= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 26, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #5,971 of 21,171
I'm getting a new cable. Why? Because the current one is too short for my needs. Other than that, I have no issues with the current cable. Of course the new cable could have silver in it. And have adapters for balanced, speaker tap, and single end. Or a lava lamp. I always wanted a lava lamp.

How about an included vibration relaxation chair also :D

Jul 26, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #5,972 of 21,171
I have no desire to discuss the effects or lack thereof of aftermarket cabling publicly. I've done that before and it's just too aggravating and leads to nothing but a pissing match.
I have no problem with the stock cable other than I want a balanced cable so it's not an issue of letting the sound settle or anything I just want to see if there are sonic benefits of going balanced on my amp.

Anyway, thanks to those who pm'ed me. I appreciate it.

Jul 26, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #5,973 of 21,171

You know, while I wouldn't get behind mega-buck cables I certainly can believe that modest improvements are possible and the price range you want to be in seems quite fair. My instincts tell me that there can be a difference in sound silver versus copper. I have read enough posts around here from very experienced members who are not at all on the cable bandwagon, in fact many of them seem to be just the opposite; however, there seems to a widely held acceptance that silver is brighter sounding than copper.

Any thread on head-fi that goes for over 300 pages eventually turns into the cable debate! Finally, just checked and my A18 has been released by customs and should be here by Tuesday. At last I will be able to use my 560s. I shouldn't celebrate too much as I haven't seen the customs charges yet, expecting about $75. Bastards.

Not to get into a cable debate, as that is for elsewhere, but . . . I started with silver back in the early nineties. I experimented quite a bit and sold cables in Stereophile and a few other places. I coined the term, "dead soft silver", as many were using a silver that was not dead soft and it sound horrible and could take a tremendous time to ever burn in, if it ever did. So silver got the reputation as bright, which it was but that is because the formula was wrong. Well done silver is not bright or dull or anything else, it just transmits the signal. It is the least resistive conductor used for all intents and purposes, with gold coming in after copper. For good cables, to my ear, I can hear a difference and the research and time that goes into good cables, not hyped off the shelf rebranded stuff, but from the ground up, is considerable and can entail just as much time and effort as designing a good circuit, which I have also done. Good headphones require a lot of work in R&D and so do good cables. 

I am using some Litz cables on the 560's right now, silver litz. Also using some E88CC Telefunken tubes in the Lyr 2. Excellent sounds. :^) 

Jul 26, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #5,974 of 21,171
FWIW Justin_Time's review (pg 1 of thread) covers some of the effects he found when using different cables. He tried some silver cables and copper cables, and compared it to the stock cable.
The 6moons review says stock cable = silver + copper.

Jul 26, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #5,977 of 21,171

I am using some Litz cables on the 560's right now, silver litz. Also using some E88CC Telefunken tubes in the Lyr 2. Excellent sounds. :^) 

Would love to hear more (in Lyr 2 rolling thread?) about Lyr2 pairings with the HE-560.

after selling off original Lyr (hum and inflexibility with other headphones) and HE-500,
now have the HE-560 and might jump back into Lyr2 waters eventually with some Ediswan tubes sitting here....
Lyr2 will depend on iFi micro iDSD testing this week, and if the Pulse Xfi ever ships.

Jul 26, 2014 at 7:25 PM Post #5,978 of 21,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Defender link

You know, while I wouldn't get behind mega-buck cables I certainly can believe that modest improvements are possible and the price range you want to be in seems quite fair. My instincts tell me that there can be a difference in sound silver versus copper. I have read enough posts around here from very experienced members who are not at all on the cable bandwagon, in fact many of them seem to be just the opposite; however, there seems to a widely held acceptance that silver is brighter sounding than copper.

Any thread on head-fi that goes for over 300 pages eventually turns into the cable debate! Finally, just checked and my A18 has been released by customs and should be here by Tuesday. At last I will be able to use my 560s. I shouldn't celebrate too much as I haven't seen the customs charges yet, expecting about $75. Bastards.

