= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Aug 5, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #17,926 of 21,179
Ttvj is not an authorized Hifiman dealer. No warranty there. You should check the dealer list even when purchasing through Amazon.
http://www.hifiman.com/dealers

TTVJ is listed on the dealers page of the hifiman site.

9934781_l.png

I'm considering picking these up at the $350 price however from what I've read it will probably not be a significant upgrade from the HE-400i which I already own. Any opinions for those who are familiar to both headphones?

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #17,927 of 21,179
@bwcgrx, there is a easy to notice difference between the HE400i and HE560, just make sure you have an amp that will pair with the HE560 since its harder to drive than the HE400i. When I say harder to drive its both since the HE560 is not very efficient and like the HD800 can be picky with amps, a bad pairing can make them seem thin or lack bass.

Aug 5, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #17,928 of 21,179

9934781_l.png

I'm considering picking these up at the $350 price however from what I've read it will probably not be a significant upgrade from the HE-400i which I already own. Any opinions for those who are familiar to both headphones?

It's of course highly subjective but I bought the HE560 a couple of weeks back and was also afraid that the difference wouldn't be that big from what I've read about them. It didn't take long to realize that they're quite different sounding and after spending some more time with the HE560 I do indeed think that they're quite a significant step up from the HE400i.

The soundstage on the HE560 is significantly larger, it has better bass quality and deeper subbass. It does also reveal more details and has a much more airy presentation. It also have the best treble presentation I've ever heard. On the other hand the HE400i has a fuller midrange (especially lower midrange) and more mid bass presence and is less picky with amp pairings.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #17,929 of 21,179
I am driving myself crazy over here. I've decided, more out of boredom than anything, that I would like to get a pair of open planars, so I ordered the M1060's. They're not shipping for another week, though, so in the meantime I've been digging around and am considering canceling that and picking up some HE560's. I primarily listen to metal and classical, some jazz, some gaming, and couldn't find anything in this thread about the M1060's (although my search-fu may well be exceedingly poor). Any thoughts on these for $100 more vs the 1060's?

Aug 5, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #17,930 of 21,179
I am driving myself crazy over here. I've decided, more out of boredom than anything, that I would like to get a pair of open planars, so I ordered the M1060's. They're not shipping for another week, though, so in the meantime I've been digging around and am considering canceling that and picking up some HE560's. I primarily listen to metal and classical, some jazz, some gaming, and couldn't find anything in this thread about the M1060's (although my search-fu may well be exceedingly poor). Any thoughts on these for $100 more vs the 1060's?
For the $100 more I would get the HE560, most of the M1060 owners say they have spent an extra $100 for Audeze ear pads so that takes care of the price difference. I did get to hear a stock M1060 and was disappointed with them since they were boring without any life to the sound IMO. While some feel the Focus-A pads are what the HE560 needs I like the regular Focus pads myself but I have installed some attenuation rings (have rings actually) that I got the idea from the TH-X00 thread which brings up the bass a touch to give a better balanced sound, its also free since almost any heavy card stock will work.

Aug 5, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #17,931 of 21,179
For the $100 more I would get the HE560, most of the M1060 owners say they have spent an extra $100 for Audeze ear pads so that takes care of the price difference. I did get to hear a stock M1060 and was disappointed with them since they were boring without any life to the sound IMO. While some feel the Focus-A pads are what the HE560 needs I like the regular Focus pads myself but I have installed some attenuation rings (have rings actually) that I got the idea from the TH-X00 thread which brings up the bass a touch to give a better balanced sound, its also free since almost any heavy card stock will work.

Kind of what I'd figured. Guess I'll save up for a few more weeks to get the extra funds for the HE560 and then go nuts.

Aug 5, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #17,932 of 21,179

9934781_l.png

own both - just to let you know HE-560 is a different beast. Pair it with a good clean DAC, and a Powerful amplifier, and it will produce cleaner and deeper lows than the HE-400i (READ: not Louder, but cleaner, and deeper (lower frequency response)) - tighter acoustic response throughout the audible range, and it stays amazingly clean! - HE560 never stops to amaze me, it is probably the best value in the used Market. I also own the HE 1000v1, and LDC-X, HD650 - but HE560 has just become my headphone to go. The only caveat is that it is PICKY..PICKY about its amp / dac pairing. Get a DAC that is little warm OR not as clinical as the Sabre 9xxx series, also I hated the HE-560 running through Schiit Lyr 2 - that was a big mistake.

