= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 27, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #5,986 of 21,171
Guys who like pre-production are Audeze lovers and guys who like production are Grado lovers obviously.  
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #5,990 of 21,171
More truth than you know! Lol

ericr had a 560 as well with production pads setup next to me and listeners were able to switch between the two to make an impression.

Lesson here is if you like some warmth at times and like the reference sound as well just by switching pads, better grab some focus-a pads before they stop production or run out of stock. It's for sure that they will no longer make these pads right?
Guys who like pre-production are Audeze lovers and guys who like production are Grado lovers obviously.  :D

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #5,991 of 21,171
How did the like the 560s

There was a gent who preferred the 560s over the he6 just so you get an idea of how people took to them.

We had ours plugged to Project Embers and the pairing really is fantastic. Can't wait to hear them on Garage 1217's new solid state (Polaris).

Jul 27, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #5,992 of 21,171
What were the amp pairings (for the 560) like at the meet?
Soundsgoodtome: thanks for reporting on people's preferences for the pads, that's great info. (TMR: I know I'm totally on the Audeze end of the spectrum haha)

Jul 27, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #5,993 of 21,171
  I am using some Litz cables on the 560's right now, silver litz. Also using some E88CC Telefunken tubes in the Lyr 2. Excellent sounds. :^) 

Do you or anyone else also have Amperex Orange Globes for your Lyr 2 / 560 combo?

I really like the Oranges, but would like to know how they stack up with the E88CC Telefunken.

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:21 PM Post #5,994 of 21,171
  They screw in fine. But sound goes in and out if you move your head an inch or two. They just seem to have an extremely loose connection. Not a problem with the HE500, just these. Stock cable connects perfectly. Going to ask Trevor @ Norne tomorrow.

I may be able to help here. I have a Norse cable and used it with the 560. The problem for me was that the new housing around the connector makes it harder to get the nuts to cinch tight (it was hard enough already without the new housing. I have a very small pair of needlenose plier that allowed me to get a good grip on the connectors and tighten them down. I never had a single problem after that. 

Jul 27, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #5,996 of 21,171
I would stick by my original proposal that HFM should have switched connectors on the new models. There are several connectors out there that offer click it and forgot it...mini xlr (cough cough). 

Anyway, I will refrain from a derail here. @jerg...please let me know if you need me to loan you any tools. 
tongue.gif

Jul 27, 2014 at 9:01 PM Post #5,997 of 21,171
You guys and your tools...I think TMRaven and I are the only two people in this thread who have mastered the art of easily securing SMC connectors by hand.

Nope, I used my hands to put the cable onto the HE-560. Works fine. We'll see about the next cable.

Jul 27, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #5,998 of 21,171
  You guys and your tools...I think TMRaven and I are the only two people in this thread who have mastered the art of easily securing SMC connectors by hand.

+1.  I love the SMCs so much I made a few extra cables, just cuz.  Tools?  We don't need no stinkin' tools 
wink.gif

Jul 27, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #6,000 of 21,171
I have 8 cables with mini xlr's so I can interchange them will all of my headphones.  I have some wired direct to the drivers with 6 inch wires leading to the mini xlr's.  I have 3 six inch adapters from SMC to mini xlr's and 3 six inch adapters from Alpha Dog's to mini xlr's, hard to find a dead neutral wire.  Slight differences in sound can be achieved with different wire in these connectors.  But the SMC connectors are really easy to attach by hand to the HE560 because they can be rotated freely....just one solution for the SMC connectors on the HFM.  I have never had any problem with them, although they can be difficult to solder depending on the wire used!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back