= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
May 31, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #20,671 of 21,175
Version 1: quite rare, wood cup, SMC jack, focus-a pads, only available as a pre-order iirc
Version 2: wood veneer, SMC jack, focus pads, back plate
Version 3: wood veneer, 2.5mm jack, focus pads (iirc some have back plate, some don't, so could be considered version 3.1)
Version 4: no veneer, 3.5mm jack, focus pads
Above is what I can remember reading in this thread over the years, please correct missing/wrong info

Then there is my version which is a Version 2 with hand made wooden cups! The rarest version in existence. :o2smile:
6BMBOMt.jpg

3. Yes. Start here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...cussion-thread.711824/page-1284#post-14114447 and here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hif...cussion-thread.711824/page-1284#post-14114447

But, it is now pretty unlikely that you will need to replace the headband due to a broken yoke. That seems to have been a relatively isolated incident involving one batch of the 560s. HiFiMan is also very good about replacing the headband with very little fuss. That was my experience when I got mine replaced anyway.
I can confirm this, I've been offering 3d-printed-replacement yokes for the HE-560 and HE-400i for the past year and while I've recieved quite a few requests last year I saw a steep decline in orders after August 2018 and only two people ordered a set this year. Luckily none of the sets I've delivered have failed so far that I know of! I still offer them though so don't hesitate to contact me if you're having issues.

May 31, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #20,672 of 21,175
Then there is my version which is a Version 2 with hand made wooden cups! The rarest version in existence. :o2smile:
6BMBOMt.jpg

I can confirm this, I've been offering 3d-printed-replacement yokes for the HE-560 and HE-400i for the past year and while I've recieved quite a few requests last year I saw a steep decline in orders after August 2018 and only two people ordered a set this year. Luckily none of the sets I've delivered have failed so far that I know of! I still offer them though so don't hesitate to contact me if you're having issues.

As the first "customer", your HE560 yokes have continued to work flawlessly. I even transported the HE560 rather carelessly stuffed in a backpack and it didnt have any issues.

The wood cups are beautiful. Does anyone make cups for these? Any sonic changes?

Jun 2, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #20,674 of 21,175
Don't want to accidentally break something but I wanted to replace the headstrap. Not sure if anyone has done this, but do I just push it out with a flat head screwdriver?

headstrap.jpg

Jun 2, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #20,676 of 21,175
I’ve never changed mine on he560 or hekv2 but there are two screws on the bottom you must loosen, should be fairly easy I think

Yeah I took the screws off but it seems like I might have to pry the plastic tab off. Just wanted to make sure if that's the case before I go and try it.

I guess on that note, I'm looking for replacement screws that holds that plastic tab. The screws strip really easily. If anyone somehow knows the exact size, I'd love to know that as well.

Jun 5, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #20,677 of 21,175
Just received my used HE-560 V2.

Have not spent much time with them yet, but running through a Teac HA-501, I am very impressed. They extend way down, which pleases me :) And as near as I can tell so far, the bass is not covering up the mids. I don't have the most trained ear, but other HPs that would extend as deep, often were too bass heavy overall for my tastes. The 560 seems to extend without having an over-bearing bass. Quite nice!

Jun 13, 2019 at 3:44 PM Post #20,679 of 21,175
Guys, what is this model, please tell me. What are her sound differences with the original model?
http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/hifiman-he560-open-box-special-edition.html
This is a V2 or V3, the only difference being the length of the strap 8" and 8.5". After many complaints on the shorter strap HiFiMan lengthened it on the V3 and they also retrofitted the remaining stock of V2's with the longer head strap so for all practical purposes all are V3. This is a great deal with both SE and XLR cables. I have a retrofitted V2 after returning the first tight fitting set and love the sound signature. They are very inefficient ( Sensitivity : 90dB) so require good amplification to sound best. I use the Massdrop x THX AAA™ 789.

