= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Sep 13, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #14,041 of 21,179
How is the HE-560 compared to T1? Or T1.2 if anyone has heard that :)

I preferred my modded 560 (very musical, nice cohesive sound) to the T1 (treble etch, bass lite), the T2 I haven't heard.

Sep 13, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #14,043 of 21,179
I've heard stock versions of both HE-560 and T1 at headphone meets. Honestly, I'm just waiting to see if the new connectors make their way to the HE-560 before I upgrade from my HE-400S to the HE-560. It sounded fantastic each time I've heard it. I would personally rate it higher than the T1.

You might also want to find out what kinds of modifications were done. Some are easy, such as replacing the pads. I've replaced the pads and am in the process of making a new grill on my HE-400S, and neither part is particularly difficult to do.

Sep 13, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #14,044 of 21,179
  I've heard stock versions of both HE-560 and T1 at headphone meets. Honestly, I'm just waiting to see if the new connectors make their way to the HE-560 before I upgrade from my HE-400S to the HE-560. It sounded fantastic each time I've heard it. I would personally rate it higher than the T1.

You might also want to find out what kinds of modifications were done. Some are easy, such as replacing the pads. I've replaced the pads and am in the process of making a new grill on my HE-400S, and neither part is particularly difficult to do.

Why did you like it better than T1, and how is the treble?

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:18 AM Post #14,045 of 21,179

Why did you like it better than T1, and how is the treble?

Note that all my hearing was at local meets or a headphone store in NY. But each time I've put the HE-560 on my head, it has just sounded balanced to my ears. Treble was very clear, and not too much. I felt the treble in the T1 to be overdone. There was a lot to like about the T1, but as I started to relax and let the sound "take over", the treble was just there in too much quantity. It was like the treble came first. The HE-560 simply had a better balance of sound. I could pick and choose my focus point more easily.

Sep 13, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #14,046 of 21,179
  Note that all my hearing was at local meets or a headphone store in NY. But each time I've put the HE-560 on my head, it has just sounded balanced to my ears. Treble was very clear, and not too much. I felt the treble in the T1 to be overdone. There was a lot to like about the T1, but as I started to relax and let the sound "take over", the treble was just there in too much quantity. It was like the treble came first. The HE-560 simply had a better balance of sound. I could pick and choose my focus point more easily.

Thank you for your impression!

Sep 13, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #14,047 of 21,179

Yes, right? The new connectors are so much better, dunno why Hifiman didn't think to switch to these earlier.

The HE560 does provide a very balanced sound, ever so slightly more bass and treble than the mids, but not all that noticeable. The clarity and detail are impressive and I don't have any issues listening to the sound signature long term. Based on what I've read regarding Beyerdynamic cans, it's not surprising to me that you thing the treble on the T1 is a little too much. Beyers have been well-regarded by trebleheads.

Sep 13, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #14,048 of 21,179
How about the stock 560?

I'd go with sheldaze on this one, it's been too long since I have listened to a stock 560. I love my HD800, to me the two offer a great balance until I can afford an HEK, though I would like to spend some time with the LCD3 as well.

Sep 13, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #14,049 of 21,179
I'd go with @sheldaze on this one, it's been too long since I have listened to a stock 560. I love my HD800, to me the two offer a great balance until I can afford an HEK, though I would like to spend some time with the LCD3 as well.

You didn't mention what your mods are on the 560. I too am interested in what you changed.

Sep 13, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #14,050 of 21,179
You didn't mention what your mods are on the 560. I too am interested in what you changed.

I have the Draug 2 Cable, balanced with a single ended dongle. The grill mod, Focus A Pads, and prefer the pads with thin ring of double sided sealing the outer, Jerg lite.

Sep 13, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #14,051 of 21,179
I have the Draug 2 Cable, balanced with a single ended dongle. The grill mod, Focus A Pads, and prefer the pads with thin ring of double sided sealing the outer, Jerg lite.

I remember now... you had mentioned this previously. Got the Focus A and grill mod done on mine. I may try sealing the pads. The Draug 2 is not happening for me

Sep 13, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #14,052 of 21,179
I remember now... you had mentioned this previously. Got the Focus A and grill mod done on mine. I may try sealing the pads. The Draug 2 is not happening for me

I know, remembered after I posted that you aren't a cable guy. You really aught to come over to the Dark Side:smiling_imp:....

Sep 14, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #14,053 of 21,179
I think the price point of the cable upgrade makes it hard to swallow as you can easy jump to a different pair of flagships that will offer a more dramatic overall change in sound signature instead. however, if your system is built around the HE-560 and you really enjoy those headphones, I can see why some people go for it if they have experienced positive cable effects previously. for me personally, I haven't found a cable that really justifies its premium sticker price and I am less sensitive to cable swaps from my personal testing so ymmv of course.

also, in terms of mods, I would say that the sonic differences achieved is much smaller than it may read out and the FR curve changes are not very dramatic at all from my measurements. if you dislike the HE-560 stock, I would recommend just going in a different direction than purchasing it and trying to fiddle with it. Some aspects of the HE-560's sound (such as its upper mid-recession and emphasized lower treble tuning) will also be present to a certain degree no matter how you fiddle with it (imo). In its stock form, the HE-560 does sound quite close to the HD800 and HE-6 (which are both very highly-regarded) with some specific subtle differences that I think will be more preference orientated. I do also think whether the sonic differences achieved with mods is better may also be a little bit preference based as well. Definitely think it is fun to try at least to see! :)

Sep 14, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #14,054 of 21,179
I'm not a believer in premium sticker cable, not when you've got guys who'll diy you a cable for less than 1/4 of the price and still make a good profit with the same cable/connectors/shield/etc (outside of Head-fi of course because all diy stuff is to be sold at cost around here...).

As for believing in cables, there certainly seems to be sound changes even on power cables. A recent blind test on our recent mini-meet shows that different cables do alter sound.

The only thing that wasn't expected however was the cheap bin power cable getting good remarks along with $200-$500 power cables. So what does that say about that?

Sep 14, 2015 at 7:40 AM Post #14,055 of 21,179
It says that cabling's effects on SQ may likely be system-dependent. And that price is not always predictive of performance.

For the 560, I still use the stock SE out of BHA-1 or Polaris. Not going to get a balanced cable there. Love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back