= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Sep 14, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #14,056 of 21,179
You may not believe that cable changes make a difference in SQ, but I definitely hear them. It's not of the magnitude of getting new cans, but got Norne Zoetic for my HEK, posted on the Norne and HEK thread, wouldn't go back.

Sep 14, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #14,057 of 21,179
You may not believe that cable changes make a difference in SQ, but I definitely hear them.

You're talking to the converted, Doc. I use after-market power and interconnect cables on my floor system. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #14,058 of 21,179
I'm not a believer in premium sticker cable, not when you've got guys who'll diy you a cable for less than 1/4 of the price and still make a good profit with the same cable/connectors/shield/etc (outside of Head-fi of course because all diy stuff is to be sold at cost around here...).

As for believing in cables, there certainly seems to be sound changes even on power cables. A recent blind test on our recent mini-meet shows that different cables do alter sound.

The only thing that wasn't expected however was the cheap bin power cable getting good remarks along with $200-$500 power cables. So what does that say about that?

did you record any info on the blind test? Could possibly make some objectivists eats their own hat 
biggrin.gif

Sep 14, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #14,059 of 21,179
I'm not a believer in premium sticker cable, not when you've got guys who'll diy you a cable for less than 1/4 of the price and still make a good profit with the same cable/connectors/shield/etc (outside of Head-fi of course because all diy stuff is to be sold at cost around here...).

As for believing in cables, there certainly seems to be sound changes even on power cables. A recent blind test on our recent mini-meet shows that different cables do alter sound.

The only thing that wasn't expected however was the cheap bin power cable getting good remarks along with $200-$500 power cables. So what does that say about that?

It probably says that when performing a blind test we have some kind of expectancy. That's probably why we hear differences. Even if there are differences those are not price dependant at all. Without a blind test we have much more information about the cables and thus we have different expectations. That's probably why a more-expensive, more nicely packaged cable, together with the manufacturer's promise about the sound excellence, always sounds better. But I believe that this kind of discussion is better placed in Sound Sci(l)ence 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #14,060 of 21,179

did you record any info on the blind test? Could possibly make some objectivists eats their own hat 
biggrin.gif

It probably says that when performing a blind test we have some kind of expectancy. That's probably why we hear differences. Even if there are differences those are not price dependant at all. Without a blind test we have much more information about the cables and thus we have different expectations. That's probably why a more-expensive, more nicely packaged cable, together with the manufacturer's promise about the sound excellence, always sounds better. But I believe that this kind of discussion is better placed in Sound Sci(l)ence 
smily_headphones1.gif

It was an observation, I didn't perform the test myself but I did peek into the room once in a while. I wanted to take the test but I was glued to my phone watching Seattle trying to stay on the playoff picture (soccer).

Anywho it's very interesting findings. Something that can be replicated by a small group that have a collection of differently priced cables. If you were trying to squeeze every last drop of sound and money was no object, power cables do alter sound (hence cables do alter sound). However, how close the POS cable came to the other boutique cables, where you're having to really listen to hear the differences (room was silent btw when tests were conducted). One would say that diminishing returns is on the high side for power cables.

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:15 PM Post #14,061 of 21,179
Just got my 560s a couple of days ago.

I don't really care for the stock pads. I have a pair of alpha pads lying around and I guess I could try some audeze vegans but I'm not sure about the best way to attach them as they use a different method than the focuspads. Could I just cut away the extra and keep the attachment ring of the focuspads and try to glue them on?

Any advice?

The clamp force is already a bit high on these, I wonder if it would be unbearable changing pads to for example alpha pads as they are quite a lot thicker.

Sep 17, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #14,063 of 21,179
  Bewteen HE-400i and HE-560 which of the two is the brightest?

I found the he-400i to be darker and the he-560 to be brighter, but the differences aren't very large at all imo.

if you are afraid of excessive brightness, I would recommend going for the HE-400i.

Sep 17, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #14,064 of 21,179
  I found the he-400i to be darker and the he-560 to be brighter, but the differences aren't very large at all imo.

if you are afraid of excessive brightness, I would recommend going for the HE-400i.

I found it the other way around actually :p  LOL :p  

Sep 17, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #14,066 of 21,179
Nah, 560 is brighter to my ears, by quite a bit. The 400S is still the smoothest HFM though, IMO.

Sep 17, 2015 at 2:52 PM Post #14,067 of 21,179
560 is definitely brighter. I think in part this is due to the 4-5 K peak, but overall there is more treble energy in the 560 signature. I do agree with Money, if you have an aversion to a bright (er) signature, definitely go with the 400i.

Sep 17, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #14,068 of 21,179
  560 is definitely brighter. I think in part this is due to the 4-5 K peak, but overall there is more treble energy in the 560 signature. I do agree with Money, if you have an aversion to a bright (er) signature, definitely go with the 400i.

I think this was in reference to a purchase decision by @Youth not @money4me247

Sep 17, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #14,069 of 21,179
I do to, but I was agreeing to a subsequent comment by Money.. that was in response to the question by Youth..

Sep 17, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #14,070 of 21,179
I think they can both potentially be as bright depending on how sensitive you are to certain frequencies. The 560 has a hump centered around 4-6khz, while the 400i has a peak centered around 8-9khz.  The peak on the 400i is more sharp and stark, while the hump on the 560 is more apparent in general, as it effects the harmonics of more instruments etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back