= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Apr 5, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #12,556 of 21,169
Well I've got a much larger than expected tax return coming. I could be mildly irresponsible and get some HE-560s once the returns come back. Now I've only had my HE-400s since October but I'm still loving them and will probably hold on to them. But I'm wondering if the HE-560s would be a good upgrade for my tastes.

I love the 400s bass and impact but wish the mids were more present with greater clarity. Basically the sound signature I'm looking for something smooth and balanced with a little extra bass punch. People have described the 560 as bass-light, but is it really that bad? I can't imagine it sounds anemic or anything.

I listen to a lot of black and doom metal as well as rock, hip-hop and electronic stuff. I think I'd love the often praised neutrality and clarity of the 560 (as it is often described here) for a lot of my music but I just worry about it's deep punch for doom metal. Anyone care to weigh in?

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:42 PM Post #12,557 of 21,169
  Well I've got a much larger than expected tax return coming. I could be mildly irresponsible and get some HE-560s once the returns come back. Now I've only had my HE-400s since October but I'm still loving them and will probably hold on to them. But I'm wondering if the HE-560s would be a good upgrade for my tastes.

I love the 400s bass and impact but wish the mids were more present with greater clarity. Basically the sound signature I'm looking for something smooth and balanced with a little extra bass punch. People have described the 560 as bass-light, but is it really that bad? I can't imagine it sounds anemic or anything.

I listen to a lot of black and doom metal as well as rock, hip-hop and electronic stuff. I think I'd love the often praised neutrality and clarity of the 560 (as it is often described here) for a lot of my music but I just worry about it's deep punch for doom metal. Anyone care to weigh in?

if looking for the same overall sound signature but slightly more balanced with a generally better sound quality, the lcd-x seems to fit the best. the he-560 has quite a different sound signature than the he-400. whether it suits you is hard to say until you try it for a while. takes a while for our brains to adjust to a really different sound sig as well. bass is there on present on the he-560 if the recording has it. however, it is not over-emphasized at all, so may not be what you are used to as most modern headphones emphasis the bass heavily.

Apr 5, 2015 at 8:57 PM Post #12,558 of 21,169
  if looking for the same overall sound signature but slightly more balanced with a generally better sound quality, the lcd-x seems to fit the best. the he-560 has quite a different sound signature than the he-400. whether it suits you is hard to say until you try it for a while. takes a while for our brains to adjust to a really different sound sig as well. bass is there on present on the he-560 if the recording has it. however, it is not over-emphasized at all, so may not be what you are used to as most modern headphones emphasis the bass heavily.

That's what I feared. The LCD-X does seem like it has a sound signature closer to what I'm looking for. I can do with a bit less bass on plenty of tracks and could just use my my 400s for doom where I just want very saturated. I just imagine the HE-560s would sound incredible with surf rock like Wavves and Surfer Blood and especially with shoegaze and black metal. Or would the LCD-X just do everything like that better? I know we all hear a bit differently and have different preferences but your impressions would be appreciated.

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:02 PM Post #12,559 of 21,169
  That's what I feared. The LCD-X does seem like it has a sound signature closer to what I'm looking for. I can do with a bit less bass on plenty of tracks and could just use my my 400s for doom where I just want very saturated. I just imagine the HE-560s would sound incredible with surf rock like Wavves and Surfer Blood and especially with shoegaze and black metal. Or would the LCD-X just do everything like that better? I know we all hear a bit differently and have different preferences but your impressions would be appreciated.

for a direct upgrade with similar overall sound signature, I think the lcd-x is your best bet. very similar to the HE-400 though more even frequency response overall. has that bass emphasis and solid bass quality just like the he-400.

the he-560 sounds very different than the he-400 & lcd-x. you can check my sig for some of my brief comparative thoughts.

Apr 5, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #12,560 of 21,169

I agree with this, and also would like to add your amp and source will be important. The synergy of your chain will be important, to be more precise. I've read all sorts of descriptions for the HE-560's sound. In some cases, this lead to the headphone being incompatible with the person.
I think the HE-560 has a sound unlike the majority of headphones I've heard so worth a try to anyone interested (if return policy is relaxed where you're at).

Apr 6, 2015 at 1:39 AM Post #12,561 of 21,169
New HE-560 user here! Use cheap musiland 02 us dragon for dac and DIY gainclone for the amplifier. Quite a hard thing to find a proper suitable amp for driving this headphone. That's why for the mean time I'm using the gainclone (because of the high current :D ). Sounds quite exceptional, with very good resolution, good separation, awesome depth, and very fast bass speed :D.

Apr 6, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #12,562 of 21,169
New HE-560 user here! Use cheap musiland 02 us dragon for dac and DIY gainclone for the amplifier. Quite a hard thing to find a proper suitable amp for driving this headphone. That's why for the mean time I'm using the gainclone (because of the high current
biggrin.gif
). Sounds quite exceptional, with very good resolution, good separation, awesome depth, and very fast bass speed
biggrin.gif

I'm using a portable dac/amp, the Centrance M8, to drive the HE-560 and it sounds fantastic. I had to switch on maximum gain for adequate volume though.

