= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 7, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #2,056 of 21,171

I believe Clemmaster is talking about the woodbox the HE-560 was shipped in, and not the wooden earcups. From a packaging standpoint, it is somewhat acceptable that this would not be particularly high-end/indestructible as it is mere dressing to ensure that the main component, the headphones, arrive in a safe manner.

Just FYI, sponsors of a brand technically aren't supposed to talk about competing products on Head-Fi. 

But I do agree with you (somewhat) with what you said...  The HE-560 don't come with a case (the travel case was only included for pre-orders if I'm not mistaken and not designed for the new headband).  So I can see a lot of people using the box as a travel case. 

May 7, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #2,057 of 21,171

I believe Clemmaster is talking about the woodbox the HE-560 was shipped in, and not the wooden earcups. From a packaging standpoint, it is somewhat acceptable that this would not be particularly high-end/indestructible as it is mere dressing to ensure that the main component, the headphones, arrive in a safe manner.

Actually no, one of the ear-cup has some small holes on the surface. I don't mind that at all. I'm just worried about durability. I have no prior experience with wooden headphones, so don't take that too much into consideration.
What's important to me is sound and comfort. From the short period I've actually used these, they seem to score high on both points 
beerchug.gif

Also, I am not disappointed since I didn't have big expectation: I've owned all Hifiman headphones - except the original HE-5 - so I know I should not set the bar too high on aesthetics and ergonomics.

What I'm digging is the sound of these (save for the HE-400) and I'm paying much less for a better sound (for my taste & gear), better comfort but lesser finish than, say, a LCD-X.

May 7, 2014 at 7:21 PM Post #2,058 of 21,171

Actually no, one of the ear-cup has some small holes on the surface. I don't mind that at all. I'm just worried about durability. I have no prior experience with wooden headphones, so don't take that too much into consideration.
What's important to me is sound and comfort. From the short period I've actually used these, they seem to score high on both points 
beerchug.gif

Also, I am not disappointed since I didn't have big expectation: I've owned all Hifiman headphones - except the original HE-5 - so I know I should not set the bar too high on aesthetics and ergonomics.

What I'm digging is the sound of these (save for the HE-400) and I'm paying much less for a better sound (for my taste & gear), better comfort but lesser finish than, say, a LCD-X.

Are you sure those are not just pores of the wood grain? Teak does have a fairly irregular wood grain you know, its advantage is in its resilience against humidity and temperature fluctuations, not perfect aesthetics.

May 7, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #2,059 of 21,171

Just FYI, sponsors of a brand technically aren't supposed to talk about competing products on Head-Fi.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I was trying to be courteous and correct a misassumption that jerg had made. I wasn't trying to be disruptive or break the rules of Head-Fi. I will PM the commenters directly in the future and refrain from any additional commenting.

EDIT: Corrected "Jorge" as "jerg". I watched way too much "Lost" and have Jorge Garcia on the brain. Sorry jerg!

May 7, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #2,060 of 21,171

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I was trying to be courteous and correct a misassumption that Jorge had made. I wasn't trying to be disruptive or break the rules of Head-Fi. I will PM the commenters directly in the future and refrain from any additional commenting.

...Jorge? Is that a running joke now? 
rolleyes.gif

May 7, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #2,062 of 21,171
  Are you sure those are not just pores of the wood grain? Teak does have a fairly irregular wood grain you know, its advantage is in its resilience against humidity and temperature fluctuations, not perfect aesthetics.

Like I said, I'm not sure of anything here, it is just an observation.
If it's the natural wood-grain, then I'm just fine with that 
smily_headphones1.gif

May 7, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #2,063 of 21,171
So I got a package from DHL today.  Needless to say, it'll be my first pair of planars I have for review.  Impressions are definitely positive overall.   

The pads are large enough for my ears.  I actually did (my best) to measure my ears (tip to tip) and found they were approximately 6.5cm at the longest.  For some reason, my ears have plenty of space to fit inside the pads and don't touch the edges.  So I do have to agree with Jerg when he says that the inner-diameter isn't the only thing in play.  If I remember correctly, your ear also sticks out at an angle, which might change things a bit with that measurement.  The velor padding is very soft on the head, but also can itch me at certain spots.  Minor thing, maybe I'll get used to it.
The HE-560 don't weigh too much which is also a great thing for comfort and the long listening sessions.  No more needing a neck of steel to listen to these headphones.