Some say there is a difference between the V3 and the original all wood models sound wise, but the driver is the same. I have not heard a wood model so can't comment.

Jun 28, 2019 at 10:20 AM Post #20,680 of 21,175
Hi there, how do you find the sound of the HE560 from the THX AAA 789? I was indeed trying to get a hold of these very elusive amps for a friend of mine since they're touted to be clean, powerful and extremely affordable.

I'm holding on to a 560v1 that I got used off someone for a decent price. It's the one with the wooden veneer and the older screw type connections on the headphone. I use this headphones primarily on my desktop set-up PC(USB) --> RME-ADI2-DAC (balanced) --> Violectric V280. Sounds really great though I find that it can be a tad "peaky" around the 9k - 10k frequency, so I dip this by about 3db using the PEQ on my DAC which gives me fatigue free listening forever.....:) I find the single ended output generally more than sufficient except for DSD tracks where I sometimes turn the knob up to 2pm to 3pm. Waiting on some balanced cables to really enjoy it, but so far it's been great!
These really need a good amp to drive to sound their best as they are really "inefficient". As a portable solution, I've been using these together with RSA F35-lightning (balanced amp with kobiconn) fed through an LGV30+ and have been getting decent results that I can use on the go. Enjoy!

With the low prices on them now, they're really a steal!!

Jul 5, 2019 at 4:55 AM Post #20,682 of 21,175
Guys, what is this model, please tell me. What are her sound differences with the original model?
http://store.hifiman.com/index.php/hifiman-he560-open-box-special-edition.html
Its a version 4 since it has 3.5mm jacks and no wood veneer. As for how it sounds I'm not sure since I haven't heard one yet but I have heard the original all wood one, 3 different SMC jack ones and 4 different 2.5mm jack ones and they all sound slightly different. Which you would prefer is a person choice, for me I love my version 2, SMC jacks, back plate and wood veneer (added grill mod and attenuation rings).
Has anyone paired their he560s with a drop cth? How was the pairing?

I've only heard the CTH twice and to me its a decent amp, a touch on the bright side with stock tube to me and my friend who owns it but with some headphones its a great paring. I didn't get to try my HE560 on them but I think it would also depend on which version of the HE560 you have.

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #20,683 of 21,175
I had the MCTH and stock tubes, and I didn't like how it paired with the HE560 -- mostly for the reasons @DavidA mentioned - brighter amp. The HE560 is already a little on the bright side, so the MCTH isn't the right tube amp for it in my opinion. Works better with a more bass/warmer emphasized tube amp. I like it with the Woo WA7 Fireflies.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #20,684 of 21,175
The La Figaro 339 would be a wonderful OTL pairing I suspect. I owned one of the classic, and mine was flawless, first gen SMC connector model. I loved the HE560 so much that I had a very nice custom speaker tap cable made by Trevor over at Norne Audio. I didn't own the 560 at the same time as the 339, but I did have the 339 when I had an HD600/800S and a LCD 2F on hand, so extrapolating from my experience with the 560 I think the 339 could be a boss paring. Just an instinctive feeling, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #20,685 of 21,175
The La Figaro 339 would be a wonderful OTL pairing I suspect. I owned one of the classic, and mine was flawless, first gen SMC connector model. I loved the HE560 so much that I had a very nice custom speaker tap cable made by Trevor over at Norne Audio. I didn't own the 560 at the same time as the 339, but I did have the 339 when I had an HD600/800S and a LCD 2F on hand, so extrapolating from my experience with the 560 I think the 339 could be a boss paring. Just an instinctive feeling, but I could be wrong.
Hi M, I agree that the 339 is a great amp with HD800, HD700, T1gen1 and DT990 but I really didn't care for it when paired with any planar headphones that I tried with them which included the HE560, LCD-3f, LCD-X and HE400i. I think the output impedance of the 339 is just a bit too high for most planar headphones but since I only tried the 4 listed I could be mistaken

Users who are viewing this thread

Back