Apr 6, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #12,563 of 21,169

I just had a listen to a few tracks by Wavves and Surfer Blood.  Although a preamble is required for perspective.

My 560's are currently Jerg 1.0 Modded without the earpad sealing at the moment.  A quick description of the sound signature I hear compared to stock.

Basically the bass seems to be more consistent, both the quality and quantity seem to be slightly increased.  The biggest difference to my ears is in the upper treble which seems to increase in quantity a fair bit when you remove the outer grills and cloth.  Then again even more when you remove the dust-filter cloth from the ear-pads.  Both of these mods improve the soundstage, imaging, air and clarity significantly.  However it also tilts them to a brighter tonal balance.  I actually thought it was just too bright when I originally removed the dust-filter from the earpads. I originally felt a bit of ear fatigue and actually ordered another pair of stock focuspads.  However my ears and/or brain adjusted and the fatigue subsided.  When the stock pads arrived I found they veiled the sound far too much and also made the 4khz peak stick out far too much.

Which brings me to the one perceived short coming with the 560's for me, the 4k peak and dip that precedes it.  I find the extra upper treble provided by the mods makes the peak much less of a problem because the frequencies above the peak are increased in quantity and not fighting with the peak to be heard.  For example when I installed the stock focuspads again, I found the tonality to be warmer(and veiled) but I had to turn up the volume on the amp to acheive the same perceived volume to my ears.  When I increased the volume the 4k peak stuck out like a sore thumb and seemed much more aggresive (and grating in general but still track dependent).

Anyway that preamble is obviously more useful to people who have already heard the 560's, but it is relevant to my impressions of the following tracks.

The short version: My modded 560's are more revealing and brighter than a stock pair.  The tracks below did not benefit from the revealing nature of my setup.  The 400i* and or maybe a stock 560 would probably be better suited to these tracks. *(I have never actually heard the 400i)

Anyway...the original reason for this post. Unfortunately these tracks were all mp3's ranging from 172kb VBR to 256kb CBR.  It's possible a bad rip could be to blame but I'm quite sure it's the original recording quality that is to blame.

Wavves: Post Acid
I'm immediately reminded of why some people had initial impressions of the 560's being bass light.  There's not a lot of bass in this track and the 560's are not going to artificially boost it for you.  There is however already a ton of energy in the 4 khz region of the guitars.  The 560 elevates this region further and causes it to be a bit overwhelming.  I don't listen to a lot of Wavves but I believe they have Lo-fi reputation, and the 560's confirm this by revealing some uglier guitar reverb and disortion artifacts.

Surfer Blood: Swim
I love this track. However I prefer listening to it on something less revealing my 560's.  They use a ton of reverb on the vocals in this track and on my 560's it's a bit much.  Through my 560's I think an experienced recording engineer would actually be able to tell you the make and model of the reverb device they used here.  I think the 4k peak exascerbates my problem with the vocals a bit as well.  The good news is the 4k peak doesn't effect the guitars like the previous track, but the guitars are by no means suberbly recorded (Lo-fi). So the 560's don't reveal anything special here.

Surfer Blood: Floating Vibes
This has a lot less reverb used all around here and is generally the best of the bunch.  Nothing is overdone however it's still not a superb recording that the 560's would reward with extra subtle details.

I think all these tracks would sound significantly better through the 560's and a warmer setup.  They may very well be gorgeous through a tube amp.  You could also use EQ to help them out.

These tracks all sound a touch bass light.  Which is just the 560's being neutral in the bass and a bit hot at 4khz where these tracks have more energy than most.  Lossless versions may help as well.  They're not un-listenable by any means but they're probably in the 10% of my music collection that 560 can't help.

That's not to say that all Lo-fi artist recordings don't benefit from the 560's revealing nature.  Many of The Black Lips tracks are more enjoyable through the 560's.  They reveal exactly the sound envisioned and recorded and you can appreaciate exactly the "Lo-fi" aesthetic they provide in a way that's impossible with less revealing HP's and speakers.  There can be some fantastic instrument separation and imaging in Black Lips tracks.

Real Estate is a band I lumped into the Lo-fi category when they debuted.  This was due to their retro sound that relies heavily on reverb.  However they sound better than ever through the 560's.  All their albums sound great but they're actually getting better with each successive album.  My FLAC rip of their lastest album Atlas is impossible to get away from.  You won't find a better window into their carefully crafted reverb guitar sound than the 560's.

50's-60's surf rock is also a treat on the 560's in most cases if you're into that.  Shoegaze I can see being a hit or miss genre.  MBV's first album may fair worse than their latest, I don't know.

