= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jan 16, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #11,146 of 21,179
  Jerg has obviously spent a great deal of time and energy into this. He also has a talent for this, not everyone does. I believe that even Jerg has mentioned that mods have limits.

I believe @jerg said he had a second round of enhancements for the HE-560s.  He's been oddly quiet about that lately, unless I missed it.

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:43 PM Post #11,148 of 21,179
  Either it's taking more time and effort or he has a new GF.

If the former, fine.  If the latter, I'll have to call his mother 
wink.gif

Not that I'm willing to undo my HE-560 mods.  I'm hard pressed to imagination what else can be done, but then he's the Master Modder.

Jan 16, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #11,149 of 21,179
@StanD , I did the Grill and Pad Mod, not sure I trust my modding skills with going further, plus there seems to a little debate on the material to use dampening. @ThurstonX, you used a different shelf liner than Jerg, any thoughts on how they compare? Have you kept all of the mods you did? I am a little worried about reducing the table energy too much..

Jan 16, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #11,150 of 21,179
  @StanD , I did the Grill and Pad Mod, not sure I trust my modding skills with going further, plus there seems to a little debate on the material to use dampening. @ThurstonX, you used a different shelf liner than Jerg, any thoughts on how they compare? Have you kept all of the mods you did? I am a little worried about reducing the table energy too much..

Nope, I used the same.  I clicked his link, added to the cart and checked out.  Someone in the Enhancements thread bought, or was going to buy, something different.  And someone had some white liner he thought was different, but which has the same pattern.  All that, IIRC, except me buying the same stuff jerg used.  Of that, I am sure.

All that said, I noticed no deleterious effects of the shelf liner.

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:28 PM Post #11,151 of 21,179
  Either it's taking more time and effort or he has a new GF.

Busy with work lol. The tweaks to the initial mod are long done, just haven't had the time or motivation to write it up into the post.

I mean for the few of you who are super hardcore at modding and really want at it, I can at least let you know that you'll need 1) a pair of Focus-A pads (yes, I went back to those in the end), 2) some blue-tack putty, or kneadable eraser, either will work, and 3) some spare shelf-liners and creatology foam sheets left over from doing the v1 mod.

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #11,152 of 21,179
  Busy with work lol. The tweaks to the initial mod are long done, just haven't had the time or motivation to write it up into the post.

I mean for the few of you who are super hardcore at modding and really want at it, I can at least let you know that you'll need 1) a pair of Focus-A pads (yes, I went back to those in the end), 2) some blue-tack putty, or kneadable eraser, either will work, and 3) some spare shelf-liners and creatology foam sheets left over from doing the v1 mod.

What? No endangered species of wood from the Amazon jungle? No unobtanium?

Jan 16, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #11,153 of 21,179

Thanks for the tease
tongue.gif
  Being satisfied with my DIY pads, I'll be skipping that, but now I'll be wondering about the other stuff, assuming it's not related to the pads.  Knowing how much effort it takes to write it all up properly, I'll be patient.

Jan 16, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #11,154 of 21,179

Well, HifiMan certainly listened to 'Jerg' and his pad modding.  Jerg most definitely made HifiMan's headphones sound better than they could and their Focus pads are a direct result of Jerg's research and development.

Jerg has obviously spent a great deal of time and energy into this. He also has a talent for this, not everyone does. I believe that even Jerg has mentioned that mods have limits.
Of course mods have their limits but ultimately the headphones have limits and good mods are our informed and educated path to squeeze the last drops of performance out of these structures

Jan 16, 2015 at 8:22 PM Post #11,155 of 21,179
Of course mods have their limits but ultimately the headphones have limits and good mods are our informed and educated path to squeeze the last drops of performance out of these structures

Some people act like these are revolutionary, rather than as you say, "squeeze the last drops of performance out of these structures."

Jan 17, 2015 at 2:36 AM Post #11,156 of 21,179
But then of course there is a middle ground, between over-exaggeration and stubborn skepticism. I would say Jerg's mods, in terms of my HE-500s (I do not own the 560s), have improved my experience of my headphones. That is, I think his mods have made my headphones better. I did not say they were revolutionary changes. But I did experience an improvement significant enough to merit the effort. 

Jan 17, 2015 at 4:29 AM Post #11,157 of 21,179

Jerg is a champion hands down! I have his (light) fuzzer and regrilling mod on my HE6 and together with the vegan pads makes them sound so much better than the stock IMO.

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #11,158 of 21,179
  But then of course there is a middle ground, between over-exaggeration and stubborn skepticism. I would say Jerg's mods, in terms of my HE-500s (I do not own the 560s), have improved my experience of my headphones. That is, I think his mods have made my headphones better. I did not say they were revolutionary changes. But I did experience an improvement significant enough to merit the effort. 

I'm not a sceptic but temper expectations. It's just that some folks like to play this as "revolutionary" or out of this world and get many people overexcited. The word signifcant can be interpreted differently based upon context, you seem to be clear as to your meaning.

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:26 AM Post #11,159 of 21,179
I'm not a sceptic but temper expectations. It's just that some folks like to play this as "revolutionary" or out of this world and get many people overexcited. The word signifcant can be interpreted differently based upon context, you seem to be clear as to your meaning.

+1. alotta things get overexaggerated around here. good to keepp expectations in check when performing mods.

Jan 17, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #11,160 of 21,179

+1. alotta things get overexaggerated around here. good to keepp expectations in check when performing mods.

That's probably why Thurston keeps to reversible mods. Maybe sometimes the outcome might not even be desirable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back