Not to get into a cable debate, as that is for elsewhere, but . . . I started with silver back in the early nineties. I experimented quite a bit and sold cables in Stereophile and a few other places. I coined the term, "dead soft silver", as many were using a silver that was not dead soft and it sound horrible and could take a tremendous time to ever burn in, if it ever did. So silver got the reputation as bright, which it was but that is because the formula was wrong. Well done silver is not bright or dull or anything else, it just transmits the signal. It is the least resistive conductor used for all intents and purposes, with gold coming in after copper. For good cables, to my ear, I can hear a difference and the research and time that goes into good cables, not hyped off the shelf rebranded stuff, but from the ground up, is considerable and can entail just as much time and effort as designing a good circuit, which I have also done. Good headphones require a lot of work in R&D and so do good cables. 

Is it DIY cable? Where you got silver Litz?

Jul 26, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #5,979 of 21,171

Couldn't help yourself, eh?

Man...  I guess asking this question is taboo or something.  I don't want to discuss whether cables make a difference or not 'cause frankly, if you can't hear the difference, I'm not interested in your opinion on pretty much anything in audio, be it amps or headphones.

So, if anyone has a good value for improvement choice for a balanced cable for these I would ask that you pm me lest the villagers get out the pitchforks and torches and burn you at the stake..
rolleyes.gif

I didn't answer you directly. You might try being polite.

Jul 26, 2014 at 8:28 PM Post #5,981 of 21,171
I didn't answer you directly. You might try being polite.

Seriously? Even your signature line is confrontational.

It's too bad that a discussion about these headphones can include questions about what amp pairs well with them but to mention cables gets peoples' knickers in a knot.
If you don't have anything actually constructive to add other than to belittle or ridicule then stay out of it.
I'm sure there are threads where one can spout off about the imaginary benefits of cables or tubes or whatever so why create that drama here. To many it's a valid discussion and I don't think we should have to tiptoe around the subject. Again, if you don't like it leave it alone. I think your comment is trying to incite argument and is uncalled for.
You left politeness at the door when you pressed submit.

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #5,982 of 21,171
Seriously? Even your signature line is confrontational.

It's too bad that a discussion about these headphones can include questions about what amp pairs well with them but to mention cables gets peoples' knickers in a knot.
If you don't have anything actually constructive to add other than to belittle or ridicule then stay out of it.
I'm sure there are threads where one can spout off about the imaginary benefits of cables or tubes or whatever so why create that drama here. To many it's a valid discussion and I don't think we should have to tiptoe around the subject. Again, if you don't like it leave it alone. I think your comment is trying to incite argument and is uncalled for.
You left politeness at the door when you pressed submit.

Again, read your own words with open eyes.

Jul 26, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #5,983 of 21,171
Has anybody listened to the HE560 with a Mad Ear +HD ?

Jul 27, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #5,984 of 21,171
  I'm thinking of getting a balanced cable to try that in my CEntrance and have seen DHC and Norne mentioned.

I think I would top out at $150-200 for one and would like to hear suggestions.  I don't want anything that will smooth out the sound but don't think I need the zingyness of silver either..

If anyone has had a positive experience with a cable, I'd like to hear it.  Those who don't think cables make any difference, I appreciate if you think you need to educate me on my gullibility but I'm okay with it, so please refrain. :)

I'm quite happy with the stock cable other than the length and the fact that it isn't quite as flexible as I'd like - my HD800 stock cable is much more flexible but also larger and heavier. I modified the stock cables on both my HD800 and my HE-560 and then made adapters so I can use either headphone in single-ended or balanced mode. It's really quite easy to do if you have some simple soldering skills. I was going to add some paracord to make them look prettier, but the paracord was back-ordered and still hasn't shown up. Shown below from top to bottom are:

4 pin female mini-XLR to Kobiconn Iris connector for RSA/ALO/Cypher Labs/Centrance
4 pin female mini-XLR to gold-plated, threaded 3.5mm with 6.3mm screw-on adapter
4 pin female mini-XLR to dual 3 pin male XLR
4 pin female mini-XLR to 4 pin male XLR
HE-560 with stock cable modded with 4 pin male mini-XLR
HD800 with stock cable modded with 4 pin male mini-XLR

Dale

Jul 27, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #5,985 of 21,171
After yesterday's Seattle meet, a good portion of the local guys got to try the 560s. Out of the 6 people I asked of preference between pre-production and production pads, it was an even split down the middle.

Out of the 15-20 people that tried it I think only one person complained about comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back