HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Sep 9, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #7,651 of 20,374
La
Lastly, I'm 15 but I have a real passion for music, do you think this is too much money for such a young person?
My desk is pretty small, would the compass 2 9018 be too big or does it come with a long USB cable so I can move it somewhere somewhere else but still have it connected to my laptop?

If you're that young and you love music learn to play as many instruments as you can trust me you won't regret it. So that's what I would recommend you spend your money on.

Learning music and to play a wide variety of things will give you a very deep appreciation for music, especially if you already love it.

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:33 PM Post #7,653 of 20,374

Yep, I have stated before that the HE-500/HE-6 really doesn't play well with the Mjolnir, but the HE-5LE does. I am also a believer of quality over quantity with amping.

It's not that the HE-500 doesn't play well with it. IMO, it does. I was just expecting a huge difference, which didn't happen at all.

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #7,655 of 20,374
How do you guys like the he500 with the schiit lyr and bifrost uber

Funny you ask, I've been listening to such a set up for hours a day for a few days now!
frankly, I love it-  yet don't have a ton of comparison since I'm new to DAC/Amp Head-fi world and had the Uber BiFrost since May yet first paired with the Asgard2.
the A2 can certainly drive the HE-500, bass was superb and I didn't feel a "lack of power" at all with the A2 on High Gain switch.

if I didn't have other SS amps (DACport, DACmini) with other headphones (HD600), I likely would not have opted for trying a hybrid tube amp like the Lyr.

the Lyr (with Ediswan tubes) has taken the soundstage, separation and clarity up a notch for sure on the HD-500.  
bass seems a bit more refined, but not flabby either.
also gave the soundstage in some of my music a "taller" feel (not just wider) when picking out elements.

I didn't give the original GE tubes much time at all (a couple days) in the Lyr before the Ediswan tubes arrived.

With the added wattage of the Lyr, combined with flexibility of tubes (cheap or expensive, warm or transparent) the Lyr provides (to me) more "customizability" when other headphones besides the HE-500 or music sources come my way.  a tube tweak here or there can (de)emphasize whatever music "tonality" is the flavor of the month, especially since the HE-500 (to me) present almost every genre very well.

No buyers remorse for me on the Lyr at all, except for:
who wants to buy a mint condition A2?  :)

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:10 PM Post #7,656 of 20,374
  If you're that young and you love music learn to play as many instruments as you can trust me you won't regret it. So that's what I would recommend you spend your money on.

Learning music and to play a wide variety of things will give you a very deep appreciation for music, especially if you already love it.

A good instrument to start with? Shouldn't be too loud, nor too big but still big enough lol. I am thinking a bit about a violin or maybe just an acoustic guitar if I ever get to it.

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #7,657 of 20,374
Sorry I am now really confused whether I should buy the compass 2 or not? People don't seem to have found the setup very easy and it kinda makes me scared :/ would a schiit lyr and modi sound better than a compass 2 (not saying I can afford that)

Sep 9, 2013 at 9:26 PM Post #7,658 of 20,374
  A good instrument to start with? Shouldn't be too loud, nor too big but still big enough lol. I am thinking a bit about a violin or maybe just an acoustic guitar if I ever get to it.

Most instruments are pretty loud. I would suggest trumpet, piano or guitar.

Sep 10, 2013 at 12:00 AM Post #7,659 of 20,374

Most instruments are pretty loud. I would suggest trumpet, piano or guitar.

I concur.  17 is not a good age to start on violin!  Kind of very late already.

Sep 10, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #7,660 of 20,374
I have a question for those that own the HE-500. I'm strongly considering purchasing the HE-500 within the next few days. I want to know how well they pair up with my Magni/Modi stack. I read in a few places that they work pretty well together. Is this correct?

Sep 10, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #7,661 of 20,374
  I have a question for those that own the HE-500. I'm strongly considering purchasing the HE-500 within the next few days. I want to know how well they pair up with my Magni/Modi stack. I read in a few places that they work pretty well together. Is this correct?

If budget is tight then that combo would be one of the best options but the HE500 would benefit tremendously from a bit more power.  The HE500 does scale very well with better amps later on.

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #7,662 of 20,374
If budget is tight then that combo would be one of the best options but the HE500 would benefit tremendously from a bit more power.  The HE500 does scale very well with better amps later on.

Exactly,

I'm now using the Hifiman He-500 with Fiio E12, I've never experience this great combination before from the Chinese brand before :p
truly awesome.

Once I got extra money or in the retirement period, I am looking forward for the Japan (STAX-SR009) & USA (RSA Audio Dark Star) & UK (Toxic Cable) brand combination :cool:

Sep 10, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #7,663 of 20,374
Once I got extra money or in the retirement period, I am looking forward for the Japan (STAX-SR009) & USA (RSA Audio Dark Star) & UK (Toxic Cable) brand combination
cool.gif

strange combination...

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:00 AM Post #7,664 of 20,374
strange combination...

well, so far it is my dream combination based on the review and thread browse in this forum, at the moment I can only affords the Chinese made audiophile items which I use everyday and enjoy it (HE-500 and E12).

Sep 10, 2013 at 3:49 AM Post #7,665 of 20,374
well, so far it is my dream combination based on the review and thread browse in this forum, at the moment I can only affords the Chinese made audiophile items which I use everyday and enjoy it (HE-500 and E12).

okay. but you know that stax sr-009 needs a diferent amplifier and is not possible to put an aftermarket cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back