= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 13, 2014 at 12:03 PM Post #2,403 of 21,175
I heard Clem's HE-560 from the DA8 (and from many other setups) at a meet last weekend. The DA8 has enough power. The HE-560 doesn't seem hard to drive. Whether the DA8 sounds good or not is another question and a matter of preference.

Yes, of course, you're right. But mine is special. I put 70/100 on original DA8 with IC-OPAs and 88/100 with discret AZP OPAs.. So I expect a very nice improvement with HE-560. I have a Gold Grado SR-325i and the gap between IC-OPAs' ans discret OPAs' is "as deep as helm's deep"...  
Thank you again and best regards...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/673033/review-yulong-audio-sabre-da8-reference-dac/1290#post_10413181

May 13, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #2,404 of 21,175
Well ideally they'd only enlarge the ear openings to ~6.5cm and leave everything else untouched. Ideally, we'll be able to purchase both.
With all the comfort praise these pads are getting, I'd probably want to get a pair just for the sake of comparison :D

May 13, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #2,405 of 21,175
  Hello Clemmaster,
You seem to be very happy with HE-560. I am very glad for you. I can notice that you possess the Yulong DA8 DAC. Has the DA8 got enough power to drive the HIFIMAN HE-560?
I am very interested in your answer.
Best regards.

Yes, the DA8 internal amp drives the HE-560 adequately, no worries
smily_headphones1.gif

May 13, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #2,406 of 21,175

I heard Clem's HE-560 from the DA8 (and from many other setups) at a meet last weekend. The DA8 has enough power. The HE-560 doesn't seem hard to drive. Whether the DA8 sounds good or not is another question and a matter of preference.

It was the A18 amp fed by the Ciunas 
tongue.gif
My DA8 was resting at home.

Edit: or was there another DA8 in the room?

They both drive it competently, I have no issues with either and have been joying the DA8 + A18 combo a lot lately.

My OR5 should come back today so I can test the HE-560 with the Audio-gd stack: OR5 -> SA-2 (i2s) -> SA-31SE

May 13, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #2,408 of 21,175
I really hope they don't change the softness of the pads and only adjust the actual width. it'd be a shame for people to miss out on how comfy the current pads are.

I'm looking forward to the he400i, with the delays I'm guessing that one will come out without problems. if HiFiMAN does happen to give that $100 credit I'm very likely to buy those for the heck of it.

we are not going to change anything with the pads other than the width of inner circle. We have spent a lot of effort and time to get where we are with the pads (well...except hiring a tester with large ears ^_^). not going to screw up a good thing. :)

HiFiMAN Innovating the art of listening. Stay updated on HiFiMAN at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://hifiman.com
May 13, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #2,414 of 21,175
  Did you find the DA8/A18 combo quite better than the DA8 alone?

I did not compare them in the same setup. I used the DA8 with USB input from the traditional "burn-in" process, for few days.

I am now using the DA8 fed by the Ciunas Converter (coax) with the A18. The bass is more extended, treble is less raw but this could be due to the Ciunas being better than the DA8's USB input.

I didn't feel like I was missing a lot from the DA8's internal headphone amp, honestly. It has no particular flaws that I could notice.
The A18 sounds bigger and more extended (keeping in mind the Ciunas thing), which is the typical improvement with better quality gear. It sounds warmer, too.

May 13, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #2,415 of 21,175
we are not going to change anything with the pads other than the width of inner circle. We have spent a lot of effort and time to get where we are with the pads (well...except hiring a tester with large ears ^_^). not going to screw up a good thing. :)

That's great to hear! Thanks!
Will both will be available eventually? (assuming I am getting the bigger pads with my 560, will I be able to purchase the original smaller one if need be for any reason?)
Thanks again :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back