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #17,933 of 21,179
own both - just to let you know HE-560 is a different beast. Pair it with a good clean DAC, and a Powerful amplifier, and it will produce cleaner and deeper lows than the HE-400i (READ: not Louder, but cleaner, and deeper (lower frequency response)) - tighter acoustic response throughout the audible range, and it stays amazingly clean! - HE560 never stops to amaze me, it is probably the best value in the used Market. I also own the HE 1000v1, and LDC-X, HD650 - but HE560 has just become my headphone to go. The only caveat is that it is PICKY..PICKY about its amp / dac pairing. Get a DAC that is little warm OR not as clinical as the Sabre 9xxx series, also I hated the HE-560 running through Schiit Lyr 2 - that was a big mistake.

How would you compare the LCD-X to the 560? That Audeze is my ultimate goal, but the 560 seems like a great headphone too.

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #17,934 of 21,179

I actually like the Lyr2 with my HE560, granted I have some good NOS Telefunken CCa, Siemens CCa, and a few other tubes. DAC used is either Bimby or UD-301. For me the Jot was the amp that the HE560 did not pair well with, liked the Ember or headphone output of the UD-301 better.

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:32 PM Post #17,935 of 21,179
deleted

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #17,936 of 21,179
How would you compare the LCD-X to the 560? That Audeze is my ultimate goal, but the 560 seems like a great headphone too.

Hello

I will do a break down 560 vs LCD - X, both with IFI DSD (amp dac) and OPPO HA1
Highs: The Highs on 560 are clearer they are a teeny tiny bit sibilant on LCD - X (but nothing that will cause issues) - However if you pair the HE-560 with wrong DAC/AMP (Sabre 9xxx dac/schiit tube amp) it becomes a nightmare, the Treble will kill your ears and you will end up with tinnitus. I still prefer the highs on HE560
Mids: The Mids on the LCD -X are far superior than the HE-560. LCD-X hs nice warm character to the Mids, so I do prefer the Midrange on the LCD - X
Bass: The Bass on HE-560 extends lower, the Bass on LCD - X integrates better with the Mids, the Bass itself is also warmer (think rounded sound - tubby but not out of control) on the LCD - X. For Hip pop /edm/ breakbeats /dubstep HE-560 is better, Bass is cleaner and extends more into the lower frequencies.
Sound stage: LCD - X has amazing sound stage. when you listen to music on LCD - X it honestly sounds like your are listening to extremely well placed speakers (without the room acoustic issues) - in this regard LCD - X is miles ahead on the HE 560
Attack: The Attack on the HE-560 and LCD - X is equal (the speed of music, both headphones feel composed with fast / complex sounds tracks)
Decay: The Decay is better on the HE -560, this makes the sound cleaner - and a bit smeared on the LCD -X
Comfort: HE-560 is lighter - can be worn for few hours without issues, The LDC - X is heavy. I have to take my LCD - X off every hour or so
Ear Pads: Both have comfortable ear pads, however the pads on the LCD -X will make you sweat if you dont take them off
Weight: LCD - X are much ....much heavier, so the comfort is compromised
Ease of use: they are both meant for desktop use, so no wearing outside
Power: LCD - X are easy to drive, but the HE560 need a high current amp to sound best - maybe 500mw @ 50 ohm and above
Build Quality: LCD - X easily beat the HE560 here, but again if you buy new you are looking at 899$ vs 1800$ ..so yeah...

which one to buy?
So this is the million dollar question - if you only want to pick one, buy the HE-560, but if you are saving a bit more, I would say buy both!! We are comparing apples to oranges here. These two headphones do very different things, but both of them sound extremely good! I have paradigm signsture s8 speakers, and when I listen to music through the LCD - X I am amazed how good, and large they sound - they put the speakers to shame. The HE-560 on the other hand amaze me with their speed, and the delivery of music! so they are both extremely good! but you have to be careful with what AMP / DAC you are pairing them with.

