= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jul 10, 2014 at 11:18 AM Post #4,981 of 21,179
  I'll post some initial impressions: [headphone still burning in, brain burn in in progress as well]

- Comfort is top notch. Pads are breaking in well and although they seemed a bit small, my ears can tuck in nicely. One of the few headphones that fit me well. Along with the headband it is the best comfort I've experienced yet.
- Bass is excellent, impact is aplenty [depending on genre and song of course] when called for, extension is supreme and texture is mental... definitely trumps my K612 in all aspects, even in impact
- Midtange is neutral, not forward nor recessed, instruments sound very natural and life-like
- Vocals are amazing, no sibilance to speak of [very apparent in comparison with the K612], great presence to vocals
- Highs are extended and airy, with great presence but smoooth, no harshness to speak of, no excessive attention to cymbals and very little fatigue if any
- soundstage height, width and depth is great, it is more intimate than the AKG by a significant margin but the resulting sound is thus much more coherent and enveloping. great holography. The sheer size is on average side of things but this can be a pro as well, because it allows you to connect with the music much easier and "just listen".
- imaging is top notch and so is instrument separation, no problems here whatsoever. Layering is likewise excellent.
- sound is very detailed, easy to pick apart [more so than the AKGs IMO], I imagine there are even more detailed headphones ala HD800 or HE-6, but I am happy with amount I am getting. More details could be detracting or distracting...
- Decay is great, resulting in bass that is fast and accurate [I guess drier] sound, that still has a weight to it
- the sound is very dynamic, incredibly precise and coupled with the intimate, more "in your face" soundstage [compared to AKGs] and great detailing makes for a very involving and enjoyable listen, definitely not laid back, IMO.
- the headphone is very neutral and is in essence genre and track sensitive [meaning it for instance gauges bass differently for genres and tracks]
- even though people label these headphones as light and quick, I disagree, the K612 sound noticeably lighter to me. The 560 has a heavier, more weighty sound in comparison, but I guess still on the lighter side to most, not me.

The few negatives that could possibly be for some is neutral bass [not for me though - I think more bass would negatively affect my experience and mask subtler details].
There's still more and better bass than the K612 provide though... so I don't see myself asking for more.
HD800 lovers will not find that huge soundstage here, IMO but you'll get a much more musical and involving experience in return. In fact, this is the first time in a long time for me when I've just listened to the song without trying to consistently pick it apart... A good sign.
Lastly, the midrange could possibly be a hair more forward? I am just used to the K612 & MA900 forward midrange probably though, so.... I am not sure on this, nothing wrong with the mids per say, they're there and neutral, not recessed. The very detailed highs and bass is certain though.

Not a fan of the cable...

So lastly to confirm, I believe these outperform my former HE-6s setup for me. The HE-6 was brighter and a bit more detailed and refined on my former setup [a-100 + NFB 3.32] but the 560 wins now [Compass2] in tonal balance, musicality and imaging.

I am open to questions 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice impressions, you are restoring my faith in my instincts to be a first adopter with the 560! Typically I wait for about 6 months on the market before I take the plunge, but the 560s just sounded so yummy and I have always wanted to try the HFM signature. Mine are still in the US, but almost at the border so it looks like Monday for mine. Oh well, at least I am off on Monday and should be home to receive them! Can't wait to give these a listen.

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #4,982 of 21,179

Thanks for the reply. I won't be using a 650 with the A18, just the 560 with the Gungnir. I am beginning to think the A18 will be a great amp for the 560 as your experience seems to confirm. If the A18 has solid bass performance as reported this should work well with the articulate, yet perhaps slightly understated bass presentation of the 560. I am very much looking forward to the pairing. Have you had the chance to hear an Asgard 2? Recently I purchased one new and almost never use it as my NAD HP50 has such a short cable that I just can't be bothered. I did listen the other night and I was surprised how narrow the sound stage was with the Asgard/HP 50 combo. I need to keep in mind that I have been listening to my speaker rig extensively for the last 4 months and they image very well and with a decent listening size room I guess I have become spoiled with sound stage. That said, I couldn't help feeling the Asgard is quite narrow. I was wondering if anybody here has had that experience as for a few weeks I will be using the Asgard with my 560s until the A18 arrives.

