= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 6, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #1,951 of 21,171

Yeah bass has less decay ("body") than the HE500 / LCDs which might be a bit underwhelming first, but honestly once your brain becomes more accustomed to it, it should be punchier / the impacts much more focused than the other 2 (like a quick punch instead of a slow push).

I'm not sure if you've tried the LCD-X but from your description, it sounds like bass of the 560 is similar.  Quick and hardhitting with a little bit of body shaved off when compared to the LCD-2.  I personally find this presentation to be better for PRaT.

May 6, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #1,953 of 21,171
I dont think that 560 box costs more than 5~10€ to make so no reason to make a big fuss about it. Audeze and Oppo box on the other hand...

May 6, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #1,954 of 21,171
  Order placed.

Dang!! 
eek.gif
  I didn't see that coming. 

May 6, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #1,955 of 21,171

I'm not sure if you've tried the LCD-X but from your description, it sounds like bass of the 560 is similar.  Quick and hardhitting with a little bit of body shaved off when compared to the LCD-2.  I personally find this presentation to be better for PRaT.

I haven't had the pleasure of auditioning LCDX yet. But IMO the difference in hardhitting/decrease in body is very substantial between HE560, and the likes of LCD2/HE500. If LCDX is only slightly less bloomed in the bass relative to LCD2, it might not be the extreme that HE560 has taken.

Have you tried a well-driven HE6 before? That's the kind of "tautness" that HE560's bass exhibits.

May 6, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #1,957 of 21,171
  http://www.headfonia.com/hifiman-he-560-unboxing-first-impression/

Has this been linked yet?  Normally I hate headfonia but something is something, right?  

The reviewer says, "...The ear pad opening is also smaller it seems. My ears aren’t the biggest but you can feel the pads against them, this wasn’t the case on the HE-500..."

May 6, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #1,958 of 21,171
Yea that has me fearful.  If it's the single biggest component of comfort that I'm allergic to it's too ear openings that are too small and touch your ears-- even to the slightest degree.  The previous hfm velours were just barely big enough.

May 6, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #1,959 of 21,171
  http://www.headfonia.com/hifiman-he-560-unboxing-first-impression/

Has this been linked yet?  Normally I hate headfonia but something is something, right?  

Well their impressions seem to be in line with what a lot of people here have been saying.

May 6, 2014 at 2:20 PM Post #1,961 of 21,171
  Yea that has me fearful.  If it's the single biggest component of comfort that I'm allergic to it's too ear openings that are too small and touch your ears-- even to the slightest degree.  The previous hfm velours were just barely big enough.

Agree with all you said. Pretty nervous about this purchase now. I am not inclined to modify my brand new, expensive headphone (pads) especially when they had the opening size correct on the previous model.

May 6, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #1,962 of 21,171
  I haven't had the pleasure of auditioning LCDX yet. But IMO the difference in hardhitting/decrease in body is very substantial between HE560, and the likes of LCD2/HE500. If LCDX is only slightly less bloomed in the bass relative to LCD2, it might not be the extreme that HE560 has taken.

Have you tried a well-driven HE6 before? That's the kind of "tautness" that HE560's bass exhibits.

Unfortunately, I haven't had the chance to hear the HE-6 and currently I'm actually on the fence on whether to go with the 6 or the 560's, both of which will be driven by an M9.  So far the comfort issue is pushing me in the way of the 560's but I'm wondering how much better the 6's are when well driven. 

Perhaps I should augment my statement and say that to my ears, there's a noticeable shaving down in bass body between the LCD-2 and X, I don't think it's a night and day difference but I think most will immediately pick it up.  I guess another analogy would liken it to banging on a wooden surface (LCD-X) vs a water bed (LCD-2), there's less bloom and ripple. 

May 6, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #1,964 of 21,171
When are the Oppo PM-1 vs Hifiman HE560 head to head sonic comparisons going to begin and be posted?
I'm sure many people, including myself, are very anxious to read some comparisons between the two.

May 6, 2014 at 2:59 PM Post #1,965 of 21,171
  I just measured the inside of the pads.

He-500: 6cm
He-560: 5cm

eek.gif

Dang, hope the pads are at least nicer finished on the HE-560? I had one of the first revision HE-500 velour pads and they also just barely fit my ears and had a tendency to scratch one's ear if not properly positioned due to the poor finishing/stitching. Is it just the opening that is smaller or are the circumference of the HE-560s ear cups actually less compared to the HE-500/HE-6?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back