= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Oct 14, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #9,092 of 21,171

Swipers, sorry Man, just tired of hearing the same lame objectivist crap (I am assuming you meant "out")

No need to apologize to me.

I guess I wrote 'our' because I really do think that as a community, we have both a great opportunity and a responsibility.  We're writing about  are arguably some of the most amazing headphones ever made, especially when looking at price.  We all have different opinions and experience, and it's up to us to keep it open and vital. For me, that means no personal attacks.  Ever.

For the record, I'm an objectivist.  But my degree happens to me in psychology, as will my graduate work.  I love the awesome power of the Magni when driving the 560's, and in a blind test I'm pretty confident that I could not tell the difference with a TOTL solid state amp of comparable power.

BUT, I also know that I experience things more enjoyably when I love the look/feel/build of state-of-the-art gear.  I don't care if I 'hear' a difference or not, I feel a difference.  And when I feel that difference, that's when the magic happens.  I just happen to feel the magic with fundamental objectivist principles at the moment.

Science is actually pretty fun.  And saves me money- which makes my wallet happy.

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #9,093 of 21,171
MAN I'm having a blast listening to my current state of HE560 mods. This is the first time I've been consistently wow'd since a very long time.

Alright back to writing 
ph34r.gif

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #9,094 of 21,171
And to think I've always thought Margo Timmins was singing to me specifically....

(Sniff, sniff)

She is, Mike, she really is...................................................
rolleyes.gif

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #9,095 of 21,171

Remember stamps, great place for you, now run along..... 

Yes concluding a discussion with an insult is not the sign of either mental acuity, knowledge, nor wisdom.
Completely out of line, and brings nothing to the discussion. Linebacker mentality? Nope, I know a few and they are some of the nicest folks you could meet, and thoughtful...

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #9,097 of 21,171

. . . I love high power gear, and the fact that my practice bass rig is a 1500-watt Crown power amp going into a 4-Ohm cab with 2 12's in it should give me cred in the overkill department.  I can cause structural damage when I hit my low B at 120 dB. . . . 

Nice one.  I also have a low B and, with convincing objectivity, I can rebut all those people who say the HD800 is weak in low end.   Do you ever play through the 560 ?  How does it handle that rumble ?  

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #9,098 of 21,171
  Yes concluding a discussion with an insult is not the sign of either mental acuity, knowledge, nor wisdom.
Completely out of line, and brings nothing to the discussion. Linebacker mentality? Nope, I know a few and they are some of the nicest folks you could meet, and thoughtful..

OK, I apologized, if that's not enough for you, please let me know.

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:36 PM Post #9,099 of 21,171
  To my ears and with my equipment, The 560 is  a tonally more consistent headphone than the 6 was.
Not saying better refinement/micro-detail/etc., but I just find it better balanced with less bright/less prone to harshness treble, for instance.
IMO. 
biggrin.gif
 I am just liking the 560 a lot better than I liked the 6 when I had them... Maybe my preferences have matured a bit since then but 'tis I do not know 
rolleyes.gif
 [and the scale of which I doubt
cool.gif
]

Don't say that with preproman around.  He'll just say you aren't giving enough wattage to the HE-6.

Ha ha ha..
biggrin.gif

Luke and I came a long way in his journey.  I'm glad he found his preference.  He's correct, the 560 is a more consistent headphone - I agree.  The HE-6 will have you trying out every headphone and speaker around to find a good match.

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #9,100 of 21,171
  MAN I'm having a blast listening to my current state of HE560 mods. This is the first time I've been consistently wow'd since a very long time.

