= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 7, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #2,026 of 21,175
  I already felt that with the smaller-opening earpads, the HE560s are already on par with HD800 in terms of fit and overall comfort. Maybe the bigger earpads will actually push it past HD800 in comfort levels, who knows.

if i got it right. the new pads wont be bigger but stiffer again. so the inner diameter wont be decreased as fast by wearing them. which makes them potentially more uncomfortable again.
maybe my ears are small enough to choose the softer ones. i dont have a problem with beyerdynamic pads. they have a inner diameter of 5 cm.

May 7, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #2,027 of 21,175

if i got it right. the new pads wont be bigger but stiffer again. so the inner diameter wont be decreased as fast by wearing them. which makes them potentially more uncomfortable again.
maybe my ears are small enough to choose the softer ones. i dont have a problem with beyerdynamic pads. they have a inner diameter of 5 cm.

The current HE560 pads have mesh-like fabric lining the inside enclosure, which is both very soft and acoustically open (it functions similar to the main portion of my earpad mod, by absorbing instead of reflecting sound waves in the driver/earpad/head enclosure). If a stiffer, likely reflective material is used instead for the inside lining, it will probably be sonically inferior too.

May 7, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #2,028 of 21,175
Why not use the same materials and just make the opening bigger and/or the pad deeper?
No need to change the basic properties of the pads... If it ain't broke...

May 7, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #2,029 of 21,175
Why not use the same materials and just make the opening bigger and/or the pad deeper?
No need to change the basic properties of the pads... If it ain't broke...

Might be because it's difficult to change their current earpad manufacturing system in terms of molds etc. Both "substituting the inner lining material" and "making the pads thicker" won't affect the velour or the velour/pleather sewing portions of the manufacturing, maybe those are set in stone.

May 7, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #2,030 of 21,175
I guess you're right.
It's best for everyone to try them first and see anyway... The predicament of "if you aren't happy we'll send you free earpads " is pretty much all you can ask.for!
You could do the same with RE-400 if you were an early adopter and didn't get the extra accessory that they added later (hardcase and extra tips).
So HFM cam certainly be praised for their exquisite customer care :)

May 7, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #2,031 of 21,175
Fang should be glad he's not selling these to this guy:

Else he'd have to use bike tires for templates.

May 7, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #2,032 of 21,175
Been listening to these for the past few hours and damn, instrumental guitar music sounds amazing on these. Buckethead's album Colma has never sounded this good!

May 7, 2014 at 1:52 PM Post #2,034 of 21,175
Kudos to HiFiMan for their immediate response and ownership of the potential ear problem. This type of extraordinary customer service makes me more likely to buy from them in the future! 

My pre-order is currently in Portland. I may get it today, but probably tomorrow. I just measured my ears; they are about 7 cm. I current use HD650, which I measure to be about 7 cm x 4 cm. These are a bit snug, but they're comfortable for long periods of time. It will be interesting to see how the HE-560s will fit me.

I did a little searching and came across a page on the US National Institute of Health web site that found the average ear height is about 6.3 cm. Of course, every ear is different shaped and size. Ears also increase in size as we grow older, typically.

May 7, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #2,035 of 21,175

Yeah I'm not sold on the idea of making the pads harder again. The old Hifiman velour pads are pretty damn stiff. So if we request the newer stiffer pads, do we still get the old "smaller" ones as well?

May 7, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #2,036 of 21,175

Yeah I'm not sold on the idea of making the pads harder again. The old Hifiman velour pads are pretty damn stiff. So if we request the newer stiffer pads, do we still get the old "smaller" ones as well?

As the old saying goes, "be careful what you wish for". If that is the compromise they have to carry out in order to keep the release window in a timely manner, then that is that.

May 7, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #2,037 of 21,175
I think they should just release what they have, and worry about actual problems with pads later. Those who own them now dont seem to have a proboen with pads, and consider them the best pads HFM has released. If HFM was going to cater to everyone else's fears (particularly those who don't even own the headphones to complain about discomfort), we'd never have these headphones.

May 7, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #2,039 of 21,175
I think they should just release what they have, and worry about actual problems with pads later. Those who own them now dont seem to have a proboen with pads, and consider them the best pads HFM has released. If HFM was going to cater to everyone else's fears (particularly those who don't even own the headphones to complain about discomfort), we'd never have these headphones.

+1 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back