HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Apr 6, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #4,127 of 20,386
Hello,

I have been a lurker here in headfi looking at reviews and what not. I am currently looking at a new pair of headphones and I stumbled upon the he-500. I read that it has a great price/performance ratio and it got me really interested.

A little bit of background, i am currently using Westone 4R with my ipod touch 5th -> clas -> continental v3 setup. I love the sound but now i am venturing towards a headphone that would best compliment my iem. I listen mostly to rap, r&b, acoustics, and sometimes classical music.

Do you think the he-500 would be a good step for me as far as headphones go?

Thanks in advance.

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:10 AM Post #4,128 of 20,386
Quote:
Hello,

I have been a lurker here in headfi looking at reviews and what not. I am currently looking at a new pair of headphones and I stumbled upon the he-500. I read that it has a great price/performance ratio and it got me really interested.

A little bit of background, i am currently using Westone 4R with my ipod touch 5th -> clas -> continental v3 setup. I love the sound but now i am venturing towards a headphone that would best compliment my iem. I listen mostly to rap, r&b, acoustics, and sometimes classical music.

Thanks in advance.

Both HE-500 or LCD-2 would do fine for those genres, depending on your budget and preference. LCD-2 will probably suit you better, although HE-500 will also work quite nicely.

Apr 7, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #4,129 of 20,386
Quote:
Hello,

Thanks in advance.

if you are happy with the what your westone IEM does with those genres, then I think you would be very pleased with the HE-500.

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #4,130 of 20,386
@zoom25

Thanks for the response, i have been looking at the lcd 2 but unfortunately it is twice the price of the he-500 where i'm from so it is pretty much out of my budget right now. :frowning2:

@Llloyd

Yes I do enjoy my choice of music through the westone 4r so I will try out the he-500. :)

Not sure if you guys have tried he-500 through the continental but do you think it will deliver proper amping to it?

Thanks again.

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #4,131 of 20,386
Quote:
@zoom25

Thanks for the response, i have been looking at the lcd 2 but unfortunately it is twice the price of the he-500 where i'm from so it is pretty much out of my budget right now.
frown.gif

Ya I know what you mean. I initially bought the HE-500 for around half the price of LCD-2 used. Did me well for a long time. Saved up for a few months until I could get the LCD-2s. Additionally, I don't know if you already know this, but Hifiman is quite wonderful in their shipping rates as well as in customs/taxes (they list the value at $20). Audeze on the other hand, being American, will declare the full value lawfully. I picked up my LCD-2s used and saved quite a bit of money (as well burn in time).

Apr 7, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #4,132 of 20,386
Quote:
@zoom25

Thanks for the response, i have been looking at the lcd 2 but unfortunately it is twice the price of the he-500 where i'm from so it is pretty much out of my budget right now.
frown.gif

@Llloyd

Yes I do enjoy my choice of music through the westone 4r so I will try out the he-500. :)

Not sure if you guys have tried he-500 through the continental but do you think it will deliver proper amping to it?

Thanks again.

I haven't tried the continental but it should provide reasonable amping.  I've used tube amps with similar properties, probably worse than the continental without a problem. The RX3 or whatever might be a better bet if you really want to use your HE-500 out of a portable rig constantly.  I doubt you will be displeased with the continental/500 combo.  Here's something I guess you should consider as a general thing with IEMs vs the HE-500, just a heads up I guess. IEMs usually have very clear instrument seperation and with the HE-500, those lines are more blurred which people say gives it a much more natural sound. Rest assured you can hear everything in great detail, it just takes a little while to get used to. It's not a shocking phone the first time you listen to it.

Apr 7, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #4,133 of 20,386
I haven't tried the continental but it should provide reasonable amping.  I've used tube amps with similar properties, probably worse than the continental without a problem. The RX3 or whatever might be a better bet if you really want to use your HE-500 out of a portable rig constantly.  I doubt you will be displeased with the continental/500 combo.  Here's something I guess you should consider as a general thing with IEMs vs the HE-500, just a heads up I guess. IEMs usually have very clear instrument seperation and with the HE-500, those lines are more blurred which people say gives it a much more natural sound. Rest assured you can hear everything in great detail, it just takes a little while to get used to. It's not a shocking phone the first time you listen to it.

+1 i agree..i had same experience when i changed to big phones from westone's um3x. :D

Apr 7, 2013 at 6:48 PM Post #4,135 of 20,386
Sorry, tablet is acting up. Anyway, these are my first high end cans. I hate to use a cliche but I am hearing some detail in recordings that I know very well that I never heard before. I have hezrd some other highly regarded headphones before but these are just phenomenal.

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:02 PM Post #4,137 of 20,386
Quote:
Got my 500's playing through a Bellari amp with a JJ tube that is connected to an Emotiva dac. Stock cable, stock valour pads....

Which Bellari amp are you using? The first amp I matched up the HE-500 with was a Bellari HA540. Very promising and resolving amp. Have since parted with it. It matched fantastically well with Sennheiser hps though; somewhat wish I still had it for those. Glad you're liking the Hifimans.

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:27 PM Post #4,138 of 20,386
Which Bellari amp are you using? The first amp I matched up the HE-500 with was a Bellari HA540. Very promising and resolving amp. Have since parted with it. It matched fantastically well with Sennheiser hps though; somewhat wish I still had it for those. Glad you're liking the Hifimans.

Yes, it's the 540. I got a JJ tube for it, not sure which model. What are you driving your 500's with now?

Apr 7, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #4,139 of 20,386
At the risk of getting flamed here, my current go-to amp for the HE-500 is a Kenwood KA-405 integrated amp. It has everything that I have ever wanted or wished the HE-500 could give me. It's absolutely fabulous - I'm listening to that set up right now. (Just a minor caveat - I have the Hifiman hooked up via a 4-pin XLR cable to the amp's speaker posts - I don't use the TRS for it.)

The Bellari was really good. I could really sense the promise it had; it just couldn't get over the edge especially when I was ready to groove and somewhat crank up the volume (I tend to listen on the loud side of things anyway). At normal to quiet volumes it was superb. Actually it is a very underrated amp for what it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back