HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Apr 3, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #4,098 of 20,374
I'm pretty happy with my Q cable.  Almost don't even know it's there.  You can also look at Toxic or Moon Audio.  There are tons of others.

Quote:

Agreed. The stock cable is a very annoying cable due to microphonics. I am surprised it came with it. What are the good alternatives out there?

Apr 3, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #4,099 of 20,374
Quote:

Agreed. The stock cable is a very annoying cable due to microphonics. I am surprised it came with it. What are the good alternatives out there?

That would be the ones I have for sale...
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #4,103 of 20,374
Quote:

The whole pair.  It's a Norse Audio cable.

I have another alternative for sale..a custommade Double Helix Cables Molecule Quicksilver cable..its a copper cable..used on my he300 then on my 400 and last but not least on my he500 ..the sleeve almost looks like the skin of a white snake.
i bought it in dec. 2011.
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2013 at 9:01 PM Post #4,104 of 20,374
Quote:

Headphone Lounge works quite well.

Apr 4, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #4,105 of 20,374
Just got my 500's yesterday, burning them in per the instructions. Should be receiving my Bellari amp next week. These are my first high end cans and right out of the box, I'm impressed. Very detailed sound.  

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #4,106 of 20,374
So....by reading this thread I have learned that in order to make my HE-500 sound the best I need to chop up some pleather pads and use only the darkvoice 337 (but have to tube roll) hooked up with toxic cables. And after all that it still won't be as good as the HE-6 from an emotiva. 

That about right everybody?

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #4,107 of 20,374
Quote:
So....by reading this thread I have learned that in order to make my HE-500 sound the best I need to chop up some pleather pads and use only the darkvoice 337 (but have to tube roll) hooked up with toxic cables. And after all that it still won't be as good as the HE-6 from an emotiva. 

I know people said the 337 does sound good, but I would think the lower impedance of the HE-500 would be a better match with other amplifiers. The little dot 6 I thought beat the 337 when I compared them side by side (albeit with a different headphone). The 337 is set to work better with higher impedance headphones. 

Honestly, why not get the Emotiva and the HE-500? I use this pairing all the time, and I love it. I think it beats the socks of the soloist I had. 

Apr 4, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #4,108 of 20,374
Quote:

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:02 PM Post #4,109 of 20,374
Quote:

Come on guys..this is getting out of context and out of control here..

so Nope..its only all about everyones opinions...other amps do perfectly with he500 also..like the v200, the 339, the woo audio wa7, wa2se, emotiva, and i just found out the littledot also..

i myself am going to upgrade to a better amp for my he500..i only stated that the 337 pairs well with the he500 for the affordable price it costs (with right tubes..lolz) and ofcourse u have other quality cable makers..i once heared a norse audio cable and it sounded really good..albeit that it was on a hd800...i listened to dhc cables ( have one for sale by the way) also very good quality cables..the bottlehead crack does well also as amp.

.should i go on?

most important thing is that UR EARS tell u u have the right synergy in ur rig and with ur headphones..whether he500/hd800/lcd/th900 or other phones...there is not one best combo..it all depends on several different variables.i once stated in the past....even ur mood at that moment..some say emotiva is good choice for he500.. If they are happy with that..i respect that..if others believe u can only get the best out of a higher end can by investing 1000'ends of usd..so be it..it that makes their ears happy...we have to respect each others opinions guys..i even deeply believed my mstage drove my he500 perfectly!

we are here to share opinions and experiences..we have one thing in common..music makes us happy..

if i believe that my rig sounds wonderfull for the price i paid for it in total...then to me its heaven..other may not agree with me..and thats okay..
wink.gif

by the way..my 337 and my hm602 will be on sale in november when my new custommade dac/amp comes in..not being darkvoice lolz..

Ps..a he6 on a quality integrated amp always wins from a he500..no matter what amp or cables they use with the he500...everyone knows that..

and for anyones information..before u state that an amp is not right for a certain phone..check the appropiate thread (in this case the 339 thread)..u will be surprised what u read there...as i once said..i was a tube hater..but once i heared a 337 i was sold....and got one myself.

u dont need to believe me guys...but really..try one..even to show the 337/339 admirors they are wrong..its a shame that that excellent amp is not wellknown....its affordable and built like a tank to last...and really sounds very good.
my next step is blue circle audio..but thats much much much more expensive..lolz

Apr 4, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #4,110 of 20,374
Quote:

I'd say the "cut up the pads" part will yield you the biggest improvements in sound by far, just because the earpads are such a big modifier of the sound from the drivers to your ears that careful changes to the pads cause sweeping changes in FR, decay, and extension. Cables will give you some tonal adjustment (warmer lusher vs colder more precise sound) but it'd be fairly subtle even with HE500's transparency. Ditto with amplification choices.

That said HE500 will never reach HE6's level of finesse, in the end they are two completely different leagues of drivers. However you might find that subjective preference tends to weigh voicing more than finesse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back