= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Apr 9, 2015 at 11:13 AM Post #12,586 of 21,171

A quick Google found me this -

Source.

Reviews are great for insight, and that blurb was certainly helpful, but I'm much more concerned with the impressions of members lingering here who have actually purchased a Pono and use a pair of HE-560s; Folks that are living with them day in and day out...Does the Pono do the 560s justice?  Would a balanced cable be a better option for them?

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:21 AM Post #12,587 of 21,171

Reviews are great for insight, and that blurb was certainly helpful, but I'm much more concerned with the impressions of members lingering here who have actually purchased a Pono and use a pair of HE-560s; Folks that are living with them day in and day out...Does the Pono do the 560s justice?  Would a balanced cable be a better option for them?

I severely doubt the Pono would do them justice.

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #12,588 of 21,171

I don't know how powerful the Pono is but it seems the 560s crave a fair amount of power, so I'd probably go balanced to get all the power you can. If that's even enough? You'll have to hope someone with a Pono and the 560s can weigh in.

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #12,589 of 21,171

I severely doubt the Pono would do them justice.

"Severely"?  That's pretty conclusive....Do you have a Pono, and are you currently using it with a pair of HE-560s?

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #12,590 of 21,171

I don't know how powerful the Pono is but it seems the 560s crave a fair amount of power, so I'd probably go balanced to get all the power you can. If that's even enough? You'll have to hope someone with a Pono and the 560s can weigh in.

Cheers for the reply...I figured as much....Tyll from InnerFidelity seemed to think that the balanced option would be the way to go here.  I suppose I can always take a leap and have some balanced cables fashioned later on down the road...

Know it's a minuscule sample size, but, I'm hopeful someone with this setup will chime in... 

Apr 9, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #12,591 of 21,171

Cheers for the reply...I figured as much....Tyll from InnerFidelity seemed to think that the balanced option would be the way to go here.  I suppose I can always take a leap and have some balanced cables fashioned later on down the road...

Know it's a minuscule sample size, but, I'm hopeful someone with this setup will chime in... 

if you have a desktop amp/dac, you would be better off using your he-560 with that rather than the pono.

Apr 9, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #12,593 of 21,171
  Nice to chat across threads!!  My enthusiasm is certainly beginning to appear expensive...No amp yet, sir, just my lovely, lovely Bifrost and me lil' Pono...

hahah cross thread conversations. honestly, for non-portable usage like the el-8 or he-560, your money can much much go further into a nice desktop amp instead of the pono. A nice tube amp with the he-560 easily solves any aversion-to-brightness-type sound signature preferences... though if you want dark, the Audeze LCD line-up would be what comes to mind first. if you want neutral, the he-560 is what comes to mind. warm planar, think pm-1/pm-2.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #12,594 of 21,171

"Severely"?  That's pretty conclusive....Do you have a Pono, and are you currently using it with a pair of HE-560s?

To each his own, I found the Oppo HA-1 to nearly run out of steam when I was auditioning my 560's. I can't see a Pono fairing too well, for my taste at least.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #12,595 of 21,171

To each his own, I found the Oppo HA-1 to nearly run out of steam when I was auditioning my 560's. I can see a Pono fairing too well, for my taste at least.

If you want the tone to sound good and not thin and harsh, something like the pono will be fine. Hell even portable fiio amp is good enough to drive it to that level. But it won't be anywhere close to that magical holographic sound you will get with a high powered desktop amp.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #12,596 of 21,171

Nice to chat across threads!!  My enthusiasm is certainly beginning to appear expensive...No amp yet, sir, just my lovely, lovely Bifrost and me lil' Pono...

How are you using a Bifrost without an Amp?

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #12,598 of 21,171

If you want the tone to sound good and not thin and harsh, something like the pono will be fine. Hell even portable fiio amp is good enough to drive it to that level. But it won't be anywhere close to that magical holographic sound you will get with a high powered desktop amp.

Just as my wallet feared....c'est la vie, right?

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:39 PM Post #12,599 of 21,171
  How are you using a Bifrost without an Amp?

Fine question, my good man...I use a pair of Focal CMS65 powered studio monitors as my nearfield listening desktop setup.....magic, indeed!

Well, there is an amp after all, it's in that magical pair of powered speakers.

Apr 9, 2015 at 1:44 PM Post #12,600 of 21,171

Do you use the WA6 to power yours? I'm surprised, the person who sold me his HE-560 said his WA7 wasn't doing the job right and that it sounded thin and too airy through the amp, which looks like it's about twice more powerful than the 6. Fortunately, the sound out of mine is robust and airy with strong body. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back