HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Aug 27, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #7,336 of 20,374
Who here wears spectacles?  I have plastic frames and damn they don't half dig into the bit above my ears, both sides become sore very quickly and i'm taking them off and putting them back on, over n over.  Any tips other than change the glasses frame and rotate the cup? 

When I'm working I'll have my glasses on with phones for at least 6 hours straight and I'm not noticing too much pressure from the frames. I switched to the velour pads and found them definitely more comfortable than the faux leather ones.

I had a pair of beyer dt770s and they were not as comfortable. They may have been lighter but the clamping force was alot greater.

Aug 28, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #7,337 of 20,374
Quote:
Who here wears spectacles?  I have plastic frames and damn they don't half dig into the bit above my ears, both sides become sore very quickly and i'm taking them off and putting them back on, over n over.  Any tips other than change the glasses frame and rotate the cup? 

I do something that my wife calls "really silly". Instead of resting the arms on my ears, I just rest them on the top of the earpad of the HE500. It does the trick when sitting and relaxing, even when browsing, but make it hella tricky to walk around. Beats having to buy another pair, or changing to contact lenses which is inconvenient for me and some other people. There's another option though - contacts. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 7:18 AM Post #7,339 of 20,374
Do you think the HE-6 is worth the headaches (hi powered amp) over the HE-500

The headaches can be a blessing in disguise.  If you can get your hands on some he-6 cables that end in banana plugs, you can attach those directly to a nice vintage stereo amp.  $200 for amp, $150 for new cable, total of $350 you COULD be tapping your feet to some tunes with the He-6 on top of your head. 

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:44 AM Post #7,340 of 20,374
Does anyone have foobar eq equalizer settings they can recommend for these? I've been playing around but can't get it quite right. There's not much information elsewhere on eq for the HE500s also

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #7,341 of 20,374
Quote:
Does anyone have foobar eq equalizer settings they can recommend for these? I've been playing around but can't get it quite right. There's not much information elsewhere on eq for the HE500s also

What exactly are you trying to change about the HE-500's sound?

Aug 29, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #7,342 of 20,374
I'm not 100% sure. I recently use the speaker taps via the topping TP60. The detail, clarity, airiness and transparency improved dramtically from using my NFB 15.32 DAC/AMP alone, but I feel like I've lost some bass and trying to get it back without losing that clarity and transparency I've achieved.  

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:04 AM Post #7,343 of 20,374
Quote:
I'm not 100% sure. I recently use the speaker taps via the topping TP60. The detail, clarity, airiness and transparency improved dramtically from using my NFB 15.32 DAC/AMP alone, but I feel like I've lost some bass and trying to get it back without losing that clarity and transparency I've achieved.  

It can be difficult to strike a balance with EQ because of how the bands interact with each other. Raising one band is the same as lowering all the others. If you try to EQ up the bass, you will probably perceive, to some extent, a loss in "detail, clarity, airiness and transparency." Even EQing out a treble peak (which are generally considered bad) can have a negative impact on perceived clarity and detail. I've found that boosting very specific frequencies on the far low end (say 30-60hz) still results in a noticeable reduction in detail. You have to find a balance based on how much bass/mids you need and how much detail you want. Where this balance lies differs from person to person.

I listen to HE-500 without EQ but I give my HD800 a slight downward tilt from left to right with about a 2db difference between the far low and high ends.

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #7,344 of 20,374
It can be difficult to strike a balance with EQ because of how the bands interact with each other. Raising one band is the same as lowering all the others. If you try to EQ up the bass, you will probably perceive, to some extent, a loss in "detail, clarity, airiness and transparency." Even EQing out a treble peak (which are generally considered bad) can have a negative impact on perceived clarity and detail. I've found that boosting very specific frequencies on the far low end (say 30-60hz) still results in a noticeable reduction in detail. You have to find a balance based on how much bass/mids you need and how much detail you want. Where this balance lies differs from person to person.

I listen to HE-500 without EQ but I give my HD800 a slight downward tilt from left to right with about a 2db difference between the far low and high ends.
Damn I was looking for something quick like someone who has EQed this which I could use as a starting point. It looks like I'll be fussing around for a while. Just when I think I have it right another song comes up which makes me think what in had before was better. This is killing my OCD. I wish I never found the foobar eq

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #7,345 of 20,374
Quote:

The headaches can be a blessing in disguise.  If you can get your hands on some he-6 cables that end in banana plugs, you can attach those directly to a nice vintage stereo amp.  $200 for amp, $150 for new cable, total of $350 you COULD be tapping your feet to some tunes with the He-6 on top of your head. 

But I'm a tube guy.   Love my HE-500's,  very intrigued by the HE-6's but a good tube amp that can power them seems impossible.  I have a Lyr stashed away and like it but its not the same as a full tube amp being a hybrid. 

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:17 AM Post #7,346 of 20,374
Quote:

I'm not a fan of the foobar EQ. Minor changes cause clipping for me, and the 31 band EQ add on doesn't bump up sub bass very well either.

I still haven't found a way to increase bass through foobar without overly affecting the overall sound either. The best solution I found so far, is using the hardware tone controls on my $20 Lepai amp. I can add a TON of bass in without affecting much else, but when you turn it on, you get amp hiss, compared to no hiss directly. Maybe run a small preamp with EQ?

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:25 AM Post #7,347 of 20,374
You should just be sure to avoid clipping. The plugin can even do that automatically.

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:27 AM Post #7,348 of 20,374
Or go vintage - those tone control circuit are quite decent despite their old age

Still every type of tone control also brings about other changes in the sound. Best tone control = no tone control, but that's just me 
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #7,349 of 20,374
I'm not a fan of the foobar EQ. Minor changes cause clipping for me, and the 31 band EQ add on doesn't bump up sub bass very well either.

I still haven't found a way to increase bass through foobar without overly affecting the overall sound either. The best solution I found so far, is using the hardware tone controls on my $20 Lepai amp. I can add a TON of bass in without affecting much else, but when you turn it on, you get amp hiss, compared to no hiss directly. Maybe run a small preamp with EQ?

You're right about the bass via the EQ on the foobar, it doesn't add much when increasing the levels then suddenly increasing by an extra notch it starts rumbling funny like clipping. I just need a touch of extra bass and not lose any clarity. Not too much yo ask is it

Aug 29, 2013 at 9:30 AM Post #7,350 of 20,374
Quote:
Damn I was looking for something quick like someone who has EQed this which I could use as a starting point. It looks like I'll be fussing around for a while. Just when I think I have it right another song comes up which makes me think what in had before was better. This is killing my OCD. I wish I never found the foobar eq

Have you done the Jerg pads/grill mods yet? That should help quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back