Alright back to writing 
ph34r.gif

You're such a tease 
tongue.gif
  I just hope I don't need a BS in EE to do them, once you publish.  I guess we'll be doing the peer reviews 
wink.gif

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:41 PM Post #9,101 of 21,171
  OK, Stan, per your responses to Preporman, 1W=120 DB, my Lyr 2 is what 6W, and we figured the Belles to be 9W, my iDSD Nano, 600MW, sounds lifeless, compressed dynamics, no depth, fuzzy, and wooly. Now the Lyr 2 versus the Belles, the later has a tighter grip on the bass, tonally similar, maybe a bit of a nod to the Lyr for more body. I think that you should add a bit more juice to the StanDyamp, with a bigger power supply, compare to the StanDyamp Mi
very_evil_smiley.gif
nor, I am confident that you find absolute power to be absolutely corrupting!!!!!!!!!!!!
evil_smiley.gif

Actually I find my Asgard 2 to be surprisingly fantastic. Perhaps you are not ware but Jason and Mike at Schiit are pioneers in the Audio field. Jason has designed and some of the early amps  and Mike is a pioneer in DAC design. They have great experience just because they are putting out affordable products made in the USA doesn't mean that overpriced schiit is any better. If you understand EE you would be mazed at how well the Asgard 2 is designed. They also spend a lot of time on the bench listening and evaluating before a product hits the streets.
Also, you shouldn't mock your fellow Headfiers, reference to "StanDyamp Mi
very_evil_smiley.gif
nor" That is not nice. 

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #9,102 of 21,171

I just hope I don't need a BS in EE

Thurston,

God no, don't go over to the Dark Side, you don't belong with the soul sucking parasites..............
ph34r.gif

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:56 PM Post #9,103 of 21,171
  Thurston,

God no, don't go over to the Dark Side, you don't belong with the soul sucking parasites..............
ph34r.gif

LOL, I've little aptitude, so no worries.  I do enjoy trying to understand it and grasping some concepts here and there, but no, no amp designing for me.  But I've great respect for EEs.  I try to take a balanced approach, and compartmentalize my quest for knowledge and the pleasure of forgetting about all that and just enjoying some music.

I recently got a pair of K712s.  Definitely not for me.  After less than a week, they're for sale.  Tried modding, pad swapping, EQing... pih!  Then after an extended break I put on the HE-560s.  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... They really are fantastic cans.  Worth every penny as far as I'm concerned.

Mrs. Howell is calling.  Later 
beerchug.gif

Oct 14, 2014 at 8:02 PM Post #9,104 of 21,171
  No need to apologize to me.

I guess I wrote 'our' because I really do think that as a community, we have both a great opportunity and a responsibility.  We're writing about  are arguably some of the most amazing headphones ever made, especially when looking at price.  We all have different opinions and experience, and it's up to us to keep it open and vital. For me, that means no personal attacks.  Ever.

For the record, I'm an objectivist.  But my degree happens to me in psychology, as will my graduate work.  I love the awesome power of the Magni when driving the 560's, and in a blind test I'm pretty confident that I could not tell the difference with a TOTL solid state amp of comparable power.

BUT, I also know that I experience things more enjoyably when I love the look/feel/build of state-of-the-art gear.  I don't care if I 'hear' a difference or not, I feel a difference.  And when I feel that difference, that's when the magic happens.  I just happen to feel the magic with fundamental objectivist principles at the moment.

Science is actually pretty fun.  And saves me money- which makes my wallet happy.

Actually, I am a Scientist, in Health Care, our educations are very similar. Though am keenly aware of the limits of science's, and grow angry at those who treat it as a religion, following just as blindly as Jihadists. Telling other's what they see, hear, to believe and to dismiss. When you have passed through a new objectivist Guru every decade, they became very droll.

Oct 14, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #9,105 of 21,171
  Actually I find my Asgard 2 to be surprisingly fantastic. Perhaps you are not ware but Jason and Mike at Schiit are pioneers in the Audio field. Jason has designed and some of the early amps  and Mike is a pioneer in DAC design. They have great experience just because they are putting out affordable products made in the USA doesn't mean that overpriced schiit is any better. If you understand EE you would be mazed at how well the Asgard 2 is designed. They also spend a lot of time on the bench listening and evaluating before a product hits the streets.
Also, you shouldn't mock your fellow Headfiers, reference to "StanDyamp Mi
very_evil_smiley.gif
nor" That is not nice. 

No, you misunderstand, the StanDyamp is the high power, 10W into 50Ohm amp, the StanDyamp Minor only puts out 1000MW/1W at 50ohms, truly, no insult intended.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back