HiFiman HE-500 (HE as in High End) Proving to be an enjoyable experience in listening.
Jun 14, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #256 of 20,386

Quote:
I had the 500s in the house again last week. While they certainly are top notch headphones, I missed my 6s. They are back on the job and I bid fare well to the 500s. I think I might see them again as a replacement for my RS-1s, but not before upgrading my DAC.

Transatlantic "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" is putting a grin on this happy camper.

The HE6 is better and especially if you like solid state. But for tube amps the hE500 is the ticket because they are easy to drive. The biggest differences are more transparency deeper bass and more extended treble but you need the juice due and with the 500 you can get nice results with one watt. One watt wont cut the HE6 you need 8-15W to really make them shine IMO.

Jun 15, 2011 at 7:33 AM Post #257 of 20,386
I do like the sound coming our of the HE500 on my tube Decware Taboo rig. These are much easier to drive and in review I will note the difference between  these and the HE6. The 500 works well on my tube amps. I would still recommend a transformer based amp as even though they are easier to drive IMO they sound better with the power I am getting out of the TabooI listened briefly on the CSP-2 and it does work but sound better on the Taboo. bass is very textured on the 500 and treble is clean and extended but these are two areas where the HE6 are better not by much but still better. Both are well extended and will keep me satisfied.

Jun 15, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #258 of 20,386
And that's why they're going on my new portable rig. :D

Quote:
The HE6 is better and especially if you like solid state. But for tube amps the hE500 is the ticket because they are easy to drive. The biggest differences are more transparency deeper bass and more extended treble but you need the juice due and with the 500 you can get nice results with one watt. One watt wont cut the HE6 you need 8-15W to really make them shine IMO.

Jun 15, 2011 at 10:39 PM Post #261 of 20,386
I hope you enjoy the new toys, my new toy syndrome has worn off for my HE-500's. Been sitting on my desk the past 4 days.

Quote:
Slightly under if my math is correct, but not too shabby. Certainly enough to make them sound good. 

Sure, it won't compare to my 2238, but I don't expect it to.

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #265 of 20,386
LOL... I sold every single headphone i owned and ended up back with a pair of them. Only headphone to make me smile so often. Even the HE-500's havent come close to the enjoyment i have gotten from them. But each to there own.

Quote:
MS-1s. Gross. :D

See, with the brick I can cruise around the house with HE 500s! Oh happy day.

Jun 15, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #266 of 20,386
LOL... I sold every single headphone i owned and ended up back with a pair of them. Only headphone to make me smile so often. Even the HE-500's havent come close to the enjoyment i have gotten from them. But each to there own.

HE 500 has been the only headphone to make me cry. Love 'em.

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #267 of 20,386
Im actually not sure if i enjoy the sound after burn in... When i first put them on the wowed me quite alot. Right now everything sounds to uneven.

Quote:
Quote:

HE 500 has been the only headphone to make me cry. Love 'em.

Jun 16, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #268 of 20,386
Arggghhh, head-direct is killing me!  After lurking around here for a couple months, I finally jumped off the deep end on June 5th and ordered the HE-500.  After going back and forth with customer service for the last week trying to get a tracking number, I just found out a couple hours ago that my 'phones aren't going to ship until next week because "factory adjusted the cable of the headphone."  Hopefully it'll be that HE-6 cable that everyone seems to lust after.  Gotta admit though, I'm starting to wonder if I should have just ordered the LCD-2s instead, as I'm still somewhat of a basshead... and am extremely impatient when it comes to waiting for new toys to arrive
blink.gif

Jun 16, 2011 at 1:03 AM Post #269 of 20,386
Arggghhh, head-direct is killing me!  After lurking around here for a couple months, I finally jumped off the deep end on June 5th and ordered the HE-500.  After going back and forth with customer service for the last week trying to get a tracking number, I just found out a couple hours ago that my 'phones aren't going to ship until next week because "factory adjusted the cable of the headphone."  Hopefully it'll be that HE-6 cable that everyone seems to lust after.  Gotta admit though, I'm starting to wonder if I should have just ordered the LCD-2s instead, as I'm still somewhat of a basshead... and am extremely impatient when it comes to waiting for new toys to arrive
blink.gif

Better not be a new cable. I'll be sad... D:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back