Sorry, unfortunately I haven't heard the Asgard 2.  However, I didn't think the original Asgard had that narrow of soundstage.  I'm not sure how much different the 2 is.

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #4,983 of 21,179
Better bass is subjective. People can argue that the HD800 has the tightest, most articulated bass, but I'll still prefer something with modest bass and some bloom, like the M50x or Fidelio X1. I like a level of potency in bass, not necessarily meaning emphasized, but something like the HE-400, which to be honest is about my bare minimum/gold standard in terms of bass.

Exactly. In some tracks, even the HD600 gives me more bass, a lot more fun and satisfying than the HE-560. On some tracks, they're about equal in bass quantity. I wouldn't call HD600 a bass head headphone. But the HE-500 had significantly more bass than the HD600.

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #4,984 of 21,179
Suggestions on USB $500 DAC/AMP for the HE-560s? Listen to a lot of hip hop and sometimes alternative. I returned my Schiit Vali/Modi - looking for something else. Thanks. Used mostly for my Macbook Air, will not need a portable.

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #4,985 of 21,179
Exactly. In some tracks, even the HD600 gives me more bass, a lot more fun and satisfying than the HE-560. On some tracks, they're about equal in bass quantity. I wouldn't call HD600 a bass head headphone, it's pretty balanced.

HD600 empirically has a heck of a lot more harmonic distortion in mid-bass, so indeed bass quantity would be more, just not what you think it is.

Jul 10, 2014 at 12:59 PM Post #4,986 of 21,179
Thought I would pipe in with some build / comfort impressions, going to stay away from sound impressions until I have had a little more time to listen...

- The comfort factor is unbelievable and not getting enough love imo. Anyone who has owned an HE-500, 400, Audeze, etc will be blown away. The pads fit great, no pressure points from the headband, the clamping force is fine. My gold standard for comfort are my Fostex T50RP's modded with MrSpeakers Alpha Pads and leather strap, and the HE-560's are just as comfortable. 11/10 for comfort.

- The build quality is a little disappointing, especially at this price point. The gimbals had small scratches, the finish on the wood veneer is a bit rough in spots. The stitching on the pads is not great. For me sound >> comfort >>>>>>> build quality, so it is not the end of the world. But I imagine some people will be disappointed.

- The length of the cable is extremely disappointing. It's about 6.5 ft and way too short for my needs. Wished they had kept with the older 10 ft length for the cable.

- The box seems nice enough, but since it is just going to sit in my closet it seems like kind of a waste. If a cheaper made box would get us a longer cable, I would make that trade in a heartbeat. Or maybe include a travel case like Audeze, something that I would actually use.

All in all, I am very pleased so far. Will post sound impressions in the next day or so...

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #4,987 of 21,179
I'll post some initial impressions: [headphone still burning in, brain burn in in progress as well]

- Comfort is top notch. Pads are breaking in well and although they seemed a bit small, my ears can tuck in nicely. One of the few headphones that fit me well. Along with the headband it is the best comfort I've experienced yet.
- Bass is excellent, impact is aplenty [depending on genre and song of course] when called for, extension is supreme and texture is mental... definitely trumps my K612 in all aspects, even in impact
- Midtange is neutral, not forward nor recessed, instruments sound very natural and life-like
- Vocals are amazing, no sibilance to speak of [very apparent in comparison with the K612], great presence to vocals
- Highs are extended and airy, with great presence but smoooth, no harshness to speak of, no excessive attention to cymbals and very little fatigue if any
- soundstage height, width and depth is great, it is more intimate than the AKG by a significant margin but the resulting sound is thus much more coherent and enveloping. great holography. The sheer size is on average side of things but this can be a pro as well, because it allows you to connect with the music much easier and "just listen".
- imaging is top notch and so is instrument separation, no problems here whatsoever. Layering is likewise excellent.
- sound is very detailed, easy to pick apart [more so than the AKGs IMO], I imagine there are even more detailed headphones ala HD800 or HE-6, but I am happy with amount I am getting. More details could be detracting or distracting...
- Decay is great, resulting in bass that is fast and accurate [I guess drier] sound, that still has a weight to it
- the sound is very dynamic, incredibly precise and coupled with the intimate, more "in your face" soundstage [compared to AKGs] and great detailing makes for a very involving and enjoyable listen, definitely not laid back, IMO.
- the headphone is very neutral and is in essence genre and track sensitive [meaning it for instance gauges bass differently for genres and tracks]
- even though people label these headphones as light and quick, I disagree, the K612 sound noticeably lighter to me. The 560 has a heavier, more weighty sound in comparison, but I guess still on the lighter side to most, not me.

