= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 2, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #13,606 of 21,179
Yeah life is good here. Don't need a portable rig. Cuz you'd get killed for it. :).

Jul 2, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #13,607 of 21,179
the he560 is my personal favorite in the sub$1k and sub$2k categories.

if tryin to save money, I wld prefer the he400i over the sennheisers, but i greatly enjoy both the hd600 and hd650 (hd600 egdes it out for me in terms of both price point & sound). still the $200 new k7xx performance price ratio and overall SQ makes would be my personal budget pick. Above $1k, there are many solid contenders, but I still personally feel my he-560 is a better match for my tastes & a much better pverall value. guess I am lucky in that sense. Complimentary headphones I wld recommend for the he560 wld be the th900, lcd-x, or lcd-3 based on preference. replacements or alternatives at the flagship level wld be the ether, hd800, or k812, but the he560 stays extremely sonically competitive with much pricier headphones.

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #13,608 of 21,179

is your present DAC too cool? I didn't find the 560 bright for my ears and music. Of course, I don't play hard rock thru it....

I use a BDA-1. It's not "warm", but quite a chameleon. Hooked to BHA-1.  Two chams are better than one, I think.

I wouldn't think it's the DAC that shapes warmth/brightness. More the amp and quality of the tracks you're playing. And the volume you listen at.

I'm using the Oppo HA-1 and the general idea that I get from the HA-1 thread is that the DAC part is cool whereas the class A amp is pretty decent. BDA-1 is a little too expensive for me.

I used a Gungnir with the 560 and very much liked the pairing. You lose a little clarity some feel with the Gungnir, but it is very musical and if you want to warm up the 560 a tad it is well worth considering.

The gungnir looks nice, but I was thinking of something under $500 perhaps.

What other DACs are known to be good with the HE-560 (for a warm sound)?

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:19 PM Post #13,609 of 21,179
I'm using the Oppo HA-1 and the general idea that I get from the HA-1 thread is that the DAC part is cool whereas the class A amp is pretty decent. BDA-1 is a little too expensive for me.

Really have enjoyed my Ûber Bifrost with my 560s, holding on to it since Schiit will be offering upgrade R2R boards.

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #13,610 of 21,179
Loved my Lyr 2, and my new Tarus Mk. 2 takes my 560s to a whole new level!

It sounds great with my Lyr and to borrow a phrase my Ragnarok "takes it to a new level." At least via balanced cables. I think the Lyr with certain tubes equals the SE out. My entire audio chain is connected via balanced (XLR). If you demo the Ragnarok balanced headphone cables are a must

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #13,611 of 21,179
It sounds great with my Lyr and to borrow a phrase my Ragnarok "takes it to a new level." At least via balanced cables. I think the Lyr with certain tubes equals the SE out. My entire audio chain is connected via balanced (XLR). If you demo the Ragnarok balanced headphone cables are a must

Tried the Rag at the Meet in Nashville it is a fantastic Amp, I also prefer the balanced connection on the Taurus. Even though the SE out has more power into 32 ohm loads (or 50 such as the 560).

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #13,612 of 21,179

Audio-gd is fairly warm (Wolfson and BurrBrown). The Gustard X12 is fairly warm especially for a Sabre. Most R2R and NOS DACs are warm (TotalDak, Theta, etc.)

And from my experience a DAC can very much change the listening experience. In fact, as far as tonality goes, it's been HP > DAC > AMP for me

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #13,614 of 21,179
Tried the Rag at the Meet in Nashville it is a fantastic Amp, I also prefer the balanced connection on the Taurus. Even though the SE out has more power into 32 ohm loads (or 50 such as the 560).

Hi Wild
I was under the impression that the balanced put out more. Given that it's 15 watts RMS into 32 Ohms I don't think it will fall short. :)

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:35 PM Post #13,615 of 21,179
Where did you read that?

Jason just commented on that in his last Posting on his "Schiit Happened" Thread. Said people would now have a choice between R2R and DS. They will have new boards for the Gunginir and Bifrost.

Jul 3, 2015 at 12:14 AM Post #13,616 of 21,179
Jason just commented on that in his last Posting on his "Schiit Happened" Thread. Said people would now have a choice between R2R and DS. They will have new boards for the Gunginir and Bifrost.

Now that has my interest!

Jul 3, 2015 at 2:01 AM Post #13,618 of 21,179
most  my listening happens on the porch, so a full set up isn't practical. I gotta say the v2 geek out is making these things sing for a portable set up. just asus laptop->GO V2->he-560 . haven't tried it balanced yet. just got the thing today. the high end is completely tamed and the bass is much stronger while everything is more natural sounding. 'ive got wav and wma files outta both fubar and the media player from windows and both are working great though the latter is not advised.( I've never had a problem with it). Of course, I'm not getting the soundstage of the Lyr with the Russian tubes in it but the tone is pretty fn awesome.

Jul 3, 2015 at 9:25 AM Post #13,619 of 21,179
Liked the original GO 1k (still have it), bought the GO Special Edition, incredibly sweet sounding. Waiting on their upcoming stuff, Wave and Vi Tube dac. They're a PIA to deal with and wait for, the crowd funding business LH Labs style is a headache, but Larry knows good sound imo.

Jul 3, 2015 at 12:25 PM Post #13,620 of 21,179
Me too. Waiting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back