HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Apr 8, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #4,141 of 20,386
OKay Had the HD650's and I disliked them.

Bit the bullet and purchased the HE-500's.....I also own the grado Rs1's.

These are so far ahead of those headphones its quite scary. For the price you pay for these, I can't believe the sound they produce. I auditioned the LCD2 and T1's These sounded better than the T1's and to my ears equal to the LCD2.......for $500 cheaper that is a real bargin.

question what pads do you guys use? velour or pleather? 

I too like a few others have reached the end of the road with audio enjoyment with these headphones. I can't see myself upgrading from here. 

thanks. 

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:54 AM Post #4,142 of 20,386
Quote:

These are so far ahead of those headphones its quite scary. For the price you pay for these, I can't believe the sound they produce. I auditioned the LCD2 and T1's These sounded better than the T1's and to my ears equal to the LCD2.......for $500 cheaper that is a real bargin.

I too like a few others have reached the end of the road with audio enjoyment with these headphones. I can't see myself upgrading from here. 

thanks. 

Started with velour, went to leather and back to velour.

Regarding LCD-2, these take longer than HE-500 to start fully appreciating. You might be surprised with the LCD-2s when you use them for a few days.

Enjoy your HE-500s
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2013 at 2:55 AM Post #4,143 of 20,386
^you'll see, you will probably find flaws becoming more apparent the next couple of months. Which pads do you prefer? The general consensus is that the velour pads/modded pleather pads sound best. But not stock pleathers.

Apr 8, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #4,145 of 20,386
Quote:

thanks. 

Best pads I have found so far are the Mad Dog pads. Super comfy

Apr 8, 2013 at 4:57 AM Post #4,147 of 20,386
I'm enjoying listening to my HE500's through my Fostex HP-A3 today, but everything I read indicates I need more power to really get the best out of these. Is this true, or is the HP-A3 sufficient?

Apr 8, 2013 at 5:48 AM Post #4,149 of 20,386
Quote:
I'm enjoying listening to my HE500's through my Fostex HP-A3 today, but everything I read indicates I need more power to really get the best out of these. Is this true, or is the HP-A3 sufficient?

As much as I'd love to say no (I loved the HP-A3 w/ the 500s), I must admit I heard a quite big improvement when going for the SA-31. The sound is bigger overall (in all aspects).
The sole amp costs twice as much as the - convenient all-in-one USB-powered - fostex, though :wink:

My experience w/ the Fostex & 500s was prior I discovered the benefit of Kernel Streaming / WASAPI and JRiver -> I was using Winamp w/ waveout or direct sound (don't remember which).
Technically, I would certainly have experienced a big jump in overall quality! Was struck me was the natural and very convincing  voicing of the duo (the Fostex is very transparent and smooth/natural).

You might well try the HP-A8 if you want to be sure of the resulting voicing :D 

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #4,150 of 20,386
Quote:

As much as I'd love to say no (I loved the HP-A3 w/ the 500s), I must admit I heard a quite big improvement when going for the SA-31. The sound is bigger overall (in all aspects).
The sole amp costs twice as much as the - convenient all-in-one USB-powered - fostex, though :wink:

My experience w/ the Fostex & 500s was prior I discovered the benefit of Kernel Streaming / WASAPI and JRiver -> I was using Winamp w/ waveout or direct sound (don't remember which).
Technically, I would certainly have experienced a big jump in overall quality! Was struck me was the natural and very convincing  voicing of the duo (the Fostex is very transparent and smooth/natural).

You might well try the HP-A8 if you want to be sure of the resulting voicing :D 

Damn, I was hoping to save some money :p

I have been eyeing off the HP-A8 for a while; I just don't have the cash for this expensive hobby... lol

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #4,151 of 20,386
So these HE-500s are the first headphones I've ever owned, but are they supposed to feel so heavy?

Would changing the pads to the velour ones help in this regard? (comfort)   Seems to feel better; but may just be psychological.
Thanks.

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:30 AM Post #4,152 of 20,386
I prefer the velour for sure. 

+1 velours for me too...but..someone is making a pair of jergmodded pleathers for me..so who knows..maybe i will cross over to the pleather camp. :D

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:32 AM Post #4,153 of 20,386
Is it just me or do the valour pads improve the sound quality? with the valour's (to me) they sound closer to LCD2 sound sig or a really improved HD650, where as the leather pads are more bright? 

Apr 8, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #4,154 of 20,386
^It isn't that black and white

Users who are viewing this thread

Back