= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Mar 8, 2017 at 7:02 PM Post #17,566 of 21,171
Agreed! I've had the 560's now for 8+ months. After owning HE500's, HD700's (3 different times) , and the HD800's. It's like the 560's, are the morph of all 3. Everything that I liked about the former , it's like the 560's give you everything that was good about them in one can. I get most the air and space of the senns, and most of the midrange and bass of the 500's, but more refined. And to my ears, I think the 560's do holography better than all mentioned. Everything just seems like a perfect spectrum balance.

The 800's , for me , the Soundstage was too disconnected, and treble dominated the spectrum.
The 700's, which I actually preferred over the 800's, the mids just didn't do it for me. I tried 3 times , with 3 different rigs. Lol.
The 500's had an phenomenal midrange, and awesome bass. They lacked air , and space. A lot of the time, they seemed too closed in.

It's amazing what the 560's accomplish in regards to comparing them to those 3 cans. They just do everything perfect for me.
We'll see what happens when my HEX V1's get here this weekend :wink:

Excellent can, congrats!

Mar 9, 2017 at 1:36 AM Post #17,568 of 21,171
Have had a brand new pair for about a day so far. Very impressed with the sound out of the box, even with no break in. Can't wait to spend many hours listening to all my music over again!

Mar 9, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #17,569 of 21,171
I was going to get the HE400's but just before clicking on the link, I saw that these were discounted by a seller for 400$ - I had to do it. I'm currently using the Project Ember 2.1 amp and the Arcam rDAC and I have to say that these sound absolutely superb. Perfect combo, I'd recommend this easily to anyone looking for a good pairing. 

Mar 10, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #17,570 of 21,171
  i am so psyched to have ordered a brand spankin' new pair of HE-560's today. should see em before the weekend. hoorah. 

Good choice!  I'm very happy with my 560's.  I keep wanting to talk myself into some new cans but, I keep refusing to do it. 
beyersmile.png

Mike

Mar 10, 2017 at 8:40 PM Post #17,572 of 21,171
Easy way to look at it is to say I am not buying the Utopias, look at all the money I am saving by buying this instead. Think how many times you will be able to use that line. :wink:

I use that all the time, point out to my wife how reasonable I am. It helps to have a friend who actually DID purchase the expensive item under discussion to highlight your reasonableness! :)

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #17,573 of 21,171
Easy way to look at it is to say I am not buying the Utopias, look at all the money I am saving by buying this instead. Think how many times you will be able to use that line.
wink.gif

Actually, I was considering the Utopias but, I don't believe they are the best HP for my amp and music preference.  I'm still tossing around the idea of the Abyss, LCD-4, or the HEK v2 but, I'll likely be keeping my money...

Mike

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #17,574 of 21,171
Agreed! I've had the 560's now for 8+ months. After owning HE500's, HD700's (3 different times) , and the HD800's. It's like the 560's, are the morph of all 3. Everything that I liked about the former , it's like the 560's give you everything that was good about them in one can. I get most the air and space of the senns, and most of the midrange and bass of the 500's, but more refined. And to my ears, I think the 560's do holography better than all mentioned. Everything just seems like a perfect spectrum balance.

The 800's , for me , the Soundstage was too disconnected, and treble dominated the spectrum.
The 700's, which I actually preferred over the 800's, the mids just didn't do it for me. I tried 3 times , with 3 different rigs. Lol.
The 500's had an phenomenal midrange, and awesome bass. They lacked air , and space. A lot of the time, they seemed too closed in.

It's amazing what the 560's accomplish in regards to comparing them to those 3 cans. They just do everything perfect for me.
We'll see what happens when my HEX V1's get here this weekend
wink.gif

Please do tell about the HEX's.  I've had the HD800 and HE560's and feel the same as you about them so I'd be very interested to hear your impression of the HEX's.

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #17,575 of 21,171
Actually, I was considering the Utopias but, I don't believe they are the best HP for my amp and music preference.  I'm still tossing around the idea of the Abyss, LCD-4, or the HEK v2 but, I'll likely be keeping my money...

Mike

I have extensively compared the Utopia to the HEK v2 having no prior allegience to either brand - indeed I already owned the Utopia when by chance I had the opportunity to grab 5 minutes with the HEK.

That 5 minutes was enough to convince me I needed to spend some serious time with them as I strongly suspected I much preferred their presentation to the Utopia.

A week later the Utopia went back and I am totally smitten by the HEK. For my listening it is very nearly perfect. As detailed as the Utopia but very different in how it goes about things.

Wouldn't mind trying something like the HE560 as a second pair for the bedroom system.

Mar 11, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #17,576 of 21,171
I have the 560 (which I like), the HEK v1 (v2 On The way), a review Elear. HEK beats them all considerably, generally only use HEK unless I need comparisons for a review. Haven't been able to spend much time with the Utopia though.

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #17,577 of 21,171
I have the 560 (which I like), the HEK v1 (v2 On The way), a review Elear. HEK beats them all considerably, generally only use HEK unless I need comparisons for a review. Haven't been able to spend much time with the Utopia though.

What amp are you using with the HEKs? I did take a look at your profile, but wasn't sure which of the ones listed you're using specifically for those 'phones. I'm hoping I can get away with a Mjolnir 2 (with good glass), fed by a Yggy, should I ever one day make the jump.

Personally, I have a hard time justifying the price jump to a pair of HEK v2s over the 560s. I didn't spend much time auditioning the v1s, but I didn't feel they were worth the difference in price (despite the fact that I've made a similar jump with a speaker purchase). The more positive impressions I read of the v2 though, the more I think I may have to eventually pick up a pair of 'em. Need to get my hands on a pair to try them out first.

If nothing else, comfort-wise, for me, the 560s are absolutely perfect. Sound signature and quality aren't perfect, but damn fine for the money. Build quality long term? Tough to say.

Mar 11, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #17,579 of 21,171
Personally, I have a hard time justifying the price jump to a pair of HEK v2s over the 560s. I didn't spend much time auditioning the v1s, but I didn't feel they were worth the difference in price (despite the fact that I've made a similar jump with a speaker purchase). The more positive impressions I read of the v2 though, the more I think I may have to eventually pick up a pair of 'em. Need to get my hands on a pair to try them out first.

If nothing else, comfort-wise, for me, the 560s are absolutely perfect. Sound signature and quality aren't perfect, but damn fine for the money. Build quality long term? Tough to say.

Agreed on all points.

Mike

Mar 11, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #17,580 of 21,171

What amp are you using with the HEKs? I did take a look at your profile, but wasn't sure which of the ones listed you're using specifically for those 'phones. I'm hoping I can get away with a Mjolnir 2 (with good glass), fed by a Yggy, should I ever one day make the jump.

I never like to jump into the "is it worth x times the cost of these cans...diminishing returns always kicks in (you can get where you're going with a Hundai-is it worth multiples to buy a Porsch? Well, if what it offers is appealing, and you can afford it, maybe, but not cost wise for the functionality...). I have to say I got the HEK v1 as part of the beta they had, so I didn't have to spend that much more, not sure I'd have gone for the full cost (though, I absolutely love them, and think they are worth the extra over the 560, good as the 560's are).

I mostly use a MicroZOTL2 for headphones...currently over at Ben/Mojo Audio for upgrades, also likely get Ben's super LPS for it, but the stock with the HEK v1 was great sounding imo. Have the v2 coming now as well, not sure how long it will take. My listening and comparisons of v1 and v2 at a meet, not good conditions, my v1 had upgraded Norne cable, but I didn't hear big differences. I know others think otherwise, and I may when I get to do a good comparison in my home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back