HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Sep 21, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #8,056 of 20,374
  What all do I need to have a balanced setup with HE-500, assuming I have something like a Audio GD NFB28?

Only the cables? Do the headphone need any modifications? Or just buy an aftermarket balanced cable, say something like this?

http://www.moon-audio.com/audio-cables/moon-audio-headphone-cables/hifiman-headphone-cables/moon-audio-blue-dragon-headphone-cable.html

What kind of headphone connection type and termination type should I select?

Thanks in advance.

You need only to reterminate the default cable as in:
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/Phoenix/ModifyEN.htm
or buy an aftermarket 4 pin xlr terminated cable with Hifiman connections (the one you linked has different termination)

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:15 PM Post #8,057 of 20,374
You need only to reterminate the default cable as in:
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/Phoenix/ModifyEN.htm
or buy an aftermarket 4 pin xlr terminated cable with Hifiman connections (the one you linked has different termination)

Thanks a lot. The link I provided gives the options to customize both ends of the cable. I was wondering what they should be. One end is obviously Hifiman, just not sure of the other end. I know it has to be an XLR, but more options are given.

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #8,058 of 20,374
  What all do I need to have a balanced setup with HE-500, assuming I have something like a Audio GD NFB28?

Only the cables? Do the headphone need any modifications? Or just buy an aftermarket balanced cable, say something like this?

http://www.moon-audio.com/audio-cables/moon-audio-headphone-cables/hifiman-headphone-cables/moon-audio-blue-dragon-headphone-cable.html

What kind of headphone connection type and termination type should I select?

Thanks in advance.

Moon would be good or "Q audio".  As has been said, just get a cable that has the Hifiman connectors on one end and the appropriate balanced connector for you amp on the other end. (i.e. 4-pin XLR or dual 3-pin XLR) No mods to the actual headphone are needed just the cable.  I went with 4-pin XLR (that is what my current amp has) and then got an adapter for duel 3-pin XLR in case I want to try out amps with duel 3-pin.

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #8,059 of 20,374
  I've a Lyr and still tube rolling at the moment, should I still opt for an Emo x100? Seems to get all the Hype... Feel sorry for my beloved Lyr. 
redface.gif

Just a word of warning, your Lyr might ends up an orphan.  
size]

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #8,060 of 20,374
  I've a Lyr and still tube rolling at the moment, should I still opt for an Emo x100? Seems to get all the Hype... Feel sorry for my beloved Lyr. 
redface.gif

Remember that Emotiva is a speaker amp, and quite a good one for it's price. If you don't like it with headphones, they'll still work with speakers.

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:22 PM Post #8,061 of 20,374
I've a Lyr and still tube rolling at the moment, should I still opt for an Emo x100? Seems to get all the Hype... Feel sorry for my beloved Lyr. :xf_eek:

Pls Dont get carried away about that 'perfect choice' amp..its not as good as some say it is...if u have some good tubes in ur lyr (or invest in them)i dont think buying the emotiva will be that much better with the he500 (for the he6 its a whole different ballgame though!)..or just get a better tube amp like the 337/339 (with 6080wb graphite plates or 5998) or the taboo... But i agree..for the price the emotiva sells for its a bargain for what it delivers.

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #8,063 of 20,374
hello everyone,

I'm a new very happy owner of an HE-500.

I've posted an info request on the "Introductions, Help and Recommendations" forum, but thought that this dedicated thread would be the best place to ask.

Anyone here using an Auralic Taurus MKII with the HE-500??  feedbacks?

What ampli can you recommend if:
- I like a detailed, transparent and very dynamic sound
- I like a neutral, very tonally correct reproduction
- I absolutely don't like harsh or fatiguing highs
(I've gone back till the page 450 of this incredibly long thread, and didn't find anything related, if you already discussed this in a previous page please excuse me)

many thanks
mike

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #8,064 of 20,374
My bad, you said in the other thread you were budgeting for $800 for a dac? Audio GD offer plenty of good options below that value. If you really wanted to save money there are less expensive options like the Dacmagic, Bifrost etc. You seem to already have researched I'm sure you'll figure it out.

Quote:

The Audio gd Ref 5.32 is probably good, but using it single ended does not seem to me the best way to justify a 1000 $ cost

Personally I don't hear any difference on this one.

Sep 21, 2013 at 12:49 PM Post #8,065 of 20,374
Pls Dont get carried away about that 'perfect choice' amp..its not as good as some say it is...if u have some good tubes in ur lyr (or invest in them)i dont think buying the emotiva will be that much better with the he500 (for the he6 its a whole different ballgame though!)..or just get a better tube amp like the 337/339 (with 6080wb graphite plates or 5998) or the taboo... But i agree..for the price the emotiva sells for its a bargain for what it delivers.

Or one can buy a better stereo amplifier!
biggrin.gif
 One you've listened to your HE-500 via speaker taps there's a good chance your Lyr might be orphaned, happened rather quickly to my Project Sunrise 2... Fortunately it found a new family quickly as well and is now powering a Sennheiser HD600.

But the Mini-X is really good for its price. I compared it to my power amp doing duty in my home theatre and while my home theatre amp did sound better, it wasn't a night a day difference, especially when compared to the difference in price. One day when I eventually find a better headphone amp, I will relegate the Mini-X to do stereo duty on my computer system.

Sep 21, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #8,068 of 20,374
Or one can buy a better stereo amplifier! :D  One you've listened to your HE-500 via speaker taps there's a good chance your Lyr might be orphaned, happened rather quickly to my Project Sunrise 2... Fortunately it found a new family quickly as well and is now powering a Sennheiser HD600.

But the Mini-X is really good for its price. I compared it to my power amp doing duty in my home theatre and while my home theatre amp did sound better, it wasn't a night a day difference, especially when compared to the difference in price. One day when I eventually find a better headphone amp, I will relegate the Mini-X to do stereo duty on my computer system.

Be carefull with a home theatre (with multi hundreds watts) amp..it could damage ur he500 because of the current it provides when connected directly to the speaker terminals.. A good not to strong (cheapish found) quality vintage marantz could do the trick though..but be prepaired for an expensive overhaul sooner or later...
But as i said before..for a bargain new SS amp the emotiva is theway to go...

Sep 21, 2013 at 2:59 PM Post #8,069 of 20,374
Be carefull with a home theatre (with multi hundreds watts) amp..it could damage ur he500 because of the current it provides when connected directly to the speaker terminals.. A good not to strong (cheapish found) quality vintage marantz could do the trick though..but be prepaired for an expensive overhaul sooner or later...
But as i said before..for a bargain new SS amp the emotiva is theway to go...

I hear about the emotiva like no bodys buisness

SO do we think the Audio GD 10ES2 at 6w into 50 ohms [balanced out] is enough for an HE 6? and will that extra current help clean up an HE 400? 

Sep 21, 2013 at 3:22 PM Post #8,070 of 20,374
The Topping TP60 works great too for those not in the US. I got mine a couple of months ago for $211 aud shipped I can't imagine them sounding better without going to something like a HP8. The only problem with the TP60 is, that there's so much detail in the music now it's hard to concentrate on the music. The old $20 1980s pioneer integrated amp sounds great too, less detail but more bass. I hooked mine up via speaker taps from BTG Audio, with no resistors in place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back