Quick information about sensitivity.  These headphones are surprisingly sensitive, even straight out of my iPhone.  At 10 (out of 16) clicks up, I hit a comfortable listening level.  So they can be driven out of an iPhone, but obviously weren't designed for that purpose.

However, if driven with something a little more powerful, they do open up.  I don't have a huge collection of amps (I'm mainly a portable listener), but out of my Vamp Verza, these do open up quite a bit.  The bass gains quite a bit of weight, midrange gains dynamics, while the treble comes alive.  It becomes less smooth and warm.  As you'd expect, these scale up nicely.  I probably should try these out of a good amp at some point.  

I will get into some initial impressions, but do note that these obviously won't be final, and may change with time (I probably shouldn't need to say this, but I will anyways as a disclaimer).  
The best words for me to describe the bass would be two contradictory terms, but smooth and punchy.  The low-end of the spectrum does have good depth and texturing, despite being subtle and soft, it has ample presence.  The bass has a well-defined, tight impact that gives a nice thump without being big in size.  The mid-bass punches quick and with good speed.

Warm and smooth is exactly how I'd describe the midrange.  The lower midrange detailing is there, but done in an almost entirely non-aggressive fashion.  In many ways, it seems effortless and easy.  The clarity in the upper mids is there, but doesn't give the edge or energy I'd expect.  Dynamics are still quite strong, especially in vocals as they can easily reach down and get lush and emotive while not skipping a beat with the high notes.  

Reach up high is something the 560 can grasp pretty nicely.  The treble extends beautifully and renders the treble in a smooth, yet detailed, fashion.  Snares snap with a true, defined snap and have good presence.  The upper treble, however, is where the 560 shine.  It's detailed and has great separation and clarity.  Truly spectacular in many ways.  
As stated, my impressions are very positive.  This really isn't a headphone that jumps out at me, I do have to admit it, but it balances the sound really well and renders music in an easy-to-listen manner.  

I'm going to leave it at that for now.  Back to listening.

May 7, 2014 at 9:14 PM Post #2,066 of 21,171
I just received mine today too.  I agree with tinyman's excellent review, after running them in for a few hours.  I am quite happy with them so far.  I wore them for a bit over an hour and found them pretty comfy, and not at all heavy.  As far as the wooden box goes, I was not expecting it so its great for a freebee.  The soft carrying case seems nice, although I haven't tried to put them in it yet.  I'll let them run all night and check them out again tomorrow.

May 7, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #2,067 of 21,171
  I just received mine today too.  I agree with tinyman's excellent review, after running them in for a few hours.  I am quite happy with them so far.  I wore them for a bit over an hour and found them pretty comfy, and not at all heavy.  As far as the wooden box goes, I was not expecting it so its great for a freebee.  The soft carrying case seems nice, although I haven't tried to put them in it yet.  I'll let them run all night and check them out again tomorrow.

That wasn't meant to be a review :p  XD  I'll be doing the same.  The box is nice to have, and will function as a case for now.  I'll be waiting for HiFiMan to upgrade their travel case and jumping on that though. 

May 7, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #2,068 of 21,171
So, received mine today and I love the sound so far, definitely keeping them. My only problem is the ring retaining the grill in place, it is loose at the bottom and is coming out or the enclosure. Is it supposed to be glued in place? Or are pins used?

Don't want to mess with it too much in case I can't repair it myself...

May 7, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #2,069 of 21,171
  So, received mine today and I love the sound so far, definitely keeping them. My only problem is the ring retaining the grill in place, it is loose at the bottom and is coming out or the enclosure. Is it supposed to be glued in place? Or are pins used?

Don't want to mess with it too much in case I can't repair it myself...

It's glue, the rest of the ring will be on there very tight still, the glue used is quite permanent. Bad for those who will want to regrill their HE560s as it's a bit finicky to get the ring off, or back on again (the glue is set already so it won't stick again).

May 7, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #2,070 of 21,171
  It's glue, the rest of the ring will be on there very tight still, the glue used is quite permanent. Bad for those who will want to regrill their HE560s as it's a bit finicky to get the ring off, or back on again (the glue is set already so it won't stick again).

Yeah I pulled a bit on it and it definitely glue, but mine doesn't seem strong at all :D...Half of the ring doesn't seem to have a drop of glue on it strangely, and where the glue starts it comes off easily. The grill is coming off to the point where you can see behind it. I really don't want to send them back to china so I'll probably just glue it back myself with something removable.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back