= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jun 26, 2015 at 4:53 PM Post #13,561 of 21,179

Hi DreamKing, do you remember which song makes your HE560 rattled? I recently suffer very similar issue with my HE560. The song I refer to is Biosphere's Microgravity (Artist: Biosphere, Album: Microgravity, Song: Microgravity). I should note that this rattled sound (, or vibration, or harmonic disturbance...) happens when this song is played in quiet bass range in near CD quality.  

That's the same kind of rattling I'm talking about. It wasn't about any specific song but one example was the beginning first seconds of Bat for Lashes' Laura (artist: Bat for Lashes album: The Haunted Man, Song: Laura ). It could be heard mostly with any quiet piano resonance and also anything else with use of resonance.  

First, screw in the aluminium ring as tight as possible and see if it fixes it. The screws can loosen up with long-term use if they're not tight enough. 

Jun 26, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #13,562 of 21,179

That's the same kind of rattling I'm talking about. It wasn't about any specific song but one example was the beginning first seconds of Bat for Lashes' Laura (artist: Bat for Lashes album: The Haunted Man, Song: Laura ). It could be heard mostly with any quiet piano resonance and also anything else with use of resonance.  

First, screw in the aluminium ring as tight as possible and see if it fixes it. The screws can loosen up with long-term use if they're not tight enough. 

Thanks for the song and the solution. Is this a common issue for planar magnetic headphone? Anyway, I think I will give up my HE560.

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #13,563 of 21,179

Thanks for the song and the solution. Is this a common issue for planar magnetic headphone? Anyway, I think I will give up my HE560.

I don't know. Headphones can have very different designs that can affect sound dramatically (relatively) so the construction has to be as tight as possible. I've seen QC issues with Audeze too but haven't looked at other planars beyond that. Hifiman and Audeze are the two biggest planar-magnetic headphone manufacturers to my memory (someone correct me if I'm wrong), so maybe keeping the design solid at all times is a challenge.

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:11 PM Post #13,564 of 21,179

no, it's not directly related to planar magnetic design.

Rattling can occur on any headphone. An easy thing to try is to take off the earpads and make sure there is not any dust or hair on the driver as that can cause rattling issues.

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:38 PM Post #13,565 of 21,179

Rattling can occur on any headphone. An easy thing to try is to take off the earpads and make sure there is not any dust or hair on the driver as that can cause rattling issues.

Right on Money, it is common enough to be referred to as, "grattle" by Grado Aficionados. Relax, make sure there isn't any dust or hair on your drivers. Blow gently to dislodge anything there. Check your pads to confirm they are tightly attached. Enjoy your music.

Jun 26, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #13,566 of 21,179

In the general sense you're right it isn't, but the kind of rattling particular to the HE-560 (aluminium ring, sealing) is unique in my experience. The rattle with resonance was heard from 2 in 2 fresh/new units so that leads me to believe it's a HE-560 problem but I can't speak for other stuff. I've never heard rattling on anything else I've had even after for a long periods of time besides very cheap stuff (sub-$50).The rattling was fixed the way I described earlier, and though it could be possible, I can't imagine it being a dust or hair problem with the triple dust-proof fabrics/filters found on the HE-560 and most headphones block it in their own way too. I can see it happening if it found its way while the headphone was being assembled however (QC issue).

Jun 27, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #13,568 of 21,179
Anyone using the HE-560 with a DAP?
Are you satisfied with any (not adding an amp)

Hifiman 901 with the Elfidelity fully balanced card. Sounded amazing.

A friend has this player. The only one being able to drive 560 to full potential in my book.

But why not add a Cayin C5 or iDSD micro to your normal dap?

Cheers,
K

Jun 29, 2015 at 9:50 PM Post #13,569 of 21,179
What amps are people liking with the HE560?

I've read back a bit and seeing a bit of talk of Vio/Lake People gear.  I heard the 560 on the weekend at a meet, and I have to say I did not enjoy them out of my NFB1/V200.  But I also heard them out of a NFB1/Soloist SL stack and thought they were incredible.

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #13,571 of 21,179
What amps are people liking with the HE560?

I've read back a bit and seeing a bit of talk of Vio/Lake People gear.  I heard the 560 on the weekend at a meet, and I have to say I did not enjoy them out of my NFB1/V200.  But I also heard them out of a NFB1/Soloist SL stack and thought they were incredible.

Loved my Lyr 2, and my new Tarus Mk. 2 takes my 560s to a whole new level!

Jun 29, 2015 at 10:57 PM Post #13,573 of 21,179
Jun 29, 2015 at 11:05 PM Post #13,575 of 21,179
I will have HE1000s to try later this week, looking forward to hooking it up to the Taurus Mk. 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back