= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Jan 15, 2019 at 7:36 AM Post #20,536 of 21,171
The plot thickens! LOL... I bought what was listed as "v2" on Amazon and sold by Adorama, but it has 3.5mm jacks on the cups, not 2.5mm like my HE-4XX and HD 700. (And yeah, it appears that the newest HE-4XX are now using 3.5mm, too, from what I've heard, so my HE-4XX are older I guess.) I can't tell whether the yokes are long or short, though, since that's a relative thing, and I have nothing to compare against, but they fit my head fine.
I have a guy selling used one, a photo (a box on top of picture) is definitely Adorama (metal fixed yokes, orange accents) but he claims it has 2.5 mm jacks. Maybe there are 3 different Adorama versions now? :beyersmile:

image;s=1000x700

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 7:47 AM Post #20,537 of 21,171
i have had both adorama ones if the cups are silver they are 3.5mm the only difference between the two is the longer strap on the v3. i asked both adorama and hifiman and was told that by both and when i sent my one pair of v2 back and got a v3 instead they were identical except for 1/2" longer band

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 6:25 PM Post #20,539 of 21,171
Well, the guy I mentioned admitted he was in the wrong, his version has 3.5 mm jacks. Mystery solved.)

Yet he insists that the v2 from HIFIMAN and v2 from Adorama sound identical, he even got angry in the messaging about it, telling me not to listen to "stupid audiophiles", who claim nonsense. :dt880smile:

Jan 15, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #20,540 of 21,171
New member here. Just picked up the 400-i's, and love them. Plan to get the 560s soon.

Wondering about V1 vs. later versions (at least the V1 for sale on Amazon—know it's not the absolute original).

Since the price on V1s has come down so much, and so many people are negative about the sound of the later models, why would I want to consider the V2 or V3 (as clearly man of you have done as indicated by the thread)? Is it just aesthetics? Thanks!

Jan 16, 2019 at 8:19 AM Post #20,541 of 21,171
I've made a Google Docs spreadsheet, anyone welcome to correct and replace question signs with actual info.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MFajeRNHs2rQNUZ-f46h2nME1tIQiYuiY5dWNm7esJ8/edit?usp=sharing

My recognition:
to add HiFiMAN ver 0 (prototype or very limited number?): solid wooden cup (but warped so changed to plastic with veneer later)
HiFiMAN ver 1: Cup is not wood, but plastic cup with wood veneer
HiFiMAN ver 2: HiFiMAN does not say version so better to call ver 1.5? Cup is not wood but Plastic cup with wood veneer

Jan 16, 2019 at 12:27 PM Post #20,542 of 21,171
New member here. Just picked up the 400-i's, and love them. Plan to get the 560s soon.

Wondering about V1 vs. later versions (at least the V1 for sale on Amazon—know it's not the absolute original).

Since the price on V1s has come down so much, and so many people are negative about the sound of the later models, why would I want to consider the V2 or V3 (as clearly man of you have done as indicated by the thread)? Is it just aesthetics? Thanks!

Maybe because the original version is no longer available :wink:

Given the amount of wrong information in this thread I can understand that it's confusing though....

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019 at 5:46 PM Post #20,543 of 21,171
Maybe because the original version is no longer available :wink:

Given the amount of wrong information in this thread I can understand that it's confusing though....

Ok so does the version with Wood Veneer sold on Amazon sound more like the original or the Adorama revision (V2 + V3)?

Yea. I’m confused. Reviews on Amazon make it sound like it’s the OG version.

Jan 16, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #20,544 of 21,171
Ok so does the version with Wood Veneer sold on Amazon sound more like the original or the Adorama revision (V2 + V3)?

Yea. I’m confused. Reviews on Amazon make it sound like it’s the OG version.

Much more like the original. @DavidA could explain the differences in sound, but they are slight.

Jan 18, 2019 at 1:49 AM Post #20,545 of 21,171

My only experience is between the SMC back plate version (which I still have) and the version with 2.5mm non-back plate with wood veneer and the original style headband (which a friend has). One thing we both noted is that the original with the back plate needs the grill mod while the newer ones without the back plate don't need the grill mod, this has a fairly noticeable impact on sound stage and at times how the highs are presented but its a matter of personal preference here. For me my original SMC version, grill mod and attenuation rings is my preferred sound but to my friend mine is a bit too bright to her but has better bass so its hard to say what you would like since we all hear differently.

Jan 19, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #20,547 of 21,171
My only experience is between the SMC back plate version (which I still have) and the version with 2.5mm non-back plate with wood veneer and the original style headband (which a friend has). One thing we both noted is that the original with the back plate needs the grill mod while the newer ones without the back plate don't need the grill mod, this has a fairly noticeable impact on sound stage and at times how the highs are presented but its a matter of personal preference here. For me my original SMC version, grill mod and attenuation rings is my preferred sound but to my friend mine is a bit too bright to her but has better bass so its hard to say what you would like since we all hear differently.
Fully agree with that, I have read an interview with Hifiman, where I found explanation to every revision of HE-560, from 1 to 3,
Totally, every revision has the same driver, the difference only in materials and construction,
but again, that does not representing in sound quality CHANGES

Jan 20, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #20,548 of 21,171
Fully agree with that, I have read an interview with Hifiman, where I found explanation to every revision of HE-560, from 1 to 3,
Totally, every revision has the same driver, the difference only in materials and construction,
but again, that does not representing in sound quality CHANGES

I do believe that the sound is changed to some extend. Cup material changed, backplate removed, different headband with different clamping force...etc
Its nearly impossible to retain the original pair's sound signature 100%, even if its a 10% different, its still perceivable. No amount of tuning can negate the physical differences, even if they all use the same driver.
Its like putting an engine from one car to another different car. No way they will have the same performance.

Jan 21, 2019 at 12:12 AM Post #20,549 of 21,171
Changing or getting rid of the backplate where the magnets were attached to changes a bit the way the magnets interface with the driver. It is a different driver in my book even if it a small change.

Jan 22, 2019 at 5:00 PM Post #20,550 of 21,171
Im notice with my He560. which ive owned for about year, the bass is extremely pronounced and boomy if the cups are held in front of the ear with no seal, once the cups are sealed around the ear bass returns to normal, I dont know if theyve always been like this but they do seem very bass light at the moment, I remember they were always on the brighter side but maybe they had more bass at one time and there is something up now.
no obvious distortion or problems and both drivers behave exactly the same so it doesnt seem like there is a problem.

Its just odd since you always hear people mention how the seal is important for bass response but in this case the seal tones down bass dramatically. Can anyone explain this?

edit: the reason the bass sounded off was unrelated to the HPs. it was RCA sockets that gradually developed a loose clamp on the connector pin from repeated reconnecting, tightening them up and using a bit of contact cleaner made a world of difference

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back