HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jun 16, 2011 at 1:54 AM Post #272 of 20,374
Yup, I hear ya man.  Cords aside, how comfortable would you say the headphone is?  Is it one of those that you can wear for hours and barely even notice it's there?  My old Senn. HD 500 were pretty much like that.  My newer HFI-580s on the other hand, no way. It's like someone cleaved my skull open with a dull hatchet if I leave them on for any length of time.

Jun 16, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #273 of 20,374
My impression? Absolutely amazing. Beats every dynamic flagship I have, except for possibly the T1, and at a far lower price. Only complaints are weight and that it seems to leak more than other top open cans, aside from the HD800. I also vastly prefer it to the LCD-2, but I don't like dark laid back kind of sound so that's not surprising.

Jun 16, 2011 at 5:36 AM Post #274 of 20,374

Quote:
Arggghhh, head-direct is killing me!  After lurking around here for a couple months, I finally jumped off the deep end on June 5th and ordered the HE-500.  After going back and forth with customer service for the last week trying to get a tracking number, I just found out a couple hours ago that my 'phones aren't going to ship until next week because "factory adjusted the cable of the headphone."  Hopefully it'll be that HE-6 cable that everyone seems to lust after.  Gotta admit though, I'm starting to wonder if I should have just ordered the LCD-2s instead, as I'm still somewhat of a basshead... and am extremely impatient when it comes to waiting for new toys to arrive
blink.gif

Why don't you get the LCD2 then, better bass and better customer service too? 
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 16, 2011 at 11:14 AM Post #276 of 20,374
They're a little slow to answer emails, but Head-Direct remedied and error in my PayPal shipping address very quickly when I emailed them about it. Got to me safe and sound with no mix ups. 

I think they did a great job the 2 times I've bought from them. (Head-Direct)

EDIT: Has anyone that's tried/own these compared them with some top shelf IEMs? I love the sound sig of these and want an IEM similar.

Quote:
That's not all that matters, I adore my HE500 and dislike my LCD-2.

Also I decided not to order from Head Direct two days ago, ordered from Audio Adviser because they had one day shipping available. Looks like I made the right choice.

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #277 of 20,374

Quote:
That's not all that matters, I adore my HE500 and dislike my LCD-2.

Also I decided not to order from Head Direct two days ago, ordered from Audio Adviser because they had one day shipping available. Looks like I made the right choice.

Good look on Audio Adviser, many thanks.  I called them up, they had the HE-500 in stock, it's shipping tomorrow, and should be landing on my head in 2-3 business days with free shipping.  Astoundingly better than head direct's $20 shipping and likely 20-30 day turn around time (though to be fair, that delay is probably an outlier).  Since they were shipping direct from China, it was still gonna be 7-10 days till delivery after they shipped.  Rubbish!

Definitely still curious about the LCD-2; I figure that once they get their driver issue fully sorted (and my wallet recovers), I'll grab a pair of those and consider selling the one I like the least (or keep both
confused_face.gif
... "welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet" indeed)

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #278 of 20,374
Since they were shipping direct from China, it was still gonna be 7-10 days till delivery after they shipped.  Rubbish

I ordered my HE-6 on the 15th of Dec. and they were on my head on the evening of the 20th and broke in for Christmas Morn. I think the Chinese have better established routes into our distribution system than we do. You won't get overnight delivery (unless HiFiMan has stock in NY) from China but 7-10 days would be unusual to a US destination.

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #279 of 20,374

Quote:
Since they were shipping direct from China, it was still gonna be 7-10 days till delivery after they shipped.  Rubbish

I ordered my HE-6 on the 15th of Dec. and they were on my head on the evening of the 20th and broke in for Christmas Morn. I think the Chinese have better established routes into our distribution system than we do. You won't get overnight delivery (unless HiFiMan has stock in NY) from China but 7-10 days would be unusual to a US destination.

True, the 7-10 days was just the estimate I got from Head Direct.  Though, even if the shipping was like 3 days, in my case that'd still be almost 20 days since I placed my order, totally lame.

Jun 17, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #280 of 20,374
I'm disappointed by Head-Direct's lack of communication (and misinformation)...

1) I pay them on June 8th and get an email requesting a phone number on June 9th.
2) I don't hear back from them so I email them 5 days later on June 13th and they tell me that the HE-500 were out of stock and will be shipped today (13th).
3) I come to Head-Fi and find out that apparently the cable has been changed...so I email Head-Direct and realize they lied to me. Now they tell me "yes, shipping is delayed for changing the cable of the headphones"
4) OK...I ask them what kind of cable. They tell me "I don't know what it is like now. sorry for that."

Not sure if Head-Direct hired some bad apples recently, but this is the first time I've had a rotten experience with them (dealt with Fang and co. 3 times before).

Jun 17, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #281 of 20,374
I am waiting for mine too. I will just have to deal with listening to these lcd2 cans until they arrive. Bummer
tongue.gif

Jun 17, 2011 at 3:48 AM Post #282 of 20,374
Hi,
I'm getting the HE-500 and will initially be driving it with my speaker amps (Onkyo AV-5L and Creek Destiny 2) but I suppose having a dedicated headphone amp/dac will be an improvement (or will it?).
Can anyone advise me on which affordable amp/dacs have good synergy with the HE-500?
I would really like an integrated amp/dac with USB, as this will save me having to get interconnects and run extra power chords. Portable would be fine too, as long as the price was right (around $500).
I live in the UK and many of the US amps are hard to get here. 
I listen mainly to Latin music and the occasional classical.
Any advice will be welcome,
T.

Jun 17, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #283 of 20,374

Quote:
Hi,
I'm getting the HE-500 and will initially be driving it with my speaker amps (Onkyo AV-5L and Creek Destiny 2) but I suppose having a dedicated headphone amp/dac will be an improvement (or will it?).
Can anyone advise me on which affordable amp/dacs have good synergy with the HE-500?
I would really like an integrated amp/dac with USB, as this will save me having to get interconnects and run extra power chords. Portable would be fine too, as long as the price was right (around $500).
I live in the UK and many of the US amps are hard to get here. 
I listen mainly to Latin music and the occasional classical.
Any advice will be welcome,
T.

The HDP like what you're looking for. Wonderful amp/dac combo for the price, works very well with all of my cans, including the HE500.

Jun 17, 2011 at 4:57 PM Post #284 of 20,374
I have not ordered any HiFiMAN before from HD, and this time I´m a little skeptic. The headphones are payed via PayPal, but "the cable story" is haunting my order as well. "Next week" it is. Hope that materialize to being the real deal. 

Jun 17, 2011 at 5:22 PM Post #285 of 20,374
I want to find out what is different about this new cable, if its an improvement i will most likely purchase one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back