= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Sep 3, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #7,831 of 21,171
I think the other idea, the one I've tried by taking the fabric out of the Focus-A pads is hitting that middle ground but perhaps in the opposite way.  I find that vocals or whatever the dominant melodic instrument is at the time, is often very close in the sound field, like right in front of my face or even right in the middle of my head.  However, there are many sounds that are also far off in the distance.  For me, I think that the grille mod emphasizes that separation too much, making those details even further away from the center image. (I tried taking the grilles off completely and found this before the pad mod).
By taking the fabric out of the Focus-A pads, I got that significant boost in clarity and more precise imaging but I didn't push those sounds further away.  

I still haven't tried taking the grilles off with the fabric gone, nor have I cut the fabric out of the Focus pads....  I guess I pretty much have to now.

A big change though too is the upgraded cable I added so others' experiences would still likely vary from mine.

I'll be waiting :)

Sep 3, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #7,832 of 21,171
I think the focus-A pads + grill mods synergize well in terms of presenting a very open and effortless sound signature.

Focus pads + regular grills or even more closed grills will give a slightly more energetic and detail-heavy presentation, which may be your preference.
I think everyone is late to realize that both the grill mod & taking felt out of pad is best details combo...

side note is that the BASS is now always present and does not "hide" like before with the felt taken off the pad...

Sep 3, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #7,833 of 21,171
Could anyone try the Focus pads without the protective dust/felt please? Best in combination with the grill mod. Thank you...

EDIT: Ooooops, I think a pair of scissors accidentally fell on the Focus pads, piercing a hole in the middle... Now there's no other way but to cut that dust filter out... Accidents happen every day 
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #7,834 of 21,171
Also of note is that I do not prefer total open grill mod as some nuances seem to escape and go out rear instead of the front.

I blame this on fact that the driver has too much covering in front with pad felt and so more damped in front it shoots out rear.
I also blame the bass inconsistency in past due to the thicker covering on front.

To get around this I prefer a thin felt under the grill mod and "Organza" felt does the trick to retain those nuances to a small extent in the trebles air..

Sep 3, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #7,835 of 21,171
Well modding phase complete.
I actually also ordered a pair of Focus pads in case the no-dust-shield ones are indeed too raw in sonic performance, I like them less or revert back to stock grilles.
Or I just need back up pads :D
HE-400i has reverted to stock configuration.

Sep 3, 2014 at 6:17 PM Post #7,836 of 21,171
Also of note is that I do not prefer total open grill mod as some nuances seem to escape and go out rear instead of the front.

I blame this on fact that the driver has too much covering in front with pad felt and so more damped in front it shoots out rear.
I also blame the bass inconsistency in past due to the thicker covering on front.

To get around this I prefer a thin felt under the grill mod and "Organza" felt does the trick to retain those nuances to a small extent in the trebles air..

Excellent points, and pretty much matches what I've heard and how I prefer it.  Not to be a fabric Nazi, but organza is not any sort of felt.  It's a very sheer fabric (think silk), whereas felt is wooly, synthetics included.  I used organza in my homemade pads.  At first they were totally open, but as they were going on the HE-500s, I wanted the protection.  I did try those pads on the HE-560s, but they really deflated the soundstage in comparison to my other pair.  It was an easy thing to do with spray adhesive.  Anyway, organza works well on both sides of the driver.

Sep 3, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #7,838 of 21,171
...Anyway, organza works well on both sides of the driver.

An excellent idea for the front driver if more dust protection needed.

Sep 3, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #7,839 of 21,171
An excellent idea for the front driver if more dust protection needed.

I meant I added organza to my homemade pads, so that provides the protection, but I suppose it could be added to the HE-500s as with the HE-560s.  I wonder if the felt from the fuzzor mod would get in the way?  Well, I may be crazy, but I'm not bothering with that one 
wink.gif

Sep 3, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #7,840 of 21,171
Is there any consensus on how much removing the protective felt on the pads helps/affects the HE-560?

Sep 4, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #7,842 of 21,171
Is there any consensus on how much removing the protective felt on the pads helps/affects the HE-560?

Easy test to take one pad and put it over your ear and make rubbing sound with your fingers next to it and then quickly remove while making sound you will notice more "air" removing pad and also that protective cloth seems to be limiting bass air movement as more bass is detected along with increased detailing perception.
Doing felt removal is not for squeamish as no going back and I would say you get another 5-10% improvement overall.
So if you do this mod and feel you still need protection you can use "Organza" material mentioned just glue on ring.

I guess I should mention that this improvement is a "do at your own risk" and I cannot be held liable for your mistakes as I warned you... lol.
Anyway It's easy

Sep 4, 2014 at 1:04 AM Post #7,844 of 21,171
  Draug 2 balanced on order... Very excited about this. Will post pics whenever Trevor can finish the cable. He's a busy man and rightfully so!

+1, they will hopefully be here prior to the Nashville Meet, looking forward to strapping the Draug 2 on!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back