= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Apr 3, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #737 of 21,171
The Oppo PM-1 and PM-2 will have option velour pads... GAH, looks like a surefire contender for the 400i for me. They should lower the prices of each by $100 though...

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:16 AM Post #738 of 21,171

Just to clarify, I don't think we've heard that HFM will definitely make the changes to the baffle that jerg did and tested.  Last I read, Fang & Co. will do something similar, test it, and then decide if they will incorporate any changes into the first production run.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  I certainly hope they take as much time as they need to implement what seems to be a very reasonable fix/modification/improvement before shipping the first production run.

Fang wrote to me that he will "do some improvement according jerg's report in the production batch".

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #739 of 21,171
  I think I like the copper cable that comes with the HE-6 more than the stock cable. I also prefer the HE-500 with the copper cable. It also could be that the stock cable needs more time but I like the frequency spectrum and transparency more with the copper cable. 

I have two HE-6 cables because I liked them so much - I used one with HE-500 and one with the HE-6.  It was a big upgrade with the HE-500.  Lately, with my HE-500 I have been quite happy with my Moon-Audio Silver Dragon balanced cable that I got so I could use it with my portable gear more easily.  I didn't like the Blue Dragon with the HE-500.  

With the HE-5 and HE-5LE I found that they were best when I swapped cabled between the two, and I still have them that way - with the silver plated copper HE-5 cable on the HE-5LE, and the more mellow sounding HE-5LE cable on the brighter HE-5.

However, I think the stock cable with the HE-560 is pretty good.  I'm not ready to try out other cables yet.

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #740 of 21,171

Fang wrote to me that he will "do some improvement according jerg's report in the production batch".

That's a bit vague... Hopefully he means the baffle fix.

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #741 of 21,171
  That's a bit vague... Hopefully he means the baffle fix.

But less vague than "I might do something" as ThurstonX feared.  He said he will do something.

Fang also said, "If you could emphasize this, that will be very helpful".  I posted here for him since he's recovering from disc surgery.

Apr 3, 2014 at 4:39 AM Post #742 of 21,171

But less vague than "I might do something" as ThurstonX feared.  He said he will do something.

Fang also said, "If you could emphasize this, that will be very helpful".  I posted here for him since he's recovering from disc surgery.

Hope our Doctor gets better soon.
Seems like he's still dedicated to bringing us the best experience for our ears.
Thanks, keep us posted then 
beerchug.gif

Apr 3, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #743 of 21,171
  I have to say if you like strings this is one of the very best headphone I have heard in reproducing them. The 560 putting me into a trance with the Nat Cole SACD on the GSX Mk2 and Oppo BDP 105 with the strings in these SACD recordings. It as good as I ahve heard volins being reproduced. magige sound like transparency and inner detail with a very layered sound stage

So... I NEED them !!

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #744 of 21,171
I have to say if you like strings this is one of the very best headphone I have heard in reproducing them. The 560 putting me into a trance with the Nat Cole SACD on the GSX Mk2 and Oppo BDP 105 with the strings in these SACD recordings. It as good as I have heard volins being reproduced. magige sound like transparency and inner detail with a very layered sound stage

Wow excellent news!

Apr 3, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #745 of 21,171

Thanks for keeping us updated, HeadphoneAddict.

I can't recall any other serious mod jerg did to his HE-560s, so probably safe to assume Fang is referring to the baffle fix.  We shall see.  He has until October, then I start getting antsy... 
wink.gif

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:04 AM Post #747 of 21,171
  How good is the HE-560 in replicating the dynamics and tonal balance of pianos? Most headphones I know usually cant pull this one off very well.

The HE-6 was a piano beast. Since the 560 is a cross of the two [500 & 6] I imagine it'll do just as good!
And piano is classified as a string instrument :D

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:10 AM Post #748 of 21,171

Thanks for keeping us updated, HeadphoneAddict.

I can't recall any other serious mod jerg did to his HE-560s, so probably safe to assume Fang is referring to the baffle fix.  We shall see.  He has until October, then I start getting antsy... 
wink.gif

Well I did also yank the grill rings out (from hard glue) and install my own grills, but I don't think that's what they'll do 
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #750 of 21,171
  Well I did also yank the grill rings out (from hard glue) and install my own grills, but I don't think that's what they'll do 
biggrin.gif

I didn't find the stock grills to constrain the sound... They still sound very open and leak as much as anything :D
I think the minor baffle fix is more welcome as the stock grills don't really hinder sound?
Feel free to prove me wrong though, I've never changed the grills :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back