= HiFiMAN HE-560 Impressions & Discussion Thread =
Dec 21, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #17,311 of 21,171
  Very interesting. Nice dac/amp. But for now is little to much 1600€.
Im looking in 1000€ rang.

regards,
Simon

The only other DAC/Amp combo i can think of which has both the tonality and power you require to drive is the iFi Micro iDSD. The iFi house sound is basically resolving, neutral to slightly warm. It also fits into your budget at $549 for the "Black" label edition of the iDSD. Link below:

https://www.amazon.com/iFi-Micro-iDSD-Black-Label/dp/B01MTNK3ZT/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1482296982&sr=8-2&keywords=ifi+audio+micro+idsd

Reviews:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/ifi-audio-micro-idsd/reviews/17626
http://majorhifi.com/ifi-micro-idsd-black-label-dac-review/
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/11/ifi-audios-black-label-micro-idsd-can-go-everywhere-you-do/
http://www.head-fi.org/products/ifi-audio-micro-idsd/reviews/17561

Dec 21, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #17,312 of 21,171
Thank you all for your suggestions. I'll think about it.

Otherwise, I had on test some time IFI micro idsd + HD800. It was not bad.
But that combination sounded so bleak, soulless. Not musically.

Black Label is interesting. Otherwise, I should hear how will match with HE-560.

What about Jotunheim or Lyr 2 ?

regards,
Simon

Dec 21, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #17,316 of 21,171
It's a solid amp. At least for a starter. Well documented synergy with the he560. Plenty of power

Dec 21, 2016 at 2:24 PM Post #17,318 of 21,171
The H10 is probably the most recommended pairing on here, followed maybe by the Lyr2. I have a Lyr2 and keep getting tempted by the H10 because it's brought up so often. I have to keep telling myself it's just a "grass is always greener" thing. :)

Dec 21, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #17,320 of 21,171
The H10 is probably the most recommended pairing on here, followed maybe by the Lyr2. I have a Lyr2 and keep getting tempted by the H10 because it's brought up so often. I have to keep telling myself it's just a "grass is always greener" thing. :)

I have the 1st lyr. With the right tubes I prefer it over the h10. Even with the burson v5s. But I spent a lot of money to find the tubes that make the lyr better. Cca or e88cc Heerlens .

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #17,321 of 21,171

After trying the H10 for a few days I liked the Lyr2 better only because I could change its tone a little with tubes but as @tvnosaint noted the tubes and be quite pricy, 75' Reflektors, Telefunken CCa, and Siemens Lorenz.

Dec 28, 2016 at 12:23 PM Post #17,322 of 21,171
Can most definitely recommend the Violectric V100's for the HE560's :) Bought it a week ago and haven't been able to wipe the grin of my face that I have had since then listening to my combo: Mojo->V100->HE560. 

Also I can advice against using the HE560's with the Schiit Lyr. First edition I believe it was. Makes them sound dull, lifeless and very boring. Felt like; is this really the same headphone I'm listening to right now?

Dec 28, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #17,323 of 21,171
Hello, new here. Got my HE560 for Christmas. Love love loved them. Put through a 40 watt Sony HapS1 music server. Listened to everything in my library for three days straight. Hmmmmm what's this distortion in the lows? But only on a few songs I.e. Bob Weir's voice lol, some Flaminco Obsession, well then I found most stuff with multiple instruments during a loud moment. Sent them back to Razerdog who was so nice to say they would replace them no questions. So found this forum while waiting. Question. If it is in the recording shouldn't there be a some of the same sound at lower volumes? And here is the VERY strange thing, I listened to each ear cup independently. I thought they both had the distortion. And through my reference system (PrimaLuna tube amp, Triton Ones) I don't hear the distortion. So confused as to whether it is the 560 or the recordings. Are there any other tests that could isolate the culprit?

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #17,324 of 21,171

Also I can advice against using the HE560's with the Schiit Lyr. First edition I believe it was. Makes them sound dull, lifeless and very boring. Felt like; is this really the same headphone I'm listening to right now?

As a few of us noted above, with the Lyr/Lyr2 it depends on the tubes used.

Hello, new here. Got my HE560 for Christmas. Love love loved them. Put through a 40 watt Sony HapS1 music server. Listened to everything in my library for three days straight. Hmmmmm what's this distortion in the lows? But only on a few songs I.e. Bob Weir's voice lol, some Flaminco Obsession, well then I found most stuff with multiple instruments during a loud moment. Sent them back to Razerdog who was so nice to say they would replace them no questions. So found this forum while waiting. Question. If it is in the recording shouldn't there be a some of the same sound at lower volumes? And here is the VERY strange thing, I listened to each ear cup independently. I thought they both had the distortion. And through my reference system (PrimaLuna tube amp, Triton Ones) I don't hear the distortion. So confused as to whether it is the 560 or the recordings. Are there any other tests that could isolate the culprit?

Are you using the headphone output of the HAP-S1?  If so, it might not have enough output to drive the HE-560 properly.  I couldn't find any specs on the headphone section of the HAP-S1

Dec 28, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #17,325 of 21,171
Yup, had the same thing happen to me with a Marantz receiver. Seems like a receiver thing. It'd be best to test with at least one different amp first, can even be your phone; seems like receivers might struggle more with distortion regarding power hungry headphones than anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back