= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Nov 13, 2015 at 6:08 AM Post #14,508 of 21,171
Would a price drop in price of the original HE-560 (one with the F- connector) be substantial enough to warrant selling my 560 before the one with the F-connector come out? I'm just want people's personal take. I do still love my 560s though, had an amazing listening session last night where I couldn't help but smile as I was listening to them. Percussion instruments like the ones used in African music really come alive with these headphones it's worth the listen. 

Nov 13, 2015 at 6:42 AM Post #14,510 of 21,171
  Why would you want to sell? Just because the newer one will have different connectors doesn't mean it's going to sound different to the original version.

It's not about the sound sir. Once Hifiman releases the new ones less people are going to opt for the ones with the unpopular and slightly inconvenient F connectors potentially resulting in them losing some street value. I'm perfectly fine with having my HE-560 as an end game for now but do intend to get something truly summit fi in the not to distant future I hope. Just hoping the ones with the new connectors don't drop these ones significantly as far as street value is concerned. On the issue of summit fi what would be considered an end game headphone for someone who loves the sonic presentation of their He-560? Something that best it in the 3 main areas. Bass, Mids & Treble. (The HE-6 is not an option due to power requirements). I do appreciate the time you took to reply to my comment sir, and what a quick reply it was.

Nov 13, 2015 at 8:43 AM Post #14,511 of 21,171
There are really no best headphones at the Summit-level, only various flavors. If you like the HE-560, maybe something like the Enigma Acoustics Dharma D1000 would be more to your taste (review link below):

http://headphone.guru/the-dharma-d1000-hybrid-stereo-headphone-a-stat-namic-achievement/

It's reasonably priced compared to other Summit-level headphones like the Hifiman HE1000, LCD4 etc.

On the other hand, Hifiman is making a more neutral version the HE1000 called the "Edition X" (no idea when this will be released).

http://hifiman.com/articles/detail/384

Nov 13, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #14,512 of 21,171
I know this has been mentioned before but my 560 with the draug V2 cable = whoa that bass. I can't believe what I am hearing from a simple (although expensive to me) cable upgrade. 

Nov 13, 2015 at 12:35 PM Post #14,513 of 21,171
  I know this has been mentioned before but my 560 with the draug V2 cable = whoa that bass. I can't believe what I am hearing from a simple (although expensive to me) cable upgrade. 

Interesting. Type of stuff I was looking to hear. I know when I upgraded cables on my LCD3s it made a big difference but wasn't sure about the 560s. Besides the bass any noteable improvements?

Nov 14, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #14,514 of 21,171

Interesting. Type of stuff I was looking to hear. I know when I upgraded cables on my LCD3s it made a big difference but wasn't sure about the 560s. Besides the bass any noteable improvements?

I am hearing more body in vocals too, I would say more lush. I don't think it's just placebo effect because I knew very well how they sounded before the cable upgrade. I wanted more bass quantity and the mids sounded great already but the increase in body/lushness is icing on the cake.

I also wasn't expecting a huge improvement at all, I love them the way they sounded before the Draug V2. I just didn't like the stock cable's material and the Draug seems to have good feedback here so I went for it. Glad I did. 

Nov 14, 2015 at 9:33 AM Post #14,515 of 21,171

I am hearing more body in vocals too, I would say more lush. I don't think it's just placebo effect because I knew very well how they sounded before the cable upgrade. I wanted more bass quantity and the mids sounded great already but the increase in body/lushness is icing on the cake.

Dude, I certainly can't say what is happening as fact one way or the other, but what you are describing could easily be textbook confirmation bias. It doesn't matter how well you knew something, that is no buffer against confirmation bias, placebo effect, expectation bias, whatever we elect to call it.

Nov 14, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #14,516 of 21,171
Dude, I certainly can't say what is happening as fact one way or the other, but what you are describing could easily be textbook confirmation bias. It doesn't matter how well you knew something, that is no buffer against confirmation bias, placebo effect, expectation bias, whatever we elect to call it.

You may be right but maybe I can find someone to help me blind test the cables who is willing to unscrew and screw those darn connectors =)

Nov 14, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #14,517 of 21,171
Just swap back and forth between cables yourself...after a few rounds you'll be able to hear the differences. I use a Audio Sensibility cable on my 560's, and for me, their improvement only became apparent on the 2nd round of swapping...but boy is it instantly noticeable now for me!

These improvements include; more body in vocals, increased bass extension, slightly tamed treble around 7-10KHz but also more sparkle and shimmer, a bunch of soundstage benefits like; wider, taller, better layering, more 3D and I happen to believe the stock is very, very good for OEM. 

I believe OFC cables such as Audeze and HD800 to be in another camp altogether where OCC aftermarket cables can provide...some may scoff but...drastic improvements! From what I've heard anyway:) But everyone's system is only as good as it's weakest link and if your other cables aren't up to the quality of your OCC headphone cable it may be harder to discern the differences between headphone cables. 

Nov 14, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #14,518 of 21,171
  But everyone's system is only as good as it's weakest link and if your other cables aren't up to the quality of your OCC headphone cable it may be harder to discern the differences between headphone cables. 

This is one of the most common ways of deflecting away from at least considering that confirmation bias is a valid explanation to consider. So if somebody doesn't agree that cables make a difference it must be their system? While I am a cable agnostic in that I haven't been able to do any real blind testing myself, and I don't say that cables can't make a difference, I do actually hope they do. I think it is fantastic that people have another option open to them to give them even more pleasure from their hobby. Hell I spent some good money on a Norne speaker tap cable. I'm sure I could have found a cheaper option, but in the back of my mind I was thinking, hoping what if .... I can't say I have heard a difference, but I haven't been able to test so I have no evidence either way. But if you look at my gear while it is FAR from summit-fi, it most certainly is adequate.

I'm not sure if your response was directed at me, or sort-of, but I did think it was at least partially hence why I quoted you. Hopefully I don't seem like I'm attacking you. I love head-fi, a great community and I try hard to contribute and not make others feel that they can't disagree with me without getting a huge negative backlash.

Nov 14, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #14,519 of 21,171

SD, I can confirm that the Draug 2 has a positive impact on the bass (& soundstage, treble) on the HE560. At one of the Nashville Meets, we compared mine to a stock pair. Out of 10 listeners, all 10 believed the bass was increased on my pair, though 2 of the listeners believed it was "too much".

Not publication worthy, but a fun experiement :wink:!

Nov 14, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #14,520 of 21,171
SD, I can confirm that the Draug 2 has a positive impact on the bass (& soundstage, treble) on the HE560. At one of the Nashville Meets, we compared mine to a stock pair. Out of 10 listeners, all 10 believed the bass was increased on my pair, though 2 of the listeners believed it was "too much".

Not publication worthy, but a fun experiement
wink.gif
!

You give me hope brother, you give me hope! I will always keep that hope alive until proven otherwise. I'm an objectivist who thinks that this hobby without the richness of subjective experience is just not much fun at all. Still digging my Solv X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back