= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 1, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #13,591 of 21,179
I've owned both of them and didn't like the HD650 much. However to me they are two headphones with different signatures where I can see someone enjoying one over the other. Also the HD650 is much cheaper and I bought/sold mine at around $300 which is half the price of the HE-560 in the used market. 

Jul 1, 2015 at 10:26 AM Post #13,592 of 21,179
Have them both as well, couldn't get $300 now with the prices that 650 has sold for. I like the 560 better, but I just put on the 650 yesterday, it is a great sounding headphone!

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:15 PM Post #13,593 of 21,179
Have them both as well, couldn't get $300 now with the prices that 650 has sold for. I like the 560 better, but I just put on the 650 yesterday, it is a great sounding headphone!

+1 on that.

560 is a stunning HP -- putting it on after the 650 is a bit like sipping Evian after tap water. Both are refreshing to different degrees, and a lot depends on the quality of the upstream sources and amps. I couldn't do without both.

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:33 PM Post #13,595 of 21,179
Which warm DAC do you guys recommend for the HE-560? Which one are you using? Are you pairing it with a warm amp? How do you like the combo?

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #13,596 of 21,179
  Which warm DAC do you guys recommend for the HE-560? Which one are you using? Are you pairing it with a warm amp? How do you like the combo?

is your present DAC too cool? I didn't find the 560 bright for my ears and music. Of course, I don't play hard rock thru it....

I use a BDA-1. It's not "warm", but quite a chameleon. Hooked to BHA-1.  Two chams are better than one, I think.

I wouldn't think it's the DAC that shapes warmth/brightness. More the amp and quality of the tracks you're playing. And the volume you listen at.

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #13,597 of 21,179

I used a Gungnir with the 560 and very much liked the pairing. You lose a little clarity some feel with the Gungnir, but it is very musical and if you want to warm up the 560 a tad it is well worth considering.

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #13,598 of 21,179

+1 on that.

560 is a stunning HP -- putting it on after the 650 is a bit like sipping Evian after tap water. Both are refreshing to different degrees, and a lot depends on the quality of the upstream sources and amps. I couldn't do without both.

I think the complaints people have with the 650 occur when they aren't driven well, demanding headphones. Initially found them to have the Senn "veil" people complain of, until I got the Ray Samuels HR-2 and heard them driven well, veil gone. Now, with the MicroZOTL the other night, quite stunning sounding, really
(the 560 also didn't wow me until I plugged them into the HR-2, found them tizzy, no complaints once driven well).

Jul 2, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #13,599 of 21,179
I think the complaints people have with the 650 occur when they aren't driven well, demanding headphones. Initially found them to have the Senn "veil" people complain of, until I got the Ray Samuels HR-2 and heard them driven well, veil gone. Now, with the MicroZOTL the other night, quite stunning sounding, really
(the 560 also didn't wow me until I plugged them into the HR-2, found them tizzy, no complaints once driven well).

they both scale well, the 650 a bit better, methinks.

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:00 PM Post #13,600 of 21,179

When I owned my 650 they were driven with an SPL Auditor and a Gungnir DAC with all lossless material, and the veil was to my ears still quite present. At the time I also owned a DT 880 and opted to keep the 880 and sold the 650. The 650 was seductive, no surprise as warmish headphones smooth out the edges. Still, I couldn't get past the feeling that something was just slightly missing. Sure, the 880s had more of the edge, but I felt they were at least balanced better than the 650 and with well recorded music the extra treble energy was far less edgy sounding rather letting more micro-detail through.

I wouldn't be shocked if in genial younger ears hear the 650s as less veiled than do older ears. Regardless, for me the 650s while pleasant and seductive were just a little too boring, which could never be said about the 560s. I would also suggest that of the two, the 560s were more demanding, but I think here we might be splitting hairs more than anything.

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #13,601 of 21,179
No arguments, they all certainly don't sound the same, comes down to preferences once you get to this point. Haven't actually heard many Beyers, have the DT1350, which was actually an acquired taste for me...filled the same niche as the Senn Amperior, liked the Senn more initially, smoother, sounded more coherent, but the 1350 had more detail, after a while find myself reaching for them more often then my original favorite. (not the possessor of young ears, maybe "young at heart" ears, though that phrase is usually partly pejorative...).

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #13,602 of 21,179
No arguments, they all certainly don't sound the same, comes down to preferences once you get to this point. Haven't actually heard many Beyers, have the DT1350, which was actually an acquired taste for me...filled the same niche as the Senn Amperior, liked the Senn more initially, smoother, sounded more coherent, but the 1350 had more detail, after a while find myself reaching for them more often then my original favorite. (not the possessor of young ears, maybe "young at heart" ears, though that phrase is usually partly pejorative...).

Can't argue with that, preferences ultimately explain perceptual differences I suspect. For the record I did enjoy the 650s, just not as much as I expected. Yes young at heart does sound pejorative as in 8 days I will be 47. How the hell did that happen anyway? I swear I'm still 29. 

Jul 2, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #13,603 of 21,179

Can't argue with that, preferences ultimately explain perceptual differences I suspect. For the record I did enjoy the 650s, just not as much as I expected. Yes young at heart does sound pejorative as in 8 days I will be 47. How the hell did that happen anyway? I swear I'm still 29. 

47? You're still a baby!!!!! :wink_face:

Jul 2, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #13,604 of 21,179
Evian is also an acquired taste. Too much dog oil for me. Geek Out V2 arrived today. Hoping for acqua panna results

Jul 2, 2015 at 7:19 PM Post #13,605 of 21,179
Evian is also an acquired taste. Too much dog oil for me. Geek Out V2 arrived today. Hoping for acqua panna results

560 + gumbo crawfish + preservation hall in n'awlins = bliss
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back