HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jan 13, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #873 of 20,374
I second this^

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 14, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #875 of 20,374
I got mine from Thoman.de (at the same time as the Beyer pads) for about €10 plus shipping

Jan 15, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #876 of 20,374
Jan 16, 2012 at 8:54 PM Post #877 of 20,374
I was away from headfi for a couple of months and i am glad to see that the price of the he500 was lowered. In my initial impressions I thought they were a really great can, but compared to the lcd2, they were just a slight step down.  I said back then that they would be an awesome can if they dropped the price by 100 -200 dollars. They are well worth there money at there current price and I am glad that they are getting a little love now.

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #878 of 20,374

Welcome back! You need to try the new velour pads; it takes the HE-500 much closer to the LCD-2. I kid you not
biggrin.gif

Quote:
I was away from headfi for a couple of months and i am glad to see that the price of the he500 was lowered. In my initial impressions I thought they were a really great can, but compared to the lcd2, they were just a slight step down.  I said back then that they would be an awesome can if they dropped the price by 100 -200 dollars. They are well worth there money at there current price and I am glad that they are getting a little love now.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #879 of 20,374
I agree, the new HE-500 are an improvement over the previous "version". I like them better than the LCD-2 Rev.2 (recabled or not). I still feel the HE-6 are better, but not by a huge margin, and that's with a beastly amp behind them.

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #880 of 20,374
I haven't been keeping up with the HE-500 developments.  I have an early unit with the velour earpads.  It seems they switched to a newer pad?  I already liked the HE-500 more than the LCD-2 (sold mine) but would like to try any improvements that have bee made since they came out.

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:04 AM Post #881 of 20,374

Quote:
I haven't been keeping up with the HE-500 developments.  I have an early unit with the velour earpads.  It seems they switched to a newer pad?  I already liked the HE-500 more than the LCD-2 (sold mine) but would like to try any improvements that have bee made since they came out.

They switched to new velour pads, which can be ordered from Head-Direct for $10 + shipping. Leather pads are also included now, but I find velour to sound better.
Also, the HE-500 now use a light, flexible silver cable instead of a thick copper one. I feel the switch has noticeably improved the sound, particularly WRT speed and detail.

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #882 of 20,374

Quote:
They switched to new velour pads, which can be ordered from Head-Direct for $10 + shipping. Leather pads are also included now, but I find velour to sound better.
Also, the HE-500 now use a light, flexible silver cable instead of a thick copper one. I feel the switch has noticeably improved the sound, particularly WRT speed and detail.

Thanks

I ordered the two sets (leather and velour) for comparison, and a travel case while I was there.  I didn't see the option for the cable or I would have ordered that as well, maybe I will reach out to Fang directly on that.  Just FYI I also ordered the Anedio D2 today to see if the extra power it has over the D1 has any impact when paired with the HE-500.  The D1 is already extremely transparent and a great match for the HE-500 so it will be interesting to see if I can tell the difference.

Jan 22, 2012 at 10:53 PM Post #883 of 20,374
I'm considering getting an HE-500 but I'm new to the high end scene.  I was thinking about amping with the EF-5, source being my laptop, but I'm lost on finding a worthwhile DAC.  I've seen the HDP (DAC and Amp), or I could do something like the HRT Music Streamer II with the EF-5, or something else?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Jan 23, 2012 at 2:54 AM Post #884 of 20,374

Quote:
I'm considering getting an HE-500 but I'm new to the high end scene.  I was thinking about amping with the EF-5, source being my laptop, but I'm lost on finding a worthwhile DAC.  I've seen the HDP (DAC and Amp), or I could do something like the HRT Music Streamer II with the EF-5, or something else?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I like the synergy between the HE-500 and EF5 amp.  On a budget you could use the HRT (which I haven't heard), or something like a uDAC-2 or Audioengine D1 as well which have very nice sounding RCA line-out.

Jan 24, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #885 of 20,374
If I had to repick my amp/dac for my HE-500 I'd probably pick the CEntrance Dacmini.  You could also go dacport + EF5.  That might be a little too expensive for you though.  I've heard nice things about the music streamer for the price.  I think it's pretty well respected in its price range.  People just like the eye candy of different products for the most part though which the music streamer doesn't really offer.  I think you could be very content with the music streamer + ef5 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back