The few negatives that could possibly be for some is neutral bass [not for me though - I think more bass would negatively affect my experience and mask subtler details].
There's still more and better bass than the K612 provide though... so I don't see myself asking for more.
HD800 lovers will not find that huge soundstage here, IMO but you'll get a much more musical and involving experience in return. In fact, this is the first time in a long time for me when I've just listened to the song without trying to consistently pick it apart... A good sign.
Lastly, the midrange could possibly be a hair more forward? I am just used to the K612 & MA900 forward midrange probably though, so.... I am not sure on this, nothing wrong with the mids per say, they're there and neutral, not recessed. The very detailed highs and bass is certain though.

So lastly to confirm, I believe these outperform my former HE-6s setup for me. The HE-6 was brighter and a bit more detailed and refined on my former setup [a-100 + NFB 3.32] but the 560 wins now [Compass2] in tonal balance, musicality and imaging.

I am open to questions :)  

This review is so on point and I have to say I agree with everything so it's good to know I am not alone in this..
I used to write in more depth like you and so it is great to have members elaborate more..

One thing I like to add, is after now burning 70hrs and coming back to them,
I am also noticing an aspect to the bass... more "breath", and visceral impact, but only on specific songs..
So that tells me it is very accurate to source..
I am also noticing more body & depth in mids...
Woohoo!

- The length of the cable is extremely disappointing. It's about 6.5 ft and way too short for my needs. Wished they had kept with the older 10 ft length for the cable.

- The box seems nice enough, but since it is just going to sit in my closet it seems like kind of a waste. If a cheaper made box would get us a longer cable, I would make that trade in a heartbeat. Or maybe include a travel case like Audeze, something that I would actually use.

All in all, I am very pleased so far. Will post sound impressions in the next day or so...

I could not agree more with you on the cable..
I don't care about the "single crystal" composition,
It simply is TOO SHORT!!
Anyway I just ordered a balanced 4pin xlr cable so I won't have to deal with this. .
:p
Edit:
To me it seems like 5 feet :p

Jul 10, 2014 at 2:13 PM Post #4,988 of 21,179
Thanks for the cable info everyone.

Looks like I'll be using my BTG Audio, SPC midnight 8ft balanced cable + SE adapter to use with the HE-560 tonight.
best to leave the stock cable untouched and in the box for now as I'm unsure how long/if I'll be keeping the HE-560.

Jul 10, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #4,989 of 21,179
Just received my HE-560 from RazorDog! Some very brief impressions of the unboxing and first listen:

The box was a major disappointment. A slight scuff on one of the corners, not terrible but not good. The metal top was covered in a plastic wrap that was really hard to get off. It wasn't the peeled off kind of plastic either; it was wrapped in the plastic and goes behind the metal plate so I couldn't actually get it all off. Did anyone else have this experience? Plus there were some scratches on the metal too. I don't get why HiFiMAN went through the trouble of this box if the quality of it ends up like this. It would've been better if they spent the money on the box on the headphone/cable instead. Not that big a deal since I probably won't ever look at the box again lol.

Build of the HE-560 seems decent and fortunately I'm not noticing any weird issues with finish of the cups. Cable is a lot shorter than expected, but it's long enough for just listening at my desk so not a big deal.

Comfort is the best I've ever experienced with a full-sized headphone. I have Asian ears so there are absolutely no problems with the production pads. The velour tops of the earpads haven't felt itchy at all and overall the pads seem quite breathable in my hot room.

