= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Apr 3, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #752 of 21,175
  Well I did also yank the grill rings out (from hard glue) and install my own grills, but I don't think that's what they'll do 
biggrin.gif

Dammit!  I was all ready to ship them some hexagonal red prototypes!  
wink.gif

Yank, I trust, is a term you're using very loosely.  "Carefully pried" is hopefully more accurate.

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:35 AM Post #753 of 21,175
  I didn't find the stock grills to constrain the sound... They still sound very open and leak as much as anything :D
I think the minor baffle fix is more welcome as the stock grills don't really hinder sound?
Feel free to prove me wrong though, I've never changed the grills :D

It's a subtle improvement but even Fang acknowledges it (he recommended removing the fabric backing off the stock grills if you find the treble not airy enough, that was for HE500s in the 6moons review a few years ago). My re-grilling mod just takes it one step further and uses an even more open steel mesh. Some people go even more extreme and use like BBQ grills but I think that's overkill.

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:39 AM Post #754 of 21,175
  It's a subtle improvement but even Fang acknowledges it (he recommended removing the fabric backing off the stock grills if you find the treble not airy enough, that was for HE500s in the 6moons review a few years ago). My re-grilling mod just takes it one step further and uses an even more open steel mesh. Some people go even more extreme and use like BBQ grills but I think that's overkill.

Fair enough. I don't anticipate such problems with the 560. They seem fairly extended in the treble 
biggrin.gif
 Just the baffle, pretty please.

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #755 of 21,175
  Fair enough. I don't anticipate such problems with the 560. They seem fairly extended in the treble 
biggrin.gif
 Just the baffle, pretty please.

I would argue that there's no "need" for anything, like when people say they can tolerate the comfort levels of HE500/6, they don't "need" new ones to have ergonomic improvements. But once you try any improvement, if they are substantial enough, it's hard to turn back.

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM Post #756 of 21,175
  I would argue that there's no "need" for anything, like when people say they can tolerate the comfort levels of HE500/6, they don't "need" new ones to have ergonomic improvements. But once you try any improvement, if they are substantial enough, it's hard to turn back.

Oh, absolutely! I am not in disagreement.
But the baffle mod is really just a fix [drill a few holes and add tape/glue] so it is manageable even this late with [perhaps?] the first batch manufactured.
I wouldn't expect them to change the grills now though...
Subjectively speaking, the very deepest extension was perhaps my only real gripe with the HE-6 [comfort and weight aside] so I am personally only really asking for that as I didn't really find the stock grills bothersome.
I'd then place the baffle fix at #1 and if they want to improve anything else after that [different grills,...] then by al means, who am I to complain :]
Hopefully it won't take them weeks :]

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #757 of 21,175
Ok, so is the the better connection to the baffle that is seen as the main improvement besides the more open grill? I can totally understand all of this as it is modifications, the contact, I would do with my speaker systems, even from the manufacture of good speakers. Seems no different here to me. 

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:57 AM Post #758 of 21,175

Are the plastic retaining rings on the HE-560s as fragile as the ones on the HE-500s?  Since the latter are designed to be removed, I have no problem doing the re-grilling mod, and have done it many times, trying different configurations.  I would be beyond PO'd if those rings snapped when trying to remove them.  This makes me think the HE-560s will be all stock when I get them eventually.

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:58 AM Post #759 of 21,175
  Ok, so is the the better connection to the baffle that is seen as the main improvement besides the more open grill? I can totally understand all of this as it is modifications, the contact, I would do with my speaker systems, even from the manufacture of good speakers. Seems no different here to me. 

Yes. That's it besides the more open grill [which is the only other suggestion I've heard, sound wise] 

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:38 AM Post #760 of 21,175

Are the plastic retaining rings on the HE-560s as fragile as the ones on the HE-500s?  Since the latter are designed to be removed, I have no problem doing the re-grilling mod, and have done it many times, trying different configurations.  I would be beyond PO'd if those rings snapped when trying to remove them.  This makes me think the HE-560s will be all stock when I get them eventually.

I'm 99% sure that the HE560 grill rings are just the older rings, but with the 4 tabs removed. It is not that hard to remove if you have a mini flat-head screwdriver, and pry it out bit-by-bit with some patience (from between the grill and the ring, not from between the wooden cup and the ring; you don't want to accidentally scratch the cups). It IS just glue, so it does "give" after some prying. I find that you don't even need glue to secure the rings afterward, the friction is more than enough.

Apr 3, 2014 at 11:43 AM Post #761 of 21,175
  I'm 99% sure that the HE560 grill rings are just the older rings, but with the 4 tabs removed. It is not that hard to remove if you have a mini flat-head screwdriver, and pry it out bit-by-bit with some patience (from between the grill and the ring, not from between the wooden cup and the ring; you don't want to accidentally scratch the cups). It IS just glue, so it does "give" after some prying. I find that you don't even need glue to secure the rings afterward, the friction is more than enough.

Thanks for the details.  I'm sure the modding bug will bite, eventually.

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:44 PM Post #765 of 21,175
Kudos to Jerg for all his contributions in this hobby in general, but Fang has potentially just lost a customer. 

I personally simply cannot go and purchase something based on all of this mess. I'm mainly pointing at people obsessed with sub-bass (as Jerg himself has admitted being), as I always like to do... I just don't get how anyone can be so focused on something that has simply no musical value over any genre. 

How is it that one guy has so much power? A few people have heard the 560. All of them raving over the performance. Superlatives on almost every font; the usual head-fi yadayada. One of the listeners says he's able to "fix" the headphones and the complete production is altered. Didn't Fang state there were some mid-range resonance issues with this baffle "fix" that they'd already tried, or have I missed something? No faith in your own creation? 

Ridiculous! 
rolleyes.gif

As some genius (absolutely no sarcasm here) already pointed out: "We already have the LCD-line"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back