hope this helps

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #17,937 of 21,179
I actually like the Lyr2 with my HE560, granted I have some good NOS Telefunken CCa, Siemens CCa, and a few other tubes. DAC used is either Bimby or UD-301. For me the Jot was the amp that the HE560 did not pair well with, liked the Ember or headphone output of the UD-301 better.
yes - I was using stock tubes...I didnt get into tube rolling...I imagine good tubes will really warm up the HE560 :wink:

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2017 at 11:44 PM Post #17,938 of 21,179
Hello

I will do a break down 560 vs LCD - X, both with IFI DSD (amp dac) and OPPO HA1
Highs: The Highs on 560 are clearer they are a teeny tiny bit sibilant on LCD - X (but nothing that will cause issues) - However if you pair the HE-560 with wrong DAC/AMP (Sabre 9xxx dac/schiit tube amp) it becomes a nightmare, the Treble will kill your ears and you will end up with tinnitus. I prefer HE560
Mids: The Mids on the LCD -X are far superior than the HE-560. LCD-X hs nice warm character to the Mids, so I do prefer the Midrange on the LCD - X
Bass: The Bass on HE-560 extends lower, the Bass on LCD - X integrated better with the Mids, the Bass itself is also warmer (think rounded sound - tubby but not out of control) on the LCD - X. For Hip pop /edm/ breakbeats /dubstep HE-560 is better, Bass is cleaner and extends more into the lower frequencies.
Sound stage: LCD - X has amazing sound stage. when you listen to music on LCD - X it honestly sounds like your are listening to extremely well placed speakers (without the room acoustic issues) - in this regard LCD - X is miles ahead on the HE 560
Attack: The Attack on the HE-560 and LCD - X is equal (the speed of music, both headphones feel composed with fast / complex sounds tracks)
Decay: The Decay is better on the HE -560, this makes the sound cleaner - and a bit smeared on the LCD -X
Comfort: HE-560 is lighter - can be worn for few hours without issues, The LDC - X is heavy. I have to take my LCD - X off every hour or so
Ear Pads: Both have comfortable ear pads, however the pads on the LCD -X will make you sweat if you dont take them off
Weight: LCD - X are much ....much heavier, so the comfort is compromised
Ease of use: they are both meant for desktop use, so no wearing outside
Power: LCD - X are easy to drive, but the HE560 need a high current amp to sound best - maybe 500mw @ 50 ohm and above
Build Quality: LCD - X easily beat the HE560 here, but again if you buy new you are looking at 899$ vs 1800$ ..so yeah...

which one to buy?
So this is the million dollar question - if you only want to pick one, buy the HE-560, but if you are saving a bit more, I would say buy both!! We are comparing apples to oranges here. These two headphones do very different things, but both of them sound extremely good! I have paradigm signsture s8 speakers, and when I listen to music through the LCD - X I am amazed how good, and large they sound - they put the speakers to shame. The HE-560 on the other hand amaze me with their speed, and the delivery of music! so they are both extremely good! but you have to be careful with what AMP / DAC you are pairing them with.

hope this helps

That was extremely helpful and thorough! Thank you!

I will probably use the iFi Black Label for both, eventually moving up to the Audio-gd NFB-28.38. Seems like those pairings should work. I may have to take advantage of the current sale on the 560's.

Aug 5, 2017 at 11:50 PM Post #17,940 of 21,179
That was extremely helpful and thorough! Thank you!

I will probably use the iFi Black Label for both, eventually moving up to the Audio-gd NFB-28.38. Seems like those pairings should work. I may have to take advantage of the current sale on the 560's.

Nice ! :)

your setup is very similar to mine, I have a IFI Black label ordered, but currently I use the original IFI imicro IDSD (the silver one) - I also have the Audiogd NFB but the 28.28, not .38, and the 560's / LCD - X sound good with it. Due to space issues my NFB 28.28 is in the storage :) but be careful with the Volume knob on that thing..it doesn't just go to 11...it goes to 15!!!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back