= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jun 25, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #3,888 of 21,176
I find it quite interesting too.
Two years ago, when I started my hi-fi journey, I was into warm, bassy headphones but overtime, my preferences shifted toward brighter, clarity oriented, extended headphones.

I can certainly appreciate both but my primary headphone will almost certainly be a brighter can, while warmer ones will serve as the secondary one and that's how it is now.
So in time the 400i might find its way to me but that'll depend on many factors, such as how different they sound.

The general preference for warner headphones is certainly interesting... Different taste for different people.

My theory about warm headphones is that people like to turn up their music too loud, and sibilance close to the ears is harder to stand than sibilance from a loudspeaker. Reasons why there are many bright loudspeakers, dark headphones.

Also, some enthusiasts are getting older and can't hear the highs anyways! (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:31 PM Post #3,890 of 21,176
  Of course, you have the option to keep the v1 so keep the one you prefer!!

I'm curious as to what amp and source you are using to drive the 560. Did you do any burn in prior to coming to this conclusion?

My system Ayre C5-exMp or Yulong DA8 to Little Dot MK VI+.

I burn in the new 560 on 12+ hours, but nothing changes. I have the old 560 for more than a month, and the sound didn't change at all. I don't believe the burning theory.

Only "Brain burn!"
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:34 PM Post #3,891 of 21,176
These are planar magnetics, and don't leak per say like other open dynamic headphones.  The planar magnetic diaphragm emits sound equally both into the ear and outward to the back of the grill.  In that sense they do not leak, but they project sound outwards, and they do it equally as much as any other open planar I've heard (with the exception of the PM-1 because that might as well be a closed headphone.)

So if I were to put it into 3 tiers of 'leakage,' it would be:

closed headphones
open headphones
open planar magnetics

In that sense, there's nothing wrong and nothing needing to be addressed here.

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #3,892 of 21,176
My theory about warm headphones is that people like to turn up their music too loud, and sibilance close to the ears is harder to stand than sibilance from a loudspeaker. Reasons why there are many bright loudspeakers, dark headphones.

Also, some enthusiasts are getting older and can't hear the highs anyways! (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

I agree
I think it is also very hard to tune a headphone to have great extension in the treble with little to no sibilance.
Many headphones with good extension suffer from extensive sibilance IMO.
Going the warmer "more consumer friendly" way is certainly easier - ala PM1, LCD2, etc.

But from your impressions, I assumed both 400i and 560 are extraordinarily headphones. Both are rather neutral and similar, the 400i having a bit more body in the low and mid and sacrificing a bit of the highs to tilt it slightly to a warmer neutrality, while the 560 is neutral, perhaps slightly bright, sacrificing a bit of bass and mid body for high extension [having perhaps a smidge more clarity and slightly better imaging/perceived soundstage thanks to it]

Jun 25, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #3,893 of 21,176
I have been following this thread waiting for Razordog to get them in as I have pre-ordered.  Now with the end in sight, I'm wondering about amping.

I have to run with a portable set-up, not for outside but because I work from home and need to be mobile (I have a couple different workshops as a knife/sword/sheath maker)

Currently I have a Fostex HP-P1 and an ALO Continental that I was thinking of paring with one of the original CLAS's (with extra output).
Or selling everything and getting a Centrance HiFi-M8.  

The Fostex is definitely on the way out anyway...

I really like the sound of the Continental/CLAS combo...  Is the Centrance much better or a much better match?

Jun 25, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #3,894 of 21,176
  I hope they don't "burn in". I think that would mean very poorly designed driver. High quality headphones should never audibly change. I listened to me HE-560 for about 30 hours so far and luckily they sound exactly the same as when I plugged them in for the first time. However for subjective comparison it is necessary to listen to both headphone for similar amount of time, as with more time their flaws become more apparent.

Disagree here.  But I also have found that burn in is applicable to moving parts in diaphragms.  There are none in the orthodynamic cans, so It is a little confusing.  But if fang says its the case, it would be wise to listen.

If, these leak as bad hf7000  claims, why aren't  people addressing  this? 

these are essentially open headphones.  I don't know why you would think they wouldn't leak.
  Someone can tell me if the treble of the HE-560 is sparkly as the HE-500 ? Because the treble of the HE-500 hurts a lot my ears, i really don't like them.

If anyone is a fan of the 500 treble, they will find the 560 bright without question. In fact they would find the he6 horrible.  most of the ortho's before now have been DARK, and its what some like.  Thats cool, but all the ortho's needed more high extension if they were to be considered balanced in any way.  This is why Electrostats are amazing.  They have effortless grain free highs, and amazing lush mids.  Bass is usually the only area people complain about.  and the highest end stats have that.

MY perfect headphone has stat highs and mids, and ortho bass.  

While I did hear the new hifimans at the chicago meet this weekend, it was just so noisy in there, that I don't dare make a true final assumption.  I will say that I thought the 400i had a bit of the covered upper mids that I don't like in the 500s.  So they are likely not for me.  But those who like the 500 will probably really dig it.

I personally thought the 560 was excellent, and I will be looking into a way to give it more head time to make a final decision.  I drove it Balanced with my RSA lighting, which was designed for the orthodynamic cans.  It was quite an excellent pairing, even under meet conditions.  I did not find the highs annoying, or piercing.  It is mellower then the HE6, but also has a different overall presentation.  

Jun 25, 2014 at 4:16 PM Post #3,896 of 21,176
Regular speakers I can sorta understand the principle of burn-in, as it could possibly loosen the rubber surrounds of the cones.  With planar magnetics, however, I thought you designed with a specific amount of tension in mind, and anything that breaks that tension up could lead to undesirable sound (see Audeze and their whole inconsistency ordeal with driver tensioning.)

Either way, not one headphone I've ever had has changed sound drastically enough with burn-in.  It shouldn't take 150 hours either.

Jun 25, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #3,897 of 21,176
I kind of feel that manufacturers should include burn in into the production process if they truly believe that it allows the headphone to sound the way it should

Jun 25, 2014 at 4:31 PM Post #3,898 of 21,176
I kind of feel that manufacturers should include burn in into the production process if they truly believe that it allows the headphone to sound the way it should
This I agree with!!!!!!

Jun 25, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #3,899 of 21,176
I am in the camp that thinks it's mostly brain burn in...
Unless the headphone you used previously is made by the same manufacturer or is really similar to your new phone, the adjustment will take a while. It takes me anywhere from a few minutes to a bunch of hours to adjust to a new or different headphones.

There were times when I thought a headphone changed slightly but I am almost certain it was my brain adjusting from listening to other headphones or speakers.

With equipment, there is some burn in I suppose but one should again factor in brain adjustments.

Jun 25, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #3,900 of 21,176

Well that will increase the manufacturing cost since they need time and labour to "burn-in" the headphones.
Manufacturers might want their customers to experience the "burn-in"/"head-burn" effect as a fun part of their headphone honeymoon experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back