The fact is that the 560's are revealing and transparent. Some of your favorite recordings may not make the grade.  However the ones that do will make the payoff more than worth it.

Since performing the mods I have started becoming a bit of a classical fan, mostly because the genre lays all the 560's magic out for you to hear.

So that was a pretty long-winded.  I better stop here.  If anyone feels compelled to quote this, please use the spoiler option.

Apr 6, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #12,564 of 21,169

I appreciate you sharing your experience. Your post is exactly why I don't dabble in modding the HE-560 
tongue.gif
 All my go to recordings sound amazing to me in my current setup. I don't hear the 4khz peak at all through my chain (I'm extremely sensitive to too much activity at that frequency as I'm sure most people are).

520RanchBro,I think the experience of someone with a similar setup to you would be useful. I feel TMRaven's thread comparing the HE-560 and LCD-X with the Schiit Asgard2 and the Schiit Bifrost Uber Analog as the associated gear is relevant:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/722163/battle-of-the-modern-planars-lcd-x-vs-pm-1-vs-he-560

Apr 6, 2015 at 9:24 PM Post #12,565 of 21,169
I'm using a portable dac/amp, the Centrance M8, to drive the HE-560 and it sounds fantastic. I had to switch on maximum gain for adequate volume though.

The Fiio E-12 diy (250.00) is even more powerful. I have both of those amps. The Fiio is slightly more open and airy with deeper tighter bass.. Less veiled. Definetely more power to the HE-560s. The M8 still has decent power though.

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #12,566 of 21,169

A few days ago , I have a chance to listen he560 through m8. I'm using the highest gain, and the volume clock goes up to about 3 o'clock. It is loud enough, but imho it still lacks some power for the imaging. I think still the best amplifier for ortho that needs lots of power is still the bakoon amp (the current output). Super powerful, even powerful enough to drive the abyss 1266.

Apr 7, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #12,567 of 21,169
Thanks @DreamKing and @slambanna!

Well I'm bidding on a pair of 560s on eBay for $550, if I get them for that, it'll be worth it to me. I think it sounds perfect for black metal and more avant-garde and drone music. For those genres I appreciate treble energy and more air, even if it does get a bit grainy or piercing with some albums. I just feel the HE-400 is too veiled on some BM albums, I want more cut and aggression. The LCD-Xs seem to be my ideal headphone for everything else, I'm just concerned about comfort. My HE-400 is fine for me but the Xs are even heavier. I'd like to eventually have both in my collection. Also my car may need some more costly repairs, leaving the already large stretch to afford the LCD-Xs a bit unrealistic.

My plan for the time being is trying to find a good deal on the 560s or maybe the 400i and wait and see what Audeze does to update their models in the coming year or two. Even if they don't update anything, I'm sure the X's will still be around. Is this a good idea or are the 560s just completely wrong for me and I should just save for the X now? I'm not very experienced with how these different models sound so all of your advice is not taken lightly. Thanks!

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #12,568 of 21,169
Thanks @DreamKing
 and @slambanna
!

Well I'm bidding on a pair of 560s on eBay for $550, if I get them for that, it'll be worth it to me. I think it sounds perfect for black metal and more avant-garde and drone music. For those genres I appreciate treble energy and more air, even if it does get a bit grainy or piercing with some albums. I just feel the HE-400 is too veiled on some BM albums, I want more cut and aggression. The LCD-Xs seem to be my ideal headphone for everything else, I'm just concerned about comfort. My HE-400 is fine for me but the Xs are even heavier. I'd like to eventually have both in my collection. Also my car may need some more costly repairs, leaving the already large stretch to afford the LCD-Xs a bit unrealistic.

My plan for the time being is trying to find a good deal on the 560s or maybe the 400i and wait and see what Audeze does to update their models in the coming year or two. Even if they don't update anything, I'm sure the X's will still be around. Is this a good idea or are the 560s just completely wrong for me and I should just save for the X now? I'm not very experienced with how these different models sound so all of your advice is not taken lightly. Thanks!

Just get the 560's and don't look back. Your ears will thank you.

Apr 7, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #12,569 of 21,169
Just get the 560's and don't look back. Your ears will thank you.

Well unfortunately I was outbid on eBay and my car repair cost $850 so the immediate purchase of them is off the table for a couple months but I do think the 560 will be my next headphone. As from all the impressions I gathered could be end-game for me with a good chunk of genres I listen to. I'll just use my 400s for genres where I like more bass body, for the time being.

Apr 7, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #12,570 of 21,169
I just got mine and I have to say these things are fantastic.  They're beautiful, they sound fantastic, and they're very comfortable.  Going to finally get rid of that uncomfortable mess that was my LCD-2s.

I still have some EL-8s and some Beyerdynamic T1s coming in for testing, but I'm liking these a lot.  They sound great with my schiit lyr.  I'll see how they sound with the Phonitor Mini and its matrix features.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back