= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jun 23, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #3,691 of 21,175
  Just received mine. Couple quick observations. The pads look MUCH better. The stitching is great now and they are back to different pads for each ear. The woodies had the exact same pad on each and it simply looked stupid. The inside is also different. The new ones use perforated leather instead of the fabric mesh on the old one. No complaints about the wood veneer. Overall it looks like a quality headphone. Even the yokes look better (on my teak version the yokes had visible molding seams)

Box and cable are also much better. The foam setup is different and the headphones rest on their sides instead of the cups being flat. The box also seems a bit smaller?

Take this one with a grain of salt (I've had them for an hour), but the sound so far is indeed a bit different. To me bass was immediately less present. I suspect this could be completely because of the earpads, since I have been wearing mine pretty much 10 hours per day since I got them and they look a bit thinner\squished already. I will listen some more after work and play around with the pads to see if its all in my head. Now people don't panic this was 1h of extremely unscientific testing.

Very curious to read the other people's impressions though...

Edit: Added some pictures

Actually, the lighter bass body works in tandem with my impressions of the 560, I think the housing redesign had something to do with that :wink:  Personally, I prefer it, though many may not.  Not that it was a bad thing, but the original 560 had a midrange that was a little thicker than I'd want it :p  The more controlled bass helped that a bit :)

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #3,692 of 21,175

Actually, the lighter bass body works in tandem with my impressions of the 560, I think the housing redesign had something to do with that :wink:  Personally, I prefer it, though many may not.  Not that it was a bad thing, but the original 560 had a midrange that was a little thicker than I'd want it :p  The more controlled bass helped that a bit :)

oooh are you saying the new verision is a touch... less full bodied? If so than me gusta! 

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #3,693 of 21,175
  oooh are you saying the new verision is a touch... less full bodied? If so than me gusta! 

That's what I'm saying, yes :)  I'm glad I'm not the only one that prefers this :p  Keep in mind, however, that this is from memory...  I heard the new model yesterday at a meet and the last time I heard the old model was about a month ago... 

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:39 AM Post #3,694 of 21,175

That's what I'm saying, yes :)  I'm glad I'm not the only one that prefers this :p  Keep in mind, however, that this is from memory...  I heard the new model yesterday at a meet and the last time I heard the old model was about a month ago... 

BWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

POR QUE 
*sigh* I want a FULL WOOD CUP for my next open back, WHY hifiman WHY must you make me CHOOOOSE, ugh what ever it's Veneer if it looks and feels like wood let's just hope I forget it's not... *looks at his Mango Wood Full Back HE 4 q.q* 

I was HOPING to just get the Pre Production unit and be done with it... but NO they decided to make the post production VENEERED piece of glory, sound a little lighter, brighter, faster and drier q.q

Jun 23, 2014 at 12:42 AM Post #3,695 of 21,175
  BWAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

POR QUE 
*sigh* I want a FULL WOOD CUP for my next open back, WHY hifiman WHY must you make me CHOOOOSE, ugh what ever it's Veneer if it looks and feels like wood let's just hope I forget it's not... *looks at his Mango Wood Full Back HE 4 q.q* 

I was HOPING to just get the Pre Production unit and be done with it... but NO they decided to make the post production VENEERED piece of glory, sound a little lighter, brighter, faster and drier q.q

I have to admit, when I saw your post pop up in my subscription box, I was a little scared. Hearing bwahahaha and waiting extensively for a headphone are symptoms of a terrible disease as we all know- Headphone Acquiring Syndrome. (more commonly known as HAS)

Jun 23, 2014 at 1:45 AM Post #3,696 of 21,175
  HE-560 = HE-4 and HE-6 -> clean, tight and airy: reference
HE-400i = HE-500 and HE-400 -> warm, lush and smooth: musical
Edit: but none of them (including the lush ones) are thick and smoky like Audeze. It's still rather light and tight, in the grant scheme of things.

Clem:

Thank you for these observations. Since I have the HE 4 and like it a lot, I think I will focus on the HE 6. Always good to have two HPs rather than one 
biggrin.gif

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #3,697 of 21,175
  I have to admit, when I saw your post pop up in my subscription box, I was a little scared. Hearing bwahahaha and waiting extensively for a headphone are symptoms of a terrible disease as we all know- Headphone Acquiring Syndrome. (more commonly known as HAS)

I'm also sick of this disease.  I would die if I'm not looking for treatment.  The treatment is to purchase another brandnew headphone, that's help relieve for a couple months. 
etysmile.gif
etysmile.gif

Jun 23, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #3,698 of 21,175
I'm also sick of this disease.  I would die if I'm not looking for treatment.  The treatment is to purchase another brandnew headphone, that's help relieve for a couple months.  :etysmile: :etysmile:

The sickness is indeed strong... I've been suffering since February. I need my cure! But it's been delayed a few times, apparently :D

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #3,703 of 21,175
I'm in Vietnam right now, but my 560 is sent (arrived this morning) to my address in Singapore, even though HFM customer service is notified of my new Vietnam address. I will only go back to Sin in late July, talk about disappointment lol... I guess I will only meet my new 'son' next month then... 

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #3,704 of 21,175
I was able to do a quick comparison of the new and old models at the recent meet. I second the comment about the new one seeming to have slightly less perceived bass, and a slightly cleaner midrange. The differences were small though. I think the "new" model is a little more neutral, but still great. Honestly people are going on about the horrors of wood veneer. Yeah, sure It looks like heavily treated or fake wood, but some people were saying the teak was messing with the sound. In any case they sound very close, and both look fine. Does it really make THAT much a difference if its real wood or not?

Jun 23, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #3,705 of 21,175
I was under the impression that the changes with the final production model would bring slightly more bass via Jerg's suggestions? Maybe I read that wrong. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back