o2smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back