= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jun 23, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #3,706 of 21,171
  I was under the impression that the changes with the final production model would bring slightly more bass via Jerg's suggestions? Maybe I read that wrong. 

I couldn't say for sure - Like I said the pre-production had more "perceived" bass, but it sounded like it was just a tad warmer than the revised model. So perhaps they're the same or even the new one has more. The pre-production felt just a little fatter in the bass, perhaps? and the new one maybe with just a little more perceived clarity. It wasn't a huge change, but the revised one sounded ever so slightly clearer to my ears (and I tried both the new ones HiFiMan had there)
Like I said, the differences were not night-and-day, but I imagine anyone chasing that thicker signature would be happier with the 400i anyways. YMMV.

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #3,707 of 21,171
Did you receive a tracking number when they shipped the headphone over? I haven't receive any tracking number or info from hifiman so I'm not sure if I should just wait or email them

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #3,708 of 21,171

I was under the impression that the changes with the final production model would bring slightly more bass via Jerg's suggestions? Maybe I read that wrong. 

I couldn't say for sure - Like I said the pre-production had more "perceived" bass, but it sounded like it was just a tad warmer than the revised model. So perhaps they're the same or even the new one has more. The pre-production felt just a little fatter in the bass, perhaps? and the new one maybe with just a little more perceived clarity. It wasn't a huge change, but the revised one sounded ever so slightly clearer to my ears (and I tried both the new ones HiFiMan had there)
Like I said, the differences were not night-and-day, but I imagine anyone chasing that thicker signature would be happier with the 400i anyways. YMMV.

Were the ear pads on both the exact same material?  I thought someone posted that the construction was the same, but the backing material was different....maybe affecting the sound slightly?

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #3,709 of 21,171

Were the ear pads on both the exact same material?  I thought someone posted that the construction was the same, but the backing material was different....maybe affecting the sound slightly?

I asked the owner of the pre-production model about something HiFiMan had said about changing something on the baffle/grill/damping? (can't find that exact comment right now, but I remember someone saying something to that effect) The leather was slightly different on the two models. As noted, perforated versus meshy. I think the perforated would probably be cooler in the long run, but both felt super comfy, and they were quite similar.

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:28 AM Post #3,710 of 21,171

I asked the owner of the pre-production model about something HiFiMan had said about changing something on the baffle/grill/damping? (can't find that exact comment right now, but I remember someone saying something to that effect) The leather was slightly different on the two models. As noted, perforated versus meshy. I think the perforated would probably be cooler in the long run, but both felt super comfy, and they were quite similar.

Weren't the cables different on the preorder version vs the new release?  Another variable that can slightly affect the sound!

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #3,711 of 21,171

Weren't the cables different on the preorder version vs the new release?  Another variable that can slightly affect the sound!

I think so? They were visually similar (man I never realized how much those screw-in connectors suck! hahahaha) but I did hear about them being different. I didn't ask though, and there was so much speculation flying around that even the HiFiMan reps weren't 100% on what was what and who said what.
In the end you're still getting a 560, they were like very slightly different flavors. If you liked one though, you'd probably still like the other.

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #3,712 of 21,171
Seems as though the biggest difference between the pre-order and production models is that the pre-order version has a warmer midrange. 

The new pads on the production model have slightly larger openings with stiffer cushioning.  The swivel on the yokes is stiffer as well.

I don't care much for the braided cable.  I prefer the rubber one.

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #3,713 of 21,171
  Seems as though the biggest difference between the pre-order and production models is that the pre-order version has a warmer midrange. 

The new pads on the production model have slightly larger openings with stiffer cushioning.  The swivel on the yokes is stiffer as well.

I don't care much for the braided cable.  I prefer the rubber one.

Can you post a few pics with the cable included?

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #3,714 of 21,171
It's basically the same as the rubber cable but it has a nylon-esque sleeving on it instead of rubber.  It's also less thick.

I took the pads off both versions, and the stiffness of the pads seem to be the same when just feeling them separately.  The baffle construction and damping looks to be the exact same on both models.

Pics later on.

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #3,715 of 21,171
  It's basically the same as the rubber cable but it has a nylon-esque sleeving on it instead of rubber.  It's also less thick.

I took the pads off both versions, and the stiffness of the pads seem to be the same when just feeling them separately.  The baffle construction and damping looks to be the exact same on both models.

Pics later on.

Are you thinking of purchasing or checking out the HE400i?

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:33 AM Post #3,717 of 21,171
HFM trolled us with the damping? -_-
On a serious note, as many differences as you can find, posted. Would be welcome! :)

Jun 23, 2014 at 11:45 AM Post #3,720 of 21,171

Pics later on.

It was said by Hifiman the new cable was OCC, and the sound more musical than the OFC cable on the preorder version!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back