= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jun 25, 2014 at 11:23 AM Post #3,872 of 21,176
I have to second Dr. Fang's notion.
Let them burn in first and post a bit about them.

Some of us are still waiting for their headphones. Namely, all those who preordered at a dealer.

Jun 25, 2014 at 11:25 AM Post #3,873 of 21,176
All of us are well aware of that 
tongue.gif

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #3,876 of 21,176

Some of us are still waiting for their headphones. Namely, all those who preordered at a dealer.

+3. Manual says they need a burn in of 150 hours; that's a little over 6 days straight. I don't think there's been enough time to build a consensus yet. I just got mine yesterday, so I'm holding judgment. 

I know many pooh-pooh the idea of burn in ("meh"), but if it's the manufacturer's recommendation, it should be taken into consideration.

Very interested to hear what jerg's findings are!!

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:29 PM Post #3,877 of 21,176
I hope they don't "burn in". I think that would mean very poorly designed driver. High quality headphones should never audibly change. I listened to me HE-560 for about 30 hours so far and luckily they sound exactly the same as when I plugged them in for the first time. However for subjective comparison it is necessary to listen to both headphone for similar amount of time, as with more time their flaws become more apparent.

Jun 25, 2014 at 12:34 PM Post #3,878 of 21,176
Jun 25, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #3,879 of 21,176

+3. Manual says they need a burn in of 150 hours; that's a little over 6 days straight. I don't think there's been enough time to build a consensus yet. I just got mine yesterday, so I'm holding judgment. 

I know many pooh-pooh the idea of burn in ("meh"), but if it's the manufacturer's recommendation, it should be taken into consideration.

Very interested to hear what jerg's findings are!!

Then it will be 150 hours after he receives them, maybe a couple of weeks before we hear his impressions!

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #3,881 of 21,176
My wife and I don't like the production HE-560. The high is too bright; the mid is too aggressive.
We prefer the pre-production one. It is much more neutral plus the bass is better.

I like it less for these reasons too. It seems to sound a little less detailed because of them more forward, aggressive sound. The bass quanrity is also just a wee bit less which annoys me. I'm hoping this changes with burn in!

Jun 25, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #3,882 of 21,176
  My wife and I don't like the production HE-560. The high is too bright; the mid is too aggressive.
We prefer the pre-production one. It is much more neutral plus the bass is better.

Of course, you have the option to keep the v1 so keep the one you prefer!!

I'm curious as to what amp and source you are using to drive the 560. Did you do any burn in prior to coming to this conclusion?

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #3,884 of 21,176
It's interesting how burn-in, long accepted by the speaker community is still so debated here. Needless to say, mechanical systems do benefit from some loosening up. It's interesting to me that many find this headphone too bright. I think many will like the 400i

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #3,885 of 21,176
It's interesting how burn-in, long accepted by the speaker community is still so debated here. Needless to say, mechanical systems do benefit from some loosening up. It's interesting to me that many find this headphone too bright. I think many will like the 400i

I find it quite interesting too.
Two years ago, when I started my hi-fi journey, I was into warm, bassy headphones but overtime, my preferences shifted toward brighter, clarity oriented, extended headphones.

I can certainly appreciate both but my primary headphone will almost certainly be a brighter can, while warmer ones will serve as the secondary one and that's how it is now.
So in time the 400i might find its way to me but that'll depend on many factors, such as how different they sound.

The general preference for warner headphones is certainly interesting... Different taste for different people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back