First impressions of sound are excellent! I definitely don't find the bass to be light at all, but this might be because I'm used to the signatures of the AD2000X and FAD Heaven V. The bass actually seems similar to my DITA The Answer, but even more linear and just as extended, if not more. Mids are beautiful, especially the female vocals. They sound airy and delicate, but at the same time have weight to them. I think some people have said that the mids seem pushed further away than on the HE-500, which I've never auditioned, but they seem just the right distance away to me. I like my mids forward, but if they were anymore forward than they are, it would be too much. Highs also extend very well, have just enough sparkle, and aren't fatiguing at all. These are my first experience with planar magnetics and I'm not experiencing any weirdness in the treble that people describe with other planars. Soundstage has good depth and is quite wide, noticeably wider than my AD2000X from what I remember.

Listening from a Geek Out 450 to a Project Ember with an Amperex E188CC / 7308 PQ.

I'm going to need a lot more time with these but loving them so far!

Jul 10, 2014 at 3:55 PM Post #4,990 of 21,179
  The box was a major disappointment. A slight scuff on one of the corners, not terrible but not good. The metal top was covered in a plastic wrap that was really hard to get off. It wasn't the peeled off kind of plastic either; it was wrapped in the plastic and goes behind the metal plate so I couldn't actually get it all off. Did anyone else have this experience?

I had the exact same experience with the plastic wrap and I couldn't get all of it off either...

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #4,991 of 21,179
Just got my HE-560. I've owned a HE-500 for a while and heard the HE-400 many times. Too early to give impressions right now, but one thing to be aware of is to volume match each headphone when comparing. My HE-560 driver impedance is about 45ohm while my HE-500 is about 25ohms. If I swap headphones to compare, the HE-500 will be getting more power (less measured resistance to be driven) and be louder. So my first impression was the HE-500 bass was much stronger until it was obvious the HE-500 was just louder overall. Once I volume matched things became more equal - I'll have to spend more than a few minutes comparing to give any more detailed impression than that.

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #4,992 of 21,179
My HE-560 measures at 38 and 39 ohms, which is close to the supposed 35 ohms impedance.
My box came out good and so did my headphone and pads, so I got lucky I guess...
My only nitpick so far is the soundstage being a bit on the smaller side overall, but I am starting to warm up to it + it is still a bit of the expansive kind at least 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:43 PM Post #4,993 of 21,179

I am open to questions 
smily_headphones1.gif

I just got mine in today and am giving them a first listen.  I second all of conquerator2's impressions, and can't hold a candle to his ability to describe sound.  One additional thing that immediately struck me is that these sound really excellent at low volume.  With my HD600's I find listening is remarkably less enjoyable at lower volume levels.  I am running this SE our of my audio-gd NFB10SE with no burn-in whatsoever.

Also, holy crap these are comfortable.

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #4,994 of 21,179

I just got mine in today and am giving them a first listen.  I second all of conquerator2's impressions, and can't hold a candle to his ability to describe sound.  One additional thing that immediately struck me is that these sound really excellent at low volume.  With my HD600's I find listening is remarkably less enjoyable at lower volume levels.  I am running this SE our of my audio-gd NFB10SE with no burn-in whatsoever.

Also, holy crap these are comfortable.

Thank you, glad you share my sentiments.
Yes, they're remarkably good at any listening level but they sound so good, I always have the urge to listen louder so I have to control it :D
The comfort is second to none so far. Out of all my full size headphones and those I've tried, these are on top! Roomy Comfy earpads, good clamp, soft and excellent headband! And the sound 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 10, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #4,995 of 21,179
  My HE-560 measures at 38 and 39 ohms, which is close to the supposed 35 ohms impedance.
My box came out good and so did my headphone and pads, so I got lucky I guess...
My only nitpick so far is the soundstage being a bit on the smaller side overall, but I am starting to warm up to it + it is still a bit of the expansive kind at least 
smily_headphones1.gif

Try your Audio GD C10 amplifier